The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scott M's Supra Build Thread

Scott

Affordability isn't really my issue. I can pretty much save for whatever I want, time is the constraint there though. My real issue is value for money. As I said I dont' drive the car a lot but IMO £800 isn't a lot to ask for all the benefits I'll have with the twin plate over the organic single disc.

Only a 71mm? Mine is only a 67mm :D

Sorry, I really meant to say "go for the best you can afford". For mine, the driveability was worth the extra money.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I really meant to say "go for the best you can afford". For mine, the driveability was worth the extra money.

Yeah, but given enough time I could afford a tilton lol. There's no way I would ever spend that sort of money on a clutch as it isn't value for money IMO. To be honest I'm grumbling a bit over £1800 but as you say, the driveability is worth it.

In for a penny in for 12,000 pounds :D

Made a good start on the intake side of the engine bay. The loom is an absolute PITA to work around lol. Think I'm just going to pull it right out the way so that I an get in about everything properly :D

Intake, Fuel Rail, Lower Runners, Pressure tank, etc all off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=137482&stc=1&d=1313785450

attachment.php?attachmentid=137483&stc=1&d=1313785450

IMG_7296-1200.jpg

IMG_7298-1200.jpg

Had an hour or 2 to work on the car today so managed to get the cams out. Once I had started I couldn't figure out why the caps had to be loosened over several passes. After 2 passes they were all finger loose. Of course I followed the manual anyway and just as I was getting ready to remove them the caps "BANG" the cam popped up and showed me why they were done a bit at a time and evenly lol. I absolutely crapped myself but thankfully everything was even so no harm done, I continued using the order in the manual and it came out with ease. I learned my lesson for the 2nd cam so I loosened them all a little bit, in order, then left it for a minute, this time I got a slight POP after a minute or so and then I continued with the order.

Phew, what a fun day lol.

attachment.php?attachmentid=137610&stc=1&d=1313929342

attachment.php?attachmentid=137611&stc=1&d=1313929342

IMG_7299-1200.jpg

IMG_7304-1200.jpg

now thats a sorry Engine, :( Once built and finished, :) :thumbs:

Yeah mate, it's looking a bit thin eh lol.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=137482&stc=1&d=1313785450

Yuck, that green suspension really is an eye sore

:p

Not half, it's coming off for a meet and greet with good old mr spraycan :D

Nice work Scott, looks scary to be honest, you not the slightest bit worried? :D

Not really mate, I'm having an absolute blast to be honest. It's great to get right in amongst all this and get your hands dirty. There isn't really a LOT to go wrong with what I'm doing. I have a manual and I am disciplined in using it (mechanical engineer). There are obviously certain nuances to working with these engines but it's all just a learning curve.

scott knows what he is doing, he is looking for 5rwhp ready for next suprapod to beat your lame excuse of a run ;)

To be fair the starter motor is still connected. I reckon I could take the head off, stick the wheels on, fire it into first and blow abz away right now to be honest :D

Found another spare hour so the head is off. I also ditched the charcoal canister while I was at it. Surprisingly no dramas at all removing the head. Very straight forward, gasket is off too :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=137634&stc=1&d=1313953704

attachment.php?attachmentid=137635&stc=1&d=1313953704

All tucked up till some parts arrive :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=137636&stc=1&d=1313953704

IMG_7306-1200.jpg

IMG_7307-1200.jpg

IMG_7309-1200.jpg

scott knows what he is doing, he is looking for 5rwhp ready for next suprapod to beat your lame excuse of a run ;)

poor abz, he's never going to hear the end of this :)

To be fair the starter motor is still connected. I reckon I could take the head off, stick the wheels on, fire it into first and blow abz away right now to be honest :D

I feel like the new Josh :(

Not really mate, I'm having an absolute blast to be honest. It's great to get right in amongst all this and get your hands dirty. There isn't really a LOT to go wrong with what I'm doing. I have a manual and I am disciplined in using it (mechanical engineer). There are obviously certain nuances to working with these engines but it's all just a learning curve.

I have never done anything like this so it just seems like a metal barrier to me, would love to have a go at something like this, no time soon though but I'll be following your progress in the meantime. :)