The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My hammerite diy respray

evinX

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it will look great mate even if it only lasts a season and next year you have to try something else, or even dare I suggest buy a load more cans and do it again.

Not sure why people think the Supra should be exempt from this sort of treatment, there are plenty of other Jap cars at shows/events that have been rattle canned. It's bug jam this weekend and bet there are a few of them painted in this way and look ok.

Just because one Supra owner likes to spend their available cash on shall we say a professional paint job or maybe a silly body kit, that's their personal preference. Kevin is choosing to spend his the way he wants to and give HIS car some individuality and good for him.

And whoever thinks that the amount spent on this approach could be comparable to a professional respray is dreaming. As for dragging the price of Supras down because someone wants his car to look different, that's almost paranoia. At the end of the day they are a 15 year old car and this sort of stuff will is what will happen. Go to any hotrod show if you need proof.

Good on you mate, and if it causes this much reaction then I will most likely do mine satin black too, but I may use a paint roller and wait for a windy day.

When im done you can pop over and take a look, if you want it done on yours, im sure we can work something out? is yours stock? will probably make it easier to do the work and get more reactions:D

I'd echo that, as much as the finished product isn't to my taste this is a young chap learning new skills and making his own car look how he wants it to look on the budget he has available. I have more respect for this than someone just waving a visa card and placing orders for the next big crowd pleaser.

When I was close to his age I think I was spraying the rusty arches of a Fiesta most weekends with rattle cans and being proud of my efforts, don't dampen the spirits of this enthusiast folks.

hehe this got the reaction i thaught... Totaly agree with michael on this one.

I popped over to kev's to pick up a front lip he sprayed for me the other day. He hadnt done the bonnet but the bits he had done (and my lip) are great.

Personly Im not a fan of the bodywork on kevs car. Or the satin black look. And ive seen a couple of them turn out terrable. but that was mostly because of rust under paintwork and someone just spraying with no prep.

Kev has spent an AGE primeing and sanding and repairing and fitting his kit. Although he isnt a pro im sure he will admit he does know what he is doing :)

And knowing him. If he see's a bit of the paint starting to look tatty he will just repair it. :p

I think it will turn out quite good and surprise a few.

And the prize for the biggest c0ck of 2010 goes too ..................

Poor supra:(

Thats pretty harsh, you pair seemed to think it was great when Rik did it. Maybe wait to see the results before you condem it.

Good luck Evin, the satin finished supes I've seen photos of have always looked awesome. I'm impressed with the comitment and balls to go for it, I can't wait to see it finished!

Thats pretty harsh, you pair seemed to think it was great when Rik did it. Maybe wait to see the results before you condem it.

Good luck Evin, the satin finished supes I've seen photos of have always looked awesome. I'm impressed with the comitment and balls to go for it, I can't wait to see it finished!

Thank you bud :thumbs:

Go for it dude i know how hard doing it yourself is still doing mine.

You and Maz came to meet me when i first got this, look at the plates, you buffed the car down when it was stock;) and you took me for a drive in the blue angel:D

That was a long time ago when this sort of thing was not seen, Rik never painted his with hamerite rattle cans, may he RIP, he was a good mate, makes me sad seeing that thread.

That was a long time ago when this sort of thing was not seen, Rik never painted his with hamerite rattle cans, may he RIP, he was a good mate, makes me sad seeing that thread.

Nope, he used Wilkinson paint, hammerite is much more expensive.

He was a good dude, rip to him.

The only thing I can say you did wrong is use hammerite. The reason being as has been said if you need any paintwork doing you will HAVE TO strip it back to bare metal. The reason being, automotive paint and hammerite do not like each other so bare that in mind.

God luck and its your car so enjoy..

The only thing I can say you did wrong is use hammerite. The reason being as has been said if you need any paintwork doing you will HAVE TO strip it back to bare metal. The reason being, automotive paint and hammerite do not like each other so bare that in mind.

God luck and its your car so enjoy..

I know, but ill cross that bridge when the time comes, i want a full strip down one day, to a bare shell and refurb her through out, but cant see that happening for another 10-15 years :faint:

Yep, but no more common now I'd say, can only think of one other on the forum, a dark green one. If the prep work is up to scratch and its well painted it should turn out well. RIP Rik.

all the best mate , hope it looks good. i took the plunge and did a diy full respray on mine a few times .......... it looks crap lol but hope yours turns out well.

Me and Gav tried a DIY respray on my truck and that has come out the same lol.....crap ;)

But I also dont see why everyone seems to think the Supra is above this sort of behaviour. Hang around on DW for a month or so and you get used to people rattle can'ing shit.

Good luck with this one fella :)

I sprayed my bonnet (Rocco) in chalkboard paint from a rattle can and it wasn't easy but the finish was good enough for me. Will be doing my roof soon too.

Make sure you hold the can far enough away from the part and give it a fine spray :)

As mentioned before, i wouldn't do it to my supra but its your car so fire away.

after reading through the entire thread i can say that i am surprised at some of the comments from people, but then again maybe not. being labelled a cock for spraying a supra with spray cans? single handidly bringing down the price of supras? get a reality check guys ffs.

all i can say is f$ck the haters and props to you for doing what your doing and i hope it turns out as you hope :thumbs: