The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dont push that stock engine to far!

JamieP

Saw the damage myself and its a proper job :(

I think these engines will last a long time, at high power levels depending on many different aspects:

* regular servicing

* engining cooling before turning off

* not ragging the sh!t out of it when cold

* running high boost but not on WOT everywhere

etc etc

i run my car in, and out after every quick drive, but i also like to cruise in it and give it some beans on regular occassions.... if mine breaks, i am OUT, end of :( But i treat it well and i hop eit will do the same to me :)

but i do think that giving these cars soooo much hp on a stock engine is asking for trouble somewhere down the line which is why its always great to have a spare block to get to work on :)

looking forward to the new build J, pain in the ar5e about this one though mate....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That should see you close to the magic four figures.

What's the built engine spec any changes compared to the old one.

Bottom end is Mahle pistons, BC rods again, Billet main caps.

Head is the PHR supertech head, SRD 280 cams, change to double valve supertech springs, SRD Port, having some work done on the valve seats, shimless buckets.

Sounds good to me, will you run Nos with that as well.

Yeah but only on the drag strip.

I have 3 spare plus my current one that's in. Just in case

Lol, getting prepped for the odd blow up:D

I think you may have the wrong cause and effect , the maximum stress and strain on the rods are at peak torque and peak rpms , this is not gear related as such or car speed related as such . maybe if you were towing a caravan on a top speed event :)

To bend a rod is an achievement by just the engine torque alone ,even stock rods are tough things.

detonation can do this ,but you have no signs , but so can hydrolocking fuel or oil or water cause this to happen as can bearings.

obviously physical contact of piston would work quick smart too

If high cycles is the problem the rods would tend to crack and fly apart not bend .

Did you shut off the throttle at max power quickly.

dont knock the stock block quite yet ,,,

Saw the damage myself and its a proper job :(

I think these engines will last a long time, at high power levels depending on many different aspects:

* regular servicing

* engining cooling before turning off

* not ragging the sh!t out of it when cold

* running high boost but not on WOT everywhere

etc etc

i run my car in, and out after every quick drive, but i also like to cruise in it and give it some beans on regular occassions.... if mine breaks, i am OUT, end of :( But i treat it well and i hop eit will do the same to me :)

but i do think that giving these cars soooo much hp on a stock engine is asking for trouble somewhere down the line which is why its always great to have a spare block to get to work on :)

looking forward to the new build J, pain in the ar5e about this one though mate....

Good post James. ;)

I'm hoping that my new setup will be fine too ... but shit can always happen !

It does seem the supras have problems on standing km/mile events.

I remember a couple of years ago, a couple of supras let go at the top end @ TOTB.

But as with everything, when your pushing the limits you have to expect things to break!

The only real issue I see is the length of time the engine is on full boost and the high average rpms,everything fails for a reason ,cause and effect ..

The only real issue I see is the length of time the engine is on full boost and the high average rpms,everything fails for a reason ,cause and effect ..

I agree, although i'd of expected the rod bolts to let go before bending it! Just go's to show how good toyota engines are.

So basically, the piston was blasted down so hard that it's inertia was more than the rod could take when added to the opposing force of the big end being forced upwards by the crank. It is still pretty amazing for a car released with a 320 bhp capability.

Cant wait for the photos.

Just a thought, how much bhp would it take to do this to a Carrillo rod?

Its seems to me somehow the chamber flooded with fuel ,full open big injector maybe, then the piston tried to compress the fuel ,that wasnt gonna happen so the rod bent , fair play to toyota rods that it didnt snap

That or the bearing or oil to the bearing at fault

Unlikely the injector was stuck open as i have done thousands of miles on them injectors since then.

then oil or water and det remains plus bearings , water oil and fuel dont like being compressed like air , it would not take much water say to pass the head gasket and pop

There was no loss of water or oil that i had noticed, checked many times at the event and after, no signs of det, i drove this car 400ish miles after it started knocking, for a 100 or so of them i was flat out in it as the knocking went away just before we pulled the engine, Lee can confirm what a beating it took in this condition.

it would take very little water, say 10cc of water passed the gasket under high boost , as a one off event not a leak as such , rod bends and bearing shagged , from here on the rod is likely to bend further and bearing get worse ,

there are only so many things that can bend a rod

it would take very little water, say 10cc of water passed the gasket under high boost , as a one off event not a leak as such , rod bends and bearing shagged , from here on the rod is likely to bend further and bearing get worse ,

there are only so many things that can bend a rod

Got ya, would that be the stock head bolts letting the head lift or the gasket giving ways in your opinion?

Got ya, would that be the stock head bolts letting the head lift or the gasket giving ways in your opinion?

Its a possibility , hydrolock would be my educated guess as primary cause , you have good fuelling and mapping so less likely detonation, could easy be a simple gasket issue or head bolts , what you may have highlighted is a need to perhaps regasket at a regular interval with larger power levels and giving it beans regular