The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to stop rear end stepping out?

Chucky_waR

As said the main thing with tyre pressures is that they are the same each side, if not they can give some squirming and direction changes when coming on or off the throttle.

I agree with all the time of the year stuff and also I can't see that normal even good quality road tyres can allow you to get the most from a single. My old stock powered tt's could get entertaining with heavy throttle openings in less than ideal conditions, these singles run double and yet often have the same tyres just a inch or two wider. R888's and the like must be seriously considered IMO on every medium/high powered single build, what's the point of power without traction?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock UK is 36 front and rear.

I keep mine around 34-36, i try to keep them exactly the same from side to side.

With my car being a weekend toy i check them everytime i use it.

I go with 34 front and 32 rear and that seems good on the stock wheels and tyre sizes.

Thanks all.. So here's what I will do in this order..

Check tyre pressure (34 to 36)

Do a geo setup (Dude I will give you a call)

Replace rear tyres (r888's if possible)

Go for Syvecs (later this year though or search for a pre-owned one that might come on for sale)

I might have to kidnap Jamie to teach me......

Now now lets not be too hasty Dunk if he can back up his choice with results and theory then he might be onto something.

Toyotas spec will be for the reccomended tyres and a very normal driving style, just look at bikes, I used to drop at least 6 psi out the tyres for a track day to allow for the fact they will get that much hotter, pressures will also be to optimise wear which we prob arent worried about, but diff tyres will need diff pressures from make to make.

now if a tyre wears out quicker what must be happening for it to do that

Not quicker dude, if you set the car like a race car for optimum handling you may run so much +ve rear camber the inner edges will wear and the car may be twitchy hence those settings will be miles from Toyotas designed for a fully laden car driven by the fat family at 60 mph, does that make sense, the more load in the car the higher the pressure, their reccomended will prob be 2 adults and 1 kid with luggage, the adults may be fat yanks.....how many of us do those settings now apply to??

ha i doubt that applies to many supra owners at all, any how i have always run a couple less at the rear and not going to change it i like the way it handles / loses grip :D

Your setting is prob a bit conservative for the way you drive Gary, 30 psi would sound better, sure when you are bimbling around the centre of the tyre will be not quite as hard on the road as with 36 but when you press on and the pres in tyre raises with heat it will sit flat on the road whereas with 36 it will prob raise the edges up reducing the contact patch !!!

Why would you do that? Apart from increasing tyre wear what are you achieving ?

I'll stick with Toyota's spec thanks :blink:

You fellas love a bit of debate and giving a hard time, don't you?!

From reading on here, a lot of people seem to run the rear tyres at slightly lower pressure, more than likely for better grip at the rear.

Either way, I was just saying what I do.

Toyotas spec will be for the reccomended tyres and a very normal driving style, just look at bikes, I used to drop at least 6 psi out the tyres for a track day to allow for the fact they will get that much hotter, pressures will also be to optimise wear which we prob arent worried about, but diff tyres will need diff pressures from make to make.

He said that for standard tyre sizes dude, yes I am aware different size tyres may recommend different pressures.

Josh if you read my next reply I said not to be too hasty, not being funny but I wouldn't do something just because other people do it without proven results and or theory to help me understand why they are doing that. Do you understand why you are doing it or are you just taking their word for it?