The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V8 Twin Turbo Project

Ryan.G

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a nut shell get a pre 1993 soarer engine and your laughing.

Thats what I've got :)

I'm going down the single turbo route (copy gt35r) though with a Haltech E6X.

Nice one. You will have fun running an E6x with this engine! I wont touch them anymore

Oh dear, what problems did you run into? I've been sent a base map, wiring diagram etc from haltech. It fired up on the stand, but wasnt great to say the least.

Edit: Will give you a call later, dont want to clutter up your thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update as had no time on it at all recently

All turbo fab is done just need to wrap it all now and coat.

Whole of Sump has been removed for welding on some Jic fittings for oil return.

Just waiting on some ARP head studs and a gasket set to arrive.

Now moved onto the engine stand to strip and check over. Had to make up some custom bolts to mount on the engine stand.

Decided im going to take out the cores of the turbo to run up as a N/A first to make sure no stray bits of weld go through these rare turbos and also will allow me to 4D map as will map the engine as an N/A based on TPS and RPM and then add another axis to the table for manifold pressure when i add the turbos.

Made up a new loom for the engine also which makes it plug and play for the supra install :)

Ryan

iphone 073.jpg

iphone 075.jpg

iphone 082.jpg

iphone 083.jpg

Done a few more bits on the engine, Ordered all new bearings, seals, belts and stripped down the engine to give it a once over and fit some MLS Headgaskets which are 0.2 mm thicker to help lower the CR down to 9.75:1

Off down to AFR tuesday to map a car and get Matt to clean and flow test the 7MGTE Injectors ...then its back home to fit all the ARP Bolts and get the engine complete again hopefully on sunday.

Fitted a Bosch 044 to the car also and my old bilsteins from the white car.

All turbo kit wrapped

Just awaiting flywheel and then it all goes in the car :D

Ryan

DSC_1788 [1024x768].jpg

DSC_1766 [1024x768].jpg

DSC_1776 [1024x768].JPG

DSC_1777 [1024x768].JPG

DSC_1782 [1024x768].JPG

DSC_1787 [1024x768].jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Engine is fully overhalued and now back in the car but sadly my SLR finally died it death late last night :(

Here are some pics from SLR when it worked and iphone of both engine and gearbox overhaul.

Will get a decent camera soon when funds allow

Have taken the cores out of the turbos to run as an n/a first to get a 4d map on it. Just made some blanking plates

Fitted bigger injectors and coil on plug ignition also

DSC_1789.JPG

DSC_1795.JPG

DSC_1807.JPG

DSC_1822.JPG

DSC_1831.jpg

iphone 084.jpg

iphone 085.jpg

iphone 088.jpg

iphone 087.jpg

Moved to projects section :) Very interesting project Ryan, looking forward to the updates

This is probably a pretty dumb question, but are you expecting any heat related issues with the turbo's location? I'm thinking of the issues Eric had with his conversion.. What are you doing different to reduce the under bonnet temps?

Moved to projects section :) Very interesting project Ryan, looking forward to the updates

This is probably a pretty dumb question, but are you expecting any heat related issues with the turbo's location? I'm thinking of the issues Eric had with his conversion.. What are you doing different to reduce the under bonnet temps?

My turbos are a fair bit smaller than erics so i think i might be ok but im going to keep an eye on the temps on the dyno with a thermocoupler under the bonnet and make some heat shields up for the hot sides of the turbo. Dont want to put a blanket on the turbos tho as the Vains turbos dont like this!!!

But will be running as an N/A first to map then add the turbo cores afterwards.

Got this weekend to work on it and hopefully when i get back from working in spain on the 15th it will be late nights ahead to get it running.

Got this weekend to work on it and hopefully when i get back from working in spain on the 15th it will be late nights ahead to get it running.

Don't do what I did n work on it the day of your anniversary. I got tortured about the other Sunday we got it started. She's only just started talking to me that last few days lol.

• 2 weeks later...