The mkiv Supra Owners Club

S4 or RS6

TLicense

No it was good, sold it at 100k on the clock, i know it had a new clutch and flywheel just before i got it, i did about 15k in it, iirc trip was always about 17mpg but im mostly nipping between jobs all day and it never got a good run, it had a rattle from cold for a couple of seconds, when i took it to audi they said its the cam tensioner and they all do it, told me not to worry about it.

B5 RS4 is the best of the bunch imo, brilliant car that with a simple mrc remap and miltek exhaust is a flying machine, Stuarts has done about 140k now and it goes like a rocket, he beats the hell out of it.

RS6 all day but the running costs are mental. I have been shopping for an RS4 in recent weeks but a lot of the lower priced ones have been snapped up.

We were looking at these a year ago and some of the prices have dropped by 20%.

H.

Cheers guys.

Test drove an S4 today. Was absolutely superb and would fulfil all of my requirements.

The only problem is that I keep thinking if I went for the S4, I would keep wishing I'd gone for an RS6 instead.

I quite like the look of this one...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201125393159673/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/12000/body-type/estate/model/rs6/make/audi/page/1/postcode/ox281bz/radius/1500?logcode=p

M5.... grabs coat.

Nah. If I went for an M5 it would have to be an E39 for the budget I'm looking at and they're all cracking on a bit now in terms of years and mileage.

Also looked at E55 AMG mercs, but I just don't like the styling of them.

Cheers guys.

Test drove an S4 today. Was absolutely superb and would fulfil all of my requirements.

The only problem is that I keep thinking if I went for the S4, I would keep wishing I'd gone for an RS6 instead.

I quite like the look of this one...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201125393159673/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/12000/body-type/estate/model/rs6/make/audi/page/1/postcode/ox281bz/radius/1500?logcode=p

well meet in the middle go for the rs4 fantatic car

The RS6 has incredibly stiff ARB's and they have an awkward, nasty rocking motion on motorways and fast A roads. I seem to remember you have a bad back? I'd drive one a good distance and see if you like it. They are very quick, and even on a track they seem to hold together, apart from the brakes ;) I guess the downside of making a lorry handle like a sports car is they need very stiff suspension set ups. They really do feel strange though, you can even see this when you follow one on the road.

Running costs are eye watering, especially if you get one that's out of warranty and something nasty happens. There's a lot of "stuff" for something nasty to happen to, as well :( I admit bias though, something that weighs as much as a small truck, with the engine out ahead of the front axle line, with potentially terrifying maintenance issues is not my scene.

The RS6 has incredibly stiff ARB's and they have an awkward, nasty rocking motion on motorways and fast A roads. I seem to remember you have a bad back? I'd drive one a good distance and see if you like it. They are very quick, and even on a track they seem to hold together, apart from the brakes ;) I guess the downside of making a lorry handle like a sports car is they need very stiff suspension set ups. They really do feel strange though, you can even see this when you follow one on the road.

Running costs are eye watering, especially if you get one that's out of warranty and something nasty happens. There's a lot of "stuff" for something nasty to happen to, as well :( I admit bias though, something that weighs as much as a small truck, with the engine out ahead of the front axle line, with potentially terrifying maintenance issues is not my scene.

I agree with that, My mate has one, 4 months down the line after ownership the turbo's went, You have to Pull the engine to get to them... His bill was over 4k just for the turbo's.. Then he started to have llot of electrical issues with it too.. Very expensive to run and maintain.. On a stock setup he was averaging between 8-15 mpg

Bear in mind that modern Audis do NOT have a good reputation for electrical reliability. Most stuff is coded and Can Bus, so when a seemingly insignificant fault develops repairing it can be very costly, complex and time consuming. Whilst these modern day gizmo laden barges appear technically exciting, their sheer complexity means a car can be rendered uneconomic to repair after a seemingly minor incident. I just had a look in my Bosch KTS disganostic stuff for an RS6, the gizmos it runs are frightening. I wouldn't want to be the owner footing the bill for diagnostics and repair if it had electric issues. It makes a MKIV TT look like a Morris Minor.

I am not saying an RS6 is rubbish, far from it. They have a huge amount of grunt, handle well and safely, and stop well, plus you can sling four dogs in the back, or whatever. It's just they are so complicated and laden with electronics that would be a constant worry to me if it was out of warranty. The MPG figures are also a worry for all but the wealthiest owner, or one who hardly uses it. I had a friend's A4 Cabriolet in a bit ago, with electrical issues, it cost a bomb to fix, and that was simple compared to something like an RS6. The nailed on bits of tin underneath, and round the scuttle, to try and give it some rigidity as a convertible were horrible, hurried and ineffective. I had always expected to find them well made and Teutonic. The wife's old Audi 200 turbo was a far better screwed together thing. I would hope an RS6 is better made, but I have only ever driven one, never had one on the ramp.

I could never buy myself an Audi. They lack the feeling I want from my cars - they're sterile and lifeless and for that reason alone I couldn't have one. Also, I *really* don't like the way they handle.

Funny that, my mate has an A4, its very smart inside with the red leds but just feels soul-less to me. Don't know why, just too clean and smart. He's had a few electrical issues but luckily covered by warranty which I would say is a must with audis.