The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

Spoke to Chris this morning, inbetween Ana dragging me around the shops, and he's been out in it, logged it all, and the Syvecs read between 88-91 degrees. All good. It's ready for me to collect, so I need to get that organised, a new MOT and then mapping.

Chris can post up the issues he found - as I'll probably end up getting it wrong.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spoke to Chris this morning, inbetween Ana dragging me around the shops, and he's been out in it, logged it all, and the Syvecs read between 88-91 degrees. All good. It's ready for me to collect, so I need to get that organised, a new MOT and then mapping.

Chris can post up the issues he found - as I'll probably end up getting it wrong.

sweet bud, :D glad its all fixed. :D :thumbs:

Ive just spoken to Chris, and this is what he found,

He seemed to think the head was slightly bowed in the middle, so once the head settled the head studs odviously lost some of the tension on the studs. The 4 corners were still torques but the middle was only around 60 ft/lb.

The fans were blowing hot air from the engine instead of sucking cold air through the rad. The fan shroud came to me assembled so I guess we had no chance really.

Chris has replaced the stock fan and rad and re-torqued the head and the car is now fine. I

On another positive note Chris was very impressed with my build said I'd done a great job. Coming from Chris that's a huge compliment, thanks mate.

On behalf of Johnny and myself a HUGE thanks to Chris for sorting this so quick.

Nice one, wish you smooth sailing from here in , still got a few days to get it mapped for suprapod

Cheers buddy - but I've got pre-made plans with the Future Mrs G over that weekend. It's her b/day and we're going off somewhere nice (nicer than Northamptonshire!). Will do JAE though.

Small update: I HAVE IT BACK!!!

Picked it up from Sir Chris Wilson this morning, after a lovely 3-train journey! Chris met me at the station and proceeded to drive back to his with a hint of boost and a wry smile :) This thing WILL be quick.

No issues, no problems, a lovely smooth ride from Shropshire to Liverpool with a mix of 30-50-70mph driving, then some traffic. Car didn't miss a beat. Huge huge thanks to Hodge for the stunning work he did. Same to Chris for the fault-finding on the dodgy fans - and to everyone else who helped Hodge in the diagnosis.

There's a small couple of things to look at now, but nothing that mapping/tidying up won't fix. The DBW throttle feels great, very, very sharp. It's just a lovely car to drive/listen too.

Thanks again.

Glad you like it and can use it at last. I will post up a resume of the issues when I get a bit of time, maybe tonight if we don't go out. Should be a great car, don't forget to see if the oil filter has an anti drain back valve in it!! Good luck, thanks for letting me at it :)

Anytime, Chris :)

If you could email me a part number for a filter, I'll get one just in case :)

Nice one. Glad you've got it back and it's all sorted.

Would have been good to see tomorrow if you were going.

Yea, I could take it, but it's the futuer-Mrs G's birthday weekend and I've got a few things planned. She comes first - and always will. Get the bucket.....

You did a great job on it hodge, the last HKS big twin I dove was on an HKS ecu and it was a laggy as hell, really laggy! Johnny's car was a different thing altogether, so Ryan has also done a good job! I'll try and post up later, had a `mare of a week battling with CAN protocols and data loggers. Finally got Motec ECU to talk to GEMS logger about an hour ago, so slowly getting there! Well outside my comfort zone with this, my head's banging :)

Nice one guys, glad its all come together.
Cheers Jamie ... MOT time on Monday then try to work something out for mapping
Nice one Johnny, made up for ya, ps keep the txts coming ;)
Cheers Jay :) you know me, the texts never stop :)
lovely motor mate
Great nice JG. Hope you get to enjoy it now.
Thanks guys. Intend to enjoy her now :)

Well, the car is home and ready for the MOT - had to put that off a couple of days because my mate is a bit sick. Bummer. That'll be MOT'd on Thursday, though.

So, I had some spare time, working from home - which really should be "working" from home, so I decided to fit the TRD Wing I've had sat here for a while...

Original wing off

attachment.php?attachmentid=137268&stc=1&d=1313488909

TRD Wing on

attachment.php?attachmentid=137269&stc=1&d=1313488909

Once it's MOTd and cleaned, I'll take it down to the water front for some better pictures :)

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg