The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey , XS POWER?

welshbuddy

You must be talking about the NA-T ones only then as the braced TT XS power manifolds crack all the time.

What was the final installation cost of your setup, including the ECU, mapping and all the odds and ends (not just the kit)? It seems to have worked well so far (given, it's still early days), but it should give a guideline as to what's needed in terms of costs and DIY skill level.

Mine hasnt:D Has been on the car for way over a year and been pushed on many occasion. Cant fault it to be honest.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you prepared to do some fabrication work on the kit to get it all to fit then you can't go wrong in my opinion.

I've fitted some xs power stuff to supras and it doesn't fit perfect at all.

Manifold - WILL need all 3 faces milling flat and the holes for the studs will require boring out as the hole configuration has been out on everyone I've seem wether it was an N/A kit or a TT kit.

Turbo - the T61 isn't a bad effort really for the price a friend of mine has 1 on his and the spools not bad. Don't know how long it will last though.

Wastegate - pretty good quality.

Screamer - will need cutting to fit.

Oil lines - throw them in the bin and buy new ones.

Downpipe - WILL NOT fit at all. Lines up but hits the manifold and will need modding to suit.

Hope this helps bud.

If you prepared to do some fabrication work on the kit to get it all to fit then you can't go wrong in my opinion.

I've fitted some xs power stuff to supras and it doesn't fit perfect at all.

Manifold - WILL need all 3 faces milling flat and the holes for the studs will require boring out as the hole configuration has been out on everyone I've seem wether it was an N/A kit or a TT kit.

Turbo - the T61 isn't a bad effort really for the price a friend of mine has 1 on his and the spools not bad. Don't know how long it will last though.

Wastegate - pretty good quality.

Screamer - will need cutting to fit.

Oil lines - throw them in the bin and buy new ones.

Downpipe - WILL NOT fit at all. Lines up but hits the manifold and will need modding to suit.

Hope this helps bud.

So in other words, a single turbo kit for the Supra that doesn't actually fit the Supra? :p

Guest Andy Bird

alot of the driftworks guys swear by the cheap turbos too.

im going to go the XS power route to be honest. ditch the oil lines and replace and get a downpipe made or assemble the parts myself ie ebay type FMIC, XS power manifold, braided oil lines, custom down pipe, emanage ultimate or simular.

Supra parts have their own premium like the skyline tax I found when I had both of my Skylines.

trawling SXOC or Driftworks for parts which are more than capable of powering our cars is a cost effective way forward.

no one buys a Supra becuase they cant afford a new car its a lifestyle choice. I sold a 3 years old Monaro VXR running 420bhp to buy my Supra NA because I've always wanted a Supra but was worried out TT reliability (buying privately) and liked the idea of the DIY supercar in the NA.

basically I will be getting the NA how I want it looks and quality wise currently bringing the interior up to scratch as thats the thing that affects me then the exterior then the mechanicals.

I sold a 3 years old Monaro VXR running 420bhp to buy my Supra NA because I've always wanted a Supra but was worried out TT reliability (buying privately) and liked the idea of the DIY supercar in the NA.

basically I will be getting the NA how I want it looks and quality wise currently bringing the interior up to scratch as thats the thing that affects me then the exterior then the mechanicals.

That's some messed up and contradictory reasoning going on there!

Very, very few people have managed to get an XS power kit working right and putting out anywhere near the power a stock TT makes. Those that do get them working right tend to have to replace most of the components or be pretty good getting fabrication done. Reading on the NA-T forums, most that have done the budget converison are just bolting them together and then run with bugger all boost, yet claim is a success...

As an NA owner it just makes so much more sense form a cost vs performance vs reliabilty perspective to drop a TT lump in there. It's cheaper than the NA-T and should make more power.

Have bad experience of XS power stuff from the MR2 Turbo.

Went though 2 downpipes and 3 Intercooler cores until i gave up, Dowpipes cracked even when braced and the brakets from the IC cores snapped off, and on one of them cracked along the welds where the end tanks meet the cooling fins. But then what can you expect for £180 Kit or a £80 downpipe.

Yes they are cheap, but from experience they were utter shite. Unless things have improved?

All the XS Power manifolds I've seen look poorly welded with weld spatter inside the runners that could potentially break away and trash a turbo.

If you put a robotically welded HKS manifold next to an XS Power manifold you'd see a huge difference in quality and realise why they are a lot more expensive.

If a part is fit for purpose and it's cheaper then great. If it's cheap and not fit for purpose which seems to be the case with XS Power stuff, then it'll end up costing further down the line one way or another.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

All the XS Power manifolds I've seen look poorly welded with weld spatter inside the runners that could potentially break away and trash a turbo.

If you put a robotically welded HKS manifold next to an XS Power manifold you'd see a huge difference in quality and realise why they are a lot more expensive.

If a part is fit for purpose and it's cheaper then great. If it's cheap and not fit for purpose which seems to be the case with XS Power stuff, then it'll end up costing further down the line one way or another.

Exactly that.

Fabricating downpipes, I/C pipes and intake filter pipes can cost a fortune unless you can do some of this yourself, which VERY few people can seriously attempt. A cheap kit with no pipework becomes a nightmare when the logistics of trailering a car to a fabricators and paying him to make bespoke pipework is factored in. A COMPLETE kit is the way to go, even if it costs a lot more. You are talking at least 5K to do the job properly, IMO, more, for which you can buy a mint TT ready done with Toyota reliability and no hassle. As soon as people say they want a single on half or less of the real costs I see an unfinished project or a job that will have you in tears with its unreliability and hassle factor.

As for manifolds, if you are hell bent on doing this on an unrealistic budget, a cast iron manifold from the likes of Treadstone will be an option worth considering, but like any piecemeal build, you will have a LOT of messing about making a complete package.

hmmm, ill wait a year then invest mayb in a TT or buy one with a single? like 500bhp :O... ha, need to get a little run around aswell :p

didnt you say funds was an issue? lol? a cheap na t kit cant compare with selling an NA and buying a SINGLE turbo 500hp have you seen how badly the NA's are selling at the moment? 80K auto na 2.5k is quite common.

doesnt this whole thing depend on total money spent. ive an NA and want to turbo it. I got her cheap for 55k miles and her condition and dont think the money spent going turbo will be more than a manual TT.

what if, the cost of the whifbitz kit FITTED + cost of supra is LESS than a manual single TT (same condition ish), wouldnt it be worth it? obviously your have a bit less power in the NA but even if your pushing TT power with the NA its def gonna be cheaper. i could easy spend 5k on my NA and nearly push TT power with the whifbitz kit and that would be cheaper than paying out 10k for a good condition TT!!

Edited by Noz
cuz i wanted to :D (see edit history)

hi mate i bought my kit from mark off http://www.clubna-t.com its a usa xs power kit and im running it with the emanage ultamate piggy back and it runs sweet! ;-)

its really good for a buget kit! as the outhers are really expencive! and you would be better off just buying a tt!

i would buy from the usa as the uk xs power have the 4" down pipe and it wont fit withou modifing! as the usa is 3" and only just fits!

you do get what you pay for! but i wouldnt be paying like 5-6k on a na-t build as i would rather buy a tt!

in total including the kit and everything to support it it cost me around 2k to go na-t hope this helps ;-)

Didn't Gaz1 have an XS Power manifold on his single at 1 point? It cracked.

On his the wastegate port was to small and it overboosted, they could not keep the boost under 1.8bar, same thing happened with jamesy's OBX manifold iirc, id not touch anything xs power with a barge pole, not only is there many reported problems but it will also kill the resale value of the car imo.

Get shot of the N/A and buy a TT, it's the only option that makes any financial sense whatsoever.

TT6 - cost £10k for a minter - Value in 6 months Same.

N/A-T - Cost 8k inc car absolute minimum - Value in 6 months, 5k? Maybe?

You can go as far as you like with the N/A-T, 10k, 15k, 20k but you won't get past the fact that it's an N/A when it comes to selling.

Guest Andy Bird

thats a pretty poor statement.

Are we the poor relation?

who cares if its an NA or a TT I would buy a car based on the car not that if it was a NA-T or a TT. admittedly I would be dubious if it was done on the cheap.

I was told the TT in normal guise was less reliable than the NA and I needed one to do 300-400 miles a week hence getting the NA and then working from there.

Guest Andy Bird
urm, i just read on xs power website, "The turbo is only for show car, or track use"?

Urm so basically thats saying its unreliable as a daily :O

no because its american wording its not legal for road use.

if your going NA-T no one apart from homer has mentioned the cost of piggy back ecu's and mapping to get the car running right .

As far as im aware this is all included in pauls ( whifbitz ) kit with maps already loaded up on a AEM ecu , so its basically plug and play .

othere than this i'd say get a TT engine and gearbox dropped in , But unsure on the cost of this lately .