The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UPDATE: Something's Gone Wrong!

Fitz

Apologies for the ignorance here but speaking with Keron last night and he mentioned something to me.

As previously I changed plugs 1,2,5 and 6 - then ran the car fine would that mean that the rattling noise would only be coming from 3/4? As the problem only arose after changing plugs 3 & 4 and the rotor arm, dizzy cap and HT Leads. The metal fragments were found in #4 so initially I'm assuming that something is still in either 3/4? However, not knowing a great deal about engines etc - woul it still be contained in the chamber or is it possible to jump around down channels 1-6?

Its impossible for a foriegn body to travel from cylinder to cylinder, its got to be still in 3/4 I would check thoroughly in them cylinders before any further.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apologies for the ignorance here but speaking with Keron last night and he mentioned something to me.

As previously I changed plugs 1,2,5 and 6 - then ran the car fine would that mean that the rattling noise would only be coming from 3/4? As the problem only arose after changing plugs 3 & 4 and the rotor arm, dizzy cap and HT Leads. The metal fragments were found in #4 so initially I'm assuming that something is still in either 3/4? However, not knowing a great deal about engines etc - woul it still be contained in the chamber or is it possible to jump around down channels 1-6?

That sounds logical for it still to be in cylinder 3/4. I don't think they can jump into other cylinders so whatever got stuck within that cylinder is probably still there.

Sorry to hear all the trouble you are having, but it sounds like something is still down there possibly. Could you ask any local garages if they have a boroscope to have a proper look. Hopefully it is just a small piece that is stuck there and can be whipped out.

The only place something in the combustion chamber can go is out the exhaust port or

maybe out the inlet port but i doubt that would happen.

Sometimes bits can get stuck in the head or piston crown and then you get more of

a constant knocking noise rather than your rattleing around noise.

If its still rattleing then something is still in the cylinder in my opinion, as i said just get

hold of a boroscope and look in through the plug holes of 3 and 4, this is far cheaper than taking the head off and putting it back on

did you manually turn the engine as you went down each piston? ie did you get each piston at the bottom of its stroke to give yourself the best chance of extracting any bits?

Yeah, my dad went about that also checking the valves too.

- - - Updated - - -

Possible then other fragments weren't were metal\magnetic?

Must be, possibility of a plastic object in there. Wouldn't have thought it would have lasted long though.

Just left the house so before I left I took a quick video as requested. It rattled when I initially started it then went away. You'll hear after quickly blipping the throttle that it comes back.

Is it possible it lodged itself somewhere? Also after switching off the engine I went by the exhaust and it smelt of petrol and a burning smell? The car hasn't been fired up/revved in almost 2 months. Could this be the cause or could it be related to my problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH5TSUFiD5g

Video #2

It sounds a bit "perfect" to be a foreign body loose in a cylinder to me. I mean, it isn't an irratic rattle, of something bouncing around if you know what I mean.

It sounds to me like something is stuck somewhere and is knocking on a piston or something, rather than being loose.

I have taken a close look at this pic and the screw and fragments look to be brothers, the threads and washer are there but not the head of the screw and that's the piece you may still find in the same cylinder.

It's not clear, but is there a little spring washer on it too?

attachment.php?attachmentid=162278&d=1356716948

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think we'll call it a day there. Ben (SZ-R) kindly came round to my house today with his mate Darren to look at the car and to see if they could diagnose what was still in the engine.

So he fired it up first to see if he could get an indication of where the noise was coming from and told me straight away that it seemed as though it was buggered.

We took out plugs 3&4 and had a nose round with the boroscope. The first one we looked at was #4 and it seems there is a chunk of piston missing. The surface of the piston looks like its taken a beating and there is a 'H' scratch on the top which looks to be the initial point of impact for the screw. Also, there are fragments of metal which have managed to wedge themselves between the sidewall and the piston so it is scratching the inside of the cylinder. So that would mean it would need to be bored etc.

As this is an NA engine, I'm not going to bother with it. This is the 2nd GE engine in 12 months I've been through, I'll get some pics up later for you of pistons 3&4.

Time of death: 12:55pm on Saturday 12th January 2013.

So he fired it up first to see if he could get an indication of where the noise was coming from and told me straight away that it seemed as though it was buggered.

Slightly more politely than I put it, but yeah, she ain't healthy!

Shame we couldn't get a clearer picture, but there's definately some damage in there. Only real way to see what's going on i suppose is to open her up. RIP GE#2 lol

The plan is to join the many others for a TT engine hunt and go NA-TT. But if I get real fucked off with waiting then eventually I may drop another NA lump in there and just get rid of her.

b;3576567']Sorry to hear dude :(

Chunks of piston missing

Damaged sidewalks

Pieces of metal in cylinder

Does spell the end of the engine as it is at the moment :-( what's new plan then dude - another N/A engine to drop into her?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358113825.183207.jpg

This is the picture in cylinder #4 this is the piston that has the debris trapped down the sidewall etc. you can see the top of the piston what looks to be a 'H' symbol. Ben thought (and I agree) that it looks to be an initial point of impact for the screw. The image appears to be the screw and the washer indented on the top.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358114074.972246.jpg

Apologies for this being upside down but you can see the image fine. This was on the top of the piston in cylinder 3 and appears to be an dent of some form.

:( sad times.