The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New supra owner bad start

Guest Rit-600

it went bang smoke come out i pulled over and turned car off diddnt cut out

let it cool down then i turned her back on and saw oil light so turned off again and thats about it reli

If it was mine i would clean the engine bay up (gunk and jetwash) refill with oil, start it up and look for where the oil is coming from, then go from there with getting some quotes for a repair.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds fair enough to me

+1

Glass half full mentality but it could have been worse, you know where the car came from and plenty sources to back up all the £££ and work it had done on it. Could be a lot worse if you'd bought it off Ebay or something and all you had was a mobile number from the seller etc which permanently switched off.

Bit of a downer for the new owner but, as has been said already, one of those things that you can't predict and, by God, Supra ownership brings more than its fair share of those.

Dave is the sort of bloke you can phone at lunchtime on a Saturday, admit to trying to replace a Supra radiator with little more than a Halfords bicycle spanner and crossed fingers and he'll invite you over to his place where he'll then do most of the work for you, make you coffee and take no payment. (Not that this was me. As if I'd try to do a job like that without the proper tools :whistle::D)

He spent a lot of time and money on that car and is the sort of person who would take care of the little jobs before they became big jobs.

I'm sure Whifbitz will sort the car out and we'll all realise that these cars can and do go wrong at any time.

Guest Rit-600

iam just gutted thats all.

not blaming you dave as we have kept in contact and that.

i know its just one of them crapy littel things paul will be looking at the car on wednesday so hope its a easy quick fix

hello all

just bought a supra import singal turbo yesterday.

and half way home the car banged smoke coming out off engine and oil every were mainly at the front of the car also sprayed out of the exhaust over the rear bumper.

just wondering if any off you have had a simler problem and if its going to cost lots ???

it totaly drained its self off oil when i checked with the dip stick.

it should be going into the garage asap but i dont think theyl be able to look at it for a while.

thanks Richard

hi Richard and all

i no dave and the car that he is talking about and hes an honest man and the car was well looked after he rebuilt the car and also had it tuned up by demeatry who is well known on this forum and ive been side by side up at elvington it left me standing and it was a strong engine.

thanks karl

Amen. Hope you have better luck mate, it can be a slippery slope which you never get out of!

Bit of a downer for the new owner but, as has been said already, one of those things that you can't predict and, by God, Supra ownership brings more than its fair share of those.

Dave is the sort of bloke you can phone at lunchtime on a Saturday, admit to trying to replace a Supra radiator with little more than a Halfords bicycle spanner and crossed fingers and he'll invite you over to his place where he'll then do most of the work for you, make you coffee and take no payment. (Not that this was me. As if I'd try to do a job like that without the proper tools :whistle::D)

He spent a lot of time and money on that car and is the sort of person who would take care of the little jobs before they became big jobs.

I'm sure Whifbitz will sort the car out and we'll all realise that these cars can and do go wrong at any time.

Guest Rit-600

yes some news at last

turns out its a oil seal and some crank something carnt rember what paul said apart from its down to not being fitted properly!!

its going to need a few other things aswell due to oil damage and that but fingers crossed ill have her back next week i pray!

id like to thank you all again for your help/advice

many thanks richard

Thats really bad luck mate, apart from the bang which is a worry, although it could be the crank pulley failing,

My instinct and knowledge points to the front crank seal, i have also suffered this, and the oil and smoke is all attributable to this, as the oil quickly pumps out and it streams down the underside of the car, some finds its way onto the exhaust, hence the smoke, and surprisingly it dose also ends up over the rear bumper.

If it proves to be the seal, i would also remove and change the oil pump, as even very light scoring can result in excess oil pressure behind the seal, but it needs to be striped and carefully examined, and hopefully there will be no reason to strip the rest of the motor, however if the engine did loose all oil pressure before you stopped the engine, then you have bigger problems I'm afraid,

Good luck.

Edit, should have stopped watching the telly while writing this and i would have seen the reply, LOL! hope the damage to the engine is not too expensive.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

Thats really good news mate and am well pleased for you. At least you will know that the crank pulley is now good for the foreseeable future.

It's actually quite a common thing to fail on these cars and has been known to cause quite a bit of damage when seperating at high speed, so at least you have peace of mind here. Bit of a blip on the first chapter of Supra ownership but looks like its nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

Maybe someone could sort a group buy for crank pulleys? Thats a great idea ;)

I asked Whifbitz but they said they're doing them as cheap as they can already. They supply them significantly cheaper than Toyota and unless I'm mistaken they're OEM too.

Hope it ends up being something trivial, not a great start to ownership but sadly one of those things that happens, having known Dave for a while I'm certain he wouldn't have even considered selling the car if he had known something like this was likely, he's not that type of person at all.

Fingers crossed for a speedy fix so you can get out and enjoy the car.

I am pleased you have found the problem, however the crank pulley was a Titan one and Richard was supplied with the paperwork that came with it. As for the comment about not being fitted properly, the car has been running and used virtually everyday for 2 and a half years, so I don't understand what could have been wrong??? but I am willing to learn.

Guest Rit-600

ahh dave can you send me your number via pm lost it.

i will let you all know how she is next week when i speak to paul

hope they dont find anything eles wrong.