The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What made you buy a supra over other cars?

skyline1

The quality of the car far surpasses any other car I have been in.

Had two now and never felt like they were going to let me down. My old NA had a couple of problems but these were all age/wear related. I have got into a number of cars, shut the door and wondered if the window was going to fall out.

H.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in about 1999 or 2000, there was a red UK spec auto I used to see all the time around Bracknell (where I was working then). It had a big exhaust but not too noisy, may have been BPU (before the term was really created).

Many times I followed it off some of Bracknells numerous roundabouts... every time it just pulled away from me sounding so nice and effortless - like it wasn't even trying, I was driving an E36 328i back then.

Ever since then I wanted one, it took 3 more years before giving up the BMW and buying one. I dismissed a black UK auto at Toyota in Bracknell in 2001 (£18k) and finally bought a black jspec TT6 in 2003 (£13k, a bargain back then!).

Never looked back since. I get to drive some nice cars from time to time but nothing so far feels as good as driving a TT/single 6spd supra. I'll be back in one some day :)

Just always loves the classic lines the Supra has, they are still mirrored today in the XKR's and Aston's

Seriously how is this not a modern Supra with a Jag badge

I considered the Subaru, Evo, Gto and Skyline's, but running costs or reliability or Chavnus put me off them all, the Supra fitted everything I was after, especially reliability as it's my daily.

I still think after 5 years, it's the best car in the world, mines 16 years old and gets driven almost every day and has never really missed a beat in anyway after the 40,000 miles or so I have covered to date

I am glad I bought an N/A for the above reasons, but the day I can take the Supra off the road and make it my weekend toy, she will be going TT Bpu, there are now to many modern hatchs that give the N/A a hard time

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

main reason I bought a supra was reliability compared to the others. the way it drives is nice. the sounds from turbos is cool. parts not too expensive.

I did want a gto but parts can be expensive compared to Toyota and reliability even tho my dads has been fine. rx7 got that stupid rotary engine which gives too many problems which is why I did rule that out. 300zx is plain ugly and dated. impreza is chav car and common and boring. skyline are nice but have not quite got that super car look as the gto and supra. 350z is nice but no turbo and no back seats I would buy a 350gt with the 2+2 but won't be like the supra.

THE SUPRA IS VERY ADDICTIVE

Just always loves the classic lines the Supra has, they are still mirrored today in the XKR's and Aston's

Seriously how is this not a modern Supra with a Jag badge

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/DodgyRogSupra/Jaguar-XKR-2__19090_zoom1.jpg

I considered the Subaru, Evo, Gto and Skyline's, but running costs or reliability or Chavnus put me off them all, the Supra fitted everything I was after, especially reliability as it's my daily.

I still think after 5 years, it's the best car in the world, mines 16 years old and gets driven almost every day and has never really missed a beat in anyway after the 40,000 miles or so I have covered to date

I am glad I bought an N/A for the above reasons, but the day I can take the Supra off the road and make it my weekend toy, she will be going TT Bpu, there are now to many modern hatchs that give the N/A a hard time

my dad always says mine reminds him of the xk jag at certain angles your right. . that's also a nice car the xkr I wouldn't say no. and they sound lovely

main reason I bought a supra was reliability compared to the others. the way it drives is nice. the sounds from turbos is cool. parts not too expensive.

I did want a gto but parts can be expensive compared to Toyota and reliability even tho my dads has been fine. rx7 got that stupid rotary engine which gives too many problems which is why I did rule that out. 300zx is plain ugly and dated. impreza is chav car and common and boring. skyline are nice but have not quite got that super car look as the gto and supra. 350z is nice but no turbo and no back seats I would buy a 350gt with the 2+2 but won't be like the supra.

THE SUPRA IS VERY ADDICTIVE

My mate bought one brand new in '95, took me out in it the day he picked it up and I loved it. Over the next few years I had an MR2 and then a brand new Celica, never thought much of the Celica and then my mate suggested I buy the Supra off him. He had owned it for around 5 yrs, it looked a bit tired but I knew it's history and he had no accidents and looked after it so I decided to go for it.

At the time they were going for good prices, we sat down to talk money and I was amazed when he offered it for around 3K less than the book price, he could afford it and just wanted the car to go to a good home. Needless to say I bit his hand off, I've owned it for ten years now and used it daily for the first six years but more recently I've got 4x4's and pick ups as they are more practical for me at the moment and as I've got the Supra more mint and perfect I've got paranoid about leaving it parked up out and about. Silly situation as the Supra is rarely used these days but I can't ever see myself getting rid and even in ten years I've never got bored of driving it.

I have had 63 cars at last count..

out of all of them the only one i EVER regretted selling was my old uk supra TT..

miss that car soo much.. could not afford a TT so got a NA supra.. and i still love it.. and other than my old Mr2 SC its the longest i have ever owned a car it not going anywhere soon..

thats why i have my supra..

its just the best alround package for what i want.... now just needs more power..

well i guess they are relaible cars then as ive heard that alot now, skylines are reliable too, ive never had a issue with mine in 3 years.

As mentioned though RX7's are a big no no, impreza's are like dog poo! (everywhere)

celica's never really interested me.

Supra i want one!!

2 reasons i bought my supra, first i did 2.5k miles in my 600hp r32 gtr and trashed a new £1200 clutch and gearbox was feeling the strain plus i wanted more power so looked to a tougher car, second is i had been admireing jamieps car for a long time and just decided im gonna have one, the only thing i miss is the 4x4 grip.

Thats one of the reasons I want a supra , my skyline is running 450bhp at the min and I'm not gonna be able to get more power out of it unless I do internal work and change the headgasket, the engine just ain't strong enough to take more power.

So how strong is the supra engine?

They look good , nice and big , look like a proper sports car on any road , Not as nice as a gen3 Rx7 styling wise but very close (just my thoughts). (yes Rx7s are a pain in the arse engine wise i agree mate). A true Japanese icon's Rx7 Gen3 , R32 GTR and MK4 Supra TT (not in any order) forget your 4doors a true sports car should only come with a pair of doors and have a long bonnet. Supra's have the lot in my book.

Back in 1999 I was looking around for what I could get with my money.

The choice of Japanese performance cars was the place to look for value for money (and still is really).

I looked at RX7 and thought 'too impractical', I looked at Skylines and thought 'too ugly', I looked at Scoobies, EVO etc and decided I didn't want a 4 door family saloon, then all along the Supra was on the options list.

I spent a lot of time asking questions and doing my research and it became clear that there wasn't really another car on the martket that could tick all the boxes that the Supra could do. And to be honest it is a struggle even today to find a car that can offer what it can for the money you pay.

I made a good choice with my UK-TT6 and is the reason I've held on to it for 10 years!

Every car has its pitfalls and the Supra can't escape from the norm.

But it depends a lot on what you are looking for out of a car.

I wanted a car that could tick as many boxes as possible, ie. cross europe GT car, competent track car, practicality, reliability, looks, cost to buy, cost to maintain, cost to extract more power, etc. etc.

I could keep the list going but I'm sure you get the idea.

If you are looking for a car that can tick as many boxes as that, then you have to make a compromise, but I think the Supra makes this compromise better than most others on the 2nd hand car market.

Yeah mate i guess you are right there.

i always kinda put the skyline in the same boat as the supra EG, fast, rwd, great looks, japanese sports car, great tuning capabilitys, rare, and loads of street cred.

both have ups and downs but ive had my fun in one and now want fun in the other.