Dont push that stock engine to far!

JamieP

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

are thes engines ok to run 650 - 690 BHP? thats the figure im after when goung single?

Cheers

It depends how fresh the engine is.how well it is fuelled and cooled and mapped would matter greatly aswell. I think 550bhp could be called reliable on a stock engine personally. After that you know the risks. After 700bhp the rod bolts are a problem.

I would say it's a pure cripple failure due to overloading. All credit to the stock rod for not breaking. The knocking would be from the piston no longer be parallel to the bore, its cessation due to it "wearing back into shape" I guess. I'd be looking very carefully at the crank in general, and the journal that crippled rod came off in particular. I would probably not use the crank in a modded engine again, nor any of the rods or pistons. It may have been a poor rod, or just that you reached and exceeded the beam strength in compression. The forum has its share of unpaid destructive testers, Little Num with body shells, and JamieP with drivetrains and engines :)

are thes engines ok to run 650 - 690 BHP? thats the figure im after when goung single?

Cheers

If you came to me for an engine I would want to put a steel crank, Carillo heavy duty rods and decent forged pistons in it to offer any sort of assurance of longevity. I'd also insist on a stock crank damper. My Skyline engine running "only" 550 BHP has all of those, and I don't spend my own money lightly :) I know others will strongly disagree.

Id agree with you there, im no expert but i am wanting roughly 600bhp car in time and i would much rather have it well built and overbuilt then running on an old stock engine. I would want the car to worrk and work for a long time. Well that's my plan for the future anyhow.

Also, keep going jamie :D we all learn what not to do us of you! :p that and your cars awesome, exactly what a supra should be!

Id agree with you there, im no expert but i am wanting roughly 600bhp car in time and i would much rather have it well built and overbuilt then running on an old stock engine. I would want the car to worrk and work for a long time. Well that's my plan for the future anyhow.

Also, keep going jamie :D we all learn what not to do us of you! :p that and your cars awesome, exactly what a supra should be!

Be careful and don't assume that built = bullet proof. One of the members recently purchased a car which had been built to withstand around 1000hp (previous owners claim) and that popped on the same run as JP with not much over 600hp running through it.

I would much rather run a stock block and have it pop on me, as it's a hell of a lot less to repair/replace than it is to re-build the engine with forged pistons etc.... and that isn't to mention the initial outlay.

Be careful and don't assume that built = bullet proof. One of the members recently purchased a car which had been built to withstand around 1000hp (previous owners claim) and that popped on the same run as JP with not much over 600hp running through it.

I would much rather run a stock block and have it pop on me, as it's a hell of a lot less to repair/replace than it is to re-build the engine with forged pistons etc.... and that isn't to mention the initial outlay.

Stock block + built head seems to go well enough IMO, that's what I'm going to do.

Good point, but as i brought a low milage engine that seemed in good nick, and have just had to have the big end bearings replaced, i think id be more comfortable with a new engine built by a good builder then puttin too much power through an engine that i don't know the state of or how its been treated. If i had a reliable stock block id probaby use it till it failed, but ive lost confidence in the lump in my car so i wouldn't feel comfortable pushing it.

Has anyone bothered to blue print a stock 2JZ-GTE with maybe minor upgrades like rod bolts?

I've done exactly that Wez so to speak.

I've refreshed the stock block with all new Toyota gaskets and water pump, PHR oil pump, ARP main bolts, ARP rod bolts and ARP head studs.

I've ported the head and fitted 264 cams.

i take it you are talking about mine going pop:p

there definatly not bullet proof:rolleyes:

I dont see the point in that myself, only reason i would want a built head is to up the revs and you cant do that with a stock block.

I'm very tempted to raise rpm to to 8k, seems tried and tested in the states with a built head! I've just sourced a stock bottom end for rebuild next year also,