The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Inferno's Supra: Restored & Built From The Ground Up

Inferno

As previously mentioned, I wanted an EXTREMELY responsive setup. So, instead of choosing a single small turbo, I decided to get in contact with the guys at SP after I had read about their aftermarket sequential twin turbo work. Following many emails back and forth and conversations with them, we were all on board with the goals of my project, and so I started to research the best options available. At this point, they had just come up with the Quick Spool Valve. I knew immediately what I wanted - a SP Sequential TT setup with small Dual Ball Bearing turbos and dual Quick Spool Valves. Not only would I be able to make a LOT of power thanks to two turbos, but as they were small DBB turbos and operating sequentially, I could have amazing low end power as well. Adding in the dual quick spool valves would further enhance the low end performance. At this point I imagine Larry, Vince and Chris were pulling their hair out... not only did they have to negotiate with the RHD framework of the car, but they also had to build a completely custom sequential twin turbo system (including an impossibly complex manifold), exhaust, intercooler and intakes to suite it and also find a way to incorporate the dual quick spool valves.

So, the car had a little journey from MVP (Bridgeport in Texas) to Sound Performance (Bensenville in Illinois).

So, whilst the engine was being built, the guys at SP had been hard at work figuring out how they werre going to deal with building the sequential TT setup. The first hurdle was getting our hands on appropriately sized DBB turbos with divided housings. After some extensive research, emails and phone calls, I was able to locate a vendor selling the exact size turbo I was after. So we got our hands on two of these babies:

Garrett GT3071, 60mm DBB, 0.78 a/r, T3, 3” inlet

Next to one of the new QSV's:

At this stage, the car had arrived so further design and construction of the sequential system could begin. The guys at SP wasted no time, and were soon wielding their welders and producing some mind blowing fabrication work:

Edited by Inferno (see edit history)

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work progressed steadily, the guys often staying late into the evening to get that last bit done for the day:

The 5" thick intercooler was the next to go under the flame:

Of course, the two had to be mated together!

More fabrication for the exhaust system had started - apparently an absolute nightmare due to the steering rack and various other obstacles!

At this stage, the fuel cell had been specced and beautifully setup by Larry:

Hi Larry!

Larry and Chris, proving my car was still alive LOL:

Some more magic work by Larry:

Finally, it was time to put everything together and do a dyno run... the moment of truth... would my dream be realised? Would I get the power and response I was hoping for?

The first run, 613rwhp @ 17psi, 545rwtq with _minimal_ tuning:

They also did a video of the valves in action. They open on the first turbo (rear turbo) and as second turbo sequences, the second quick spool valve opens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX6zq2QxWUc

Larry did some more tinkering with timing of the valves, the sequential switchover point, fuel/ignition timing:

Then, they did a test run tuning it for the fuel I would be running - VP Racing MS109 Unleaded @ 25 psi:

This whole time I had been researching and ordering new OEM parts as I found more and more that would be replaced. One of the most difficult to organise was the DASH PAD (not panels, they were easy ;) ). NO ONE is willing to guarantee shipping one without it getting broken as the mounting points are so fragile when un-attached to anything. They are _extremely_ expensive and when not in stock, take a LONG time to order in.

I ordered one from my local Toyota as Curt @ Elmhurst was not able to get his hands on a RHD one at that time. After 8 weeks of waiting, the dash arrived, and I immediately forwarded it to the guys in the US. However, at one point or another during transit (either the international trip from AU to US, or from Texas to IL), it broke:

I did NOT want to risk ordering another broken one, so I organised to have some Toyota guys internally organise the ordering and transportation of a RHD dash from Japan directly to the USA Toyota dealership, guaranteeing it would arrive unbroken and that if it was broken, they would take responsibility (even though I was asking a huge favour). So, second time lucky and after a LONG wait, it finally arrived, safe and ready to put in the car (but not yet ;) the car was still gutted at this point).

Another major aspect of the build was the interior. I wanted it to look immaculate, but also wanted to update it slightly. I already had factory leather seats, and while they did look very nice when clean and new, I decided to go for some aftermarket seats. After spending countless hours researching, googling, comparing images and custom setups, I came down to a number of options: Either the Sparco S-Light, or the elusive Sparco DTM Carbon Fibre seats. As I was planning to go widebody and adding an aftermarket turbo kit and various other heavy components, I wanted to try and save a bit of weight in the interior, yet keep it classy. I felt the S-Light seats were just a bit too racey for me, so I decided on the Sparco DTM seats. They had that beautiful look that the Sparco Milanos have, but weighing a LOT less. The Sparco DTM's are a carbon fibre base, covered in some of the best quality leather I have seen, double stitching, suede centres and weigh in at only 27 pounds INCLUDING ALL mounting hardware (side mounts, sliders, brakets), as compared with the S-lights which weigh in at about 28 pounds with hardware (13lb for the seats alone):

Edited by Littler
Embedded video (see edit history)

The stock seats are not too bad, but I definitely preferred the look of my new Sparco DTM Seats ;)

One had a scratch, so was immediately sent back to be replaced:

The start of some of the Wiring:

As if a 3.4L stroker, small 60mm DBB turbos, sequential setup, and dual quick spool valves was not enough, Larry had hooked up a Nitrous system, and gave the car a quick run on the dyno:

Next up we came to phase 2, time to gut the interior to get the car ready for bodywork, paint, and then NEW EVERYTHING!

Larry Hard at work:

In the mean time, some more of the parts I had ordered had arrived, and I was seriously pushing the limits of SP's storage space ;)

Thanks to Dusty, the TRD widebody kit had arrived:

Along with a set of MAMMOTH brakes - Rotora 12 piston calipers with380mm/15" slotted and drilled rotors.

The car was now stripped and ready to be transported to the bodyshop:

After speaking with Chris and Larry, I had made a decision on bodywork and decided to go with their recommendation - the shop that does all of the paint work for their cars and many of their customers cars, including the SP Supra:

The bodyshop is Golden Hammer, and the entire time I dealt with Joel Enyart. What can I say besides that he is an amazing individual. Not only did he have to put up with my perfectionist attitude, millions of requests (some normal, some very strange), hundreds of emails, but he did so with great enthusiasm, always replied in a timely manner and supplied endless updates and regular photos. Best of all, the work was immaculate, and from the day he started work until the day I received the car, everyone has been amazed at both the quality of the bodywork and the paint.

The car arrived at the Hammer and work started:

First up was to put the car on the frame machine to measure and check for any structural issues:

After a test fitting of the TRD widebody kit, I had a lengthy discussion with Joel @ Golden Hammer Body about options and the various customisations I had in mind.

For a start, I had planned the following:

* Dual Exhaust, hence the rear bumper would need to be modified so that the right hand side was a mirror image of the left hand side

* Number plate flipper, so the front bumper would have to be modified accordingly

* Whifbitz front bumper, which would have to be modified to fit the widebody front fenders

* Deleted and covered rear antenna

* Deleted and covered rear windscreen wiper

* Deleted and covered front windscreen washers

* Deleted and covered rear windscreen nozzle

* Deleted and covered rear petrol tank and flap

* Deleted and covered rear quarter panel indicators

* Modified front and rear fenders, front bumper and side skirts to reduce "ugly wheel arch" - i.e. make them "hug" the wheels more like modern cars

Joel had also been speaking with Johan @ JRD... and before I knew it, I had pulled the trigger and decided on full metal widebody rear quarter panels.

So, the car went to JRD, was taken back to bare metal and given a silver undercoat and then the custom quarter fender fabrication began:

The car came back and Joel and everyone at SP were simply amazed at the quality of the work. So next up it was time to prep the rear quarters and get them ready for paint:

Let the bodywork continue:

In case you are all wondering about the silver interior from previous bodywork photos, this is where the twist comes!

Whilst on the machine being measured, Joel found that the front frame was not completely straight on the white car. So, we decided to start fresh with a car that was 100% straight as we wanted absolute perfection!

I had purchased another low mileage Supra (the silver beauty), allowing the white one to be used as a "test-subject". This meant that testing and fabrication could be perfected before doing it for "real" on the silver car.

So the silver supra was sent to the bodyshop in place of the white, and it actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Not only did I end up with a 100% straight car, but all of the little things the guys at SP learnt the first time around on the white car, they applied to the silver car!

Call me insane or a perfectionist, but just knowing that the car is 100% straight and has had no repairs made the decision completely worthwhile. Peace of mind is a great thing ;)

With that little surprise aside, it is time to go back to work on the widebody!

As previously mentioned, I decided that I wanted a dual exhaust as I thought it would update the look of the car, balance the rear, and I also never was a fan of the huge angled canon style mufflers.

Obviously, this would require a LOT of modifications to the car, which started off by attacking the rear bumper. The idea was to create a mirror image of the left on the right side:

More work on the hood: The photo of the underside of the hood is showing the modification eliminating the ugly fiberglass reinforcement that shows through the top side vents. Most people cut this out. So did we. But this is to reinforce it and to make it look like the rest of the hood.

Next up - Back to SP for the rest of the build up and COMPLETE overhaul!

Check out the strongman:

Time to remove some of the nasty looking old underbody, suspension, drivetrain, brake, wheel, steering and other components:

Hi Larry! (p.s. check out the background)

And replace with shiney new parts. Notice the beautiful Ikeya Formula parts... you really have to see them in person to appreciate the build quality of them:

Click the following links to view the post:

Post 3 - New Parts, First Dyno Run

Post 4 - First Tune and Dyno Run, Engine Bay Respray

Post 5 - Chromed Parts

Post 6 - Chromed Parts (Continued), Second Round of Modifications

Post 7 - Engine Bay Comparison (First Purchased vs First Set of Modifications)

Post 8 - The LIFE CHANGING Decision and the REAL project begins

Post 9 - Engine Bay Refresh, Chromed Parts

Post 10 - Chromed Parts (Continued)

Post 11 - New Engine Parts (Gaskets, filters, coils, housings, pumps, thermostats, cables)

Post 12 - New Engine Parts, (Pulleys, tensioners, gaskets, belts, mounts)

Post 13 - New Engine Parts, Seals, General Parts Hoarding

Post 14 - New Harnesses, Wiring, Tubing

Post 15 - New Gauges, Engine Bay Dress-up, New Mirrors

Post 16 - New Parts (Trim, Rear Interior, Engine Bay)

Post 17 - New Parts (Trim, Fenders, Interior, Handbrake)

Post 18 - New Parts (Weather, Interior and Exterior Trim)

Post 19 - Misc New Parts

Post 20 - New Parts (Weather and Interior Trim)

Post 21 - New Parts (Trim, Lights, Wiring, Dress-up, Interior)

Post 22 - New Parts (Trim)

Post 23 - Major Plans Update, Engine Specs

Post 24 - Stroker Build

Post 25 - Stroker Build (Continued), Chromed Parts

Post 26 - Chromed Parts (Continued), Engine Removal, Stroker Install

Post 27 - Stroker Install (Continued)

Post 28 - Misc Parts (Drivetrain and Suspension)

Post 29 - Cross Country Journey, New Home, New Turbos, QSVs, Exhaust Manifold Fabrication, Fitting QSVs, Mounting of Turbos,

Post 30 - Test Fit of Engine, Sequential TT Kit, Piping, Intercooler, Intakes and Fuel Cell

Post 31 - Fuel Cell, Engine & Turbo Kit Install and Clean-up, Engine Bay Additions

Post 32 - Engine Install, Ransom Photo, Dyno Run, Broken Dash, New Seats

Post 33 - New Seats, Initial Dyno Run, Interior Gutting

Post 34 - Gutting of Interior, Misc Parts, Transportation to the Bodyshop

Post 35 - Car Delivered to the Bodyshop

Post 36 - Metal Widebody Rear Fenders and Misc Bodywork

Post 37 - TRD Kit fitting

Post 38 - Misc Body Work

Post 39 - New Donor Car Revealed!

Post 40 - Metal Rear TRD Widebody Fenders finished and prepped

Post 41 - Finished Rear Quarters, Hood Prep

Post 42 - Front Bumper Modifications

Post 43 - Fender, Bumper and Side Skirt Prep Work

Post 44 - Final Fitting and Exterior Priming

Post 45 - Exterior Priming and Interior Painting

Post 46 - Interior painting

Post 47 - Underbody and interior coating, partial exterior painting

Post 48 - Stripped frame newly painted, removal of steering, suspension and underbody components, replacement with new

Post 49 - New Suspension components, mounts, subframes (continued)

Post 50 - New Underbody components

Post 51 - Removal of old suspension, drivetrain and other underbody components

Post 52 - Removal and replacement of old subframe and suspension components with new.

Post 53 - Underbody, Suspension Arms, Steering Rack

Post 54 - Subframes, Mounts, Brakes

Post 55 - Big Brake Installation

Post 56 - Roberuta Cup Kit (Air Suspension), Suspension Components, Underbody

Post 57 - Suspension and Underbody

Post 58 - Suspension, Underbody and Brakes

Post 59 - Brakes

Post 60 - Brakes, Suspension and Wheels

Post 61 - Wheels and Tyres

Post 62 - Wheels and Brakes

Post 63 - Drivetrain installation and Transmission details

Post 64 - Transmission and drivetrain installation

Post 65 - Suspension and Transmission installation and modifications

Post 66 - Rear Bumper modification and Dual Exhaust

Post 67 - LED Rear lights and Dual Exhaust

Post 68 - Dual Exhaust Mockup

Post 69 - Dual Exhaust Mockup, Construction, Boost Activated Cutout

Post 70 - Dual Exhaust Construction, Boost Activated Exhaust Cutout

Post 71 - Some more New Parts

Post 72 - Final Exhaust Shots

Post 73 - Rear Seat Delete Concept and Build

Post 74 - Rear Seat Delete Build

Post 75 - Dash, Audio, Rear Seat Delete Build

Post 76 - Rear Seat Delete Continued

Post 77 - Rear Seat Delete Centre Speaker Continued

Post 78 - Rear Seat Delete, Audio Install

CONTINUED NEXT POST (Click HERE)

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

Post 79 - Audio Install Continued

Post 80 - Engine touch ups, more interior parts, wiring, rear seat delete, centre console command centre

Post 81 - Rear seat delete finished, new carpet

Post 82 - Interior Update

Post 83 - Interior, Engine Bay, Chromed Goodies

Post 84 - Chromed Goodies, Underbody Work

Post 85 - Extra Traction Control, Number Plate Flipper, Underbody Additions

Post 86 - Underbody Additions

Post 87 - Further Engine Bay Work

Post 88 - Underbody Additions - almost finished!

Post 89 - Video of it running!

Post 90 - Dyno Run Video and Dyno Sheet

Post 91 - Top Secret Roberuta Cup Kit Video

Post 92 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop

Post 93 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued)

Post 94 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued 2)

Post 95 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued 3)

Post 96 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued 4)

Post 97 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued 5)

Post 98 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued 6)

Post 99 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued 7)

Post 100 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued 8)

Post 101 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued 9)

Post 102 - Final Trip to the Bodyshop (Continued 10)

Post 103 - Back at SP and Number Plate Flipper

Post 104 - Back at SP for the Home Stretch

Post 105 - Back at SP for the Home Stretch (Continued)

Post 106 - Back at SP for the Home Stretch (Continued 2)

Post 107 - Back at SP for the Home Stretch (Continued 3)

Post 108 - Final stance/exterior shots

Post 109 - Rear Hatch, centre console command centre, FINAL DYNOS

Post 110 - Final Photoshoot

Post 111 - Final Photoshoot (Continued)

Post 112 - Final Photoshoot (Continued 2)

Post 113 - Final Photoshoot (Continued 3)

Post 114 - Spec List

Post 115 - Spec List Continued and Thank You List

Post 116 - Top Secret Roberuta Cup Kit HD Video

Post 117 - In Car Photo of Steering Wheel

Post 118 - New battery and tyres

Edited by Littler (see edit history)