FT-86 - First Drive

Attero

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Celia wasnt dull to drive, it was a really great handling car, it just lacked power and ultimately RWD! :)

I'll have to disagree, respectfully :D

The engine note was quite nice once you got the revs up, but even the 140 had a tendency to understeer without much provocation, and there was 0 feedback through the ridiculously over assisted power steering.

However, that doesn't make it a bad car. The interior was fairly nice and comfortable, and it would easily do 40mpg on the motorway, while being utterly reliable.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, as my main fwd experiences are with things like Corrados, Integras, EP Civic type Rs and mk1&2 Golf GTis. Like I said though, I didn't think the Celica was a bad car, and was certainly much better than the Peugeot 206 GTi my brother had before it, in all respects!

Mr j_jza80: spot on.

The previous Celica wasn't much more than a marketing exercise, unfortunately. A missed opportunity.

I wonder what they'll decide to call the FT-86. The engineers want the '86 reference to remain, the marketing people want something more familiar.

Had a conversation last week with someone who went on the same test AC did and he reported back that it's an excellent drifter, and better than the MX-5. Praise doesn't come much higher.

Front looks like a GTR, rear looks Audi TT. But yes please, although not too sure about the Scooby's boxter 2ltr Engine in it???? Mmmmmmm!

Yea im not liking the engine choice!!! Its going to be fun thogh, most box engine tuners are 4x4 grip guys, most people who will be tuning these will be drift orentated, who know nothing about box engine tuning, wer going to have to inter mingle lol. I know if i get one, il be using it for less than a few months before i strip it back and build it into an out right competition drift car!! I think a JZ swap would be sacralige with the weight of them, so it may have to be a 4cylinder turbo Nissan swap. :)

There's a very good reason for using a Boxer. You can mount the engine lower, which means a lower centre of gravity and hence much better handling. Easy to turbocharge too. I wouldn't want to ruin it with a poorly-judged engine conversion ;)

A triple or quad rotor then :p I know what your saying about low down weight but the box engine is not a light engine is it? Seing as it has two heads, 4 cams, two sets of manifolds etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing these get tuned :)

So with this new direction Toyota have taken with the design of this car, in particular making a car with a very low centre of gravity by utilizing a boxer engine and many other things, does that mean that the cars to follow (if any) will be designed with the same principle in mind?

I don't know about you guys but I would love to see a 6 Pot boxer engine in the front of a POSSIBLE future Supra :D