The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mid life crisis?

jevansio

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My mid life crisis will be if/when my lad tells me he has got some girl up the duff and Im gonna be a grandad:D He is 14 at the minute and if he's stupid at 16, then at 40, and a prospective grandpa, that would be a midlife crisis!!

I think myself (38) would look silly in an all show no go saxo or corsa lol :) what do these people who make these comments expect? I see there are owners of various ages on here, some alot younger, some alot older so I class myself as "in the middle" age means nothing as long as your enjoying your life/hobbies

Just going to get my paper, pipe and slippers :D

I'm a club newbie, currently driving a Celica, picking up my first Supra on Wednesday (an early 50th birthday present to myself).

Have to agree with Brazil, my sister said "midlife crisis", my brothers and my mates are all well jealous 'cos their wives/girlfriends want a new sofa/carpet/curtains etc (BIG appologese lady petrol heads!).

The Supra is a beautiful example of design excellence and engineering supremacy (sorry if that sounds a bit arty), made to be appreciated!

When I meet Saint Peter at the pearly gates I kinda think he'll be more interested in what cars I've driven than what sofa I sat on!

"Shall we go to DFS?" naaaah, goin' for a drive :)

LOL... your mate sounds like the typical Mondeo man, that have migrated to the Audis and 3 series :) He's so sensible with his quality A4!

I think the Supra does have some links sadly to the boy racer image and thats where people of his ilk tend to place the car no matter what it can do or who owns it :)

but you know the story....

I think the term gets used too loosely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midlife_crisis

Personally I wish at 40 I have a damn fast car on my drive, People view it as a mid life crisis because they think you want to re-live your youth but the honest answer is a lot of people like to live their youth their whole life, well I intend to.

Talking about MLC, if you have a Ferrari or a Porsche 911 turbo, would that still be classed as a MLC? I can assure you that it won't and it will be more of a case people oohhh-ing & ahhhh-ing at you.

I would have told your friend that you test drove a couple of Ferrari's which were too slow, so you have this :D

What makes me laugh is when i tell people i have a supra even though they have not seen it they slate it by saying you should have bought an R34 GTR. Funny enough when i buy an R34 GTR soon i wonder what they would say then lol

Guest Gibbons
So I was out & about today & bumped into one of my best mates from school & college (was in his class for 7 years), not seen him since I was 17 (35 now) so we were stood in B&Q carpark talking about what we had been doing with our lives.

He was on about his car (new Audi A4) and I pointed at mine & he said "whoa mid life crisis".

It's one thing that has worried me about big powered Supra ownership as I move on from being a "young lad".

All the people who have known me the last 10 years accept the car, but it's funny how people I havn't met in ages view the car.

Any of you worry about being a 40 yr old driving a Supra?

Mid life crisis ain't the problem, or even involved in the issue! It's just a mild case of 200bhp+ sydrome if your lucky!

Funny thing to me is where I live no one knows what a supra is. Everytime i park it in a carpark (which is only ever on weekends when said carparks are half empty so I dont get door dents)- I always sit and watch the car - whether from a restaurant or upstairs office I may be in etc. Anyway its always the middle aged to older guys (and the kids lol) that stop and point and the older guys cant work out what type of car it is and they walk up to it and look at the front, then the side then they go around the back and scratch their head when they see a toyota badge... It actually quite funny. To be honest though if I saw a 40-50 year old driving a nice supra that obviously was running decent power and modded nicely I would think he obviously has good taste- he didnt buy a poser z4 or something (you have to understand a decent late model stock supra still fetches 17-20 thousand pounds (when converted) over here.. a realy nice clean late model single will push 25 thousand on a good day so thes cars are still somewhat rare (maybe not so much in the big city's but out in the country city's). So my opinon is if it makes you happy drive it.... like you stole it!...lol

In Portugal it's the same, ppl have no idea what a supra is..! I hear ppl comment that it must of cost 240k euros..! all the time...! A random guy asked me how much it cost I told him 60k euros he was like wow..! I thought it was way more then that..!

At the end of the day you are as young as you feel...! And as long as you are having fun you will stay young.... when the fun stops there is nothing else you can do put get old....

In Portugal it's the same, ppl have no idea what a supra is..! I hear ppl comment that it must of cost 240k euros..! all the time...! A random guy asked me how much it cost I told him 60k euros he was like wow..! I thought it was way more then that..!

At the end of the day you are as young as you feel...! And as long as you are having fun you will stay young.... when the fun stops there is nothing else you can do put get old....

I had that the other day, an older asian lady came up and was telling me how it must have cost at least $120,000 (about 55k pounds) - funny thing was I used to deliver her papers to her business and she has money and drives a rolls or something (fist job I ever had when I was 12 was being a paperboy).. she was blown away and thought I was lying...

I got my first supra when i was 60 so a bit past mid life,however a lot of people spend a lot of time bringing up kids and can only get the car they want when the kids grow up.So relax there is no crisis that's only a term invented by the grow old gracefully brigade,and that aint happenin either:D

He's simply a badge snob.

I welcomed my mid-life crisis at about 25 years old. It came early. I was delighted.

I'm now 42 and it seems to not be going away. Splendid.

It's a lovely disease to have.

I had that the other day, an older asian lady came up and was telling me how it must have cost at least $120,000 (about 55k pounds) - funny thing was I used to deliver her papers to her business and she has money and drives a rolls or something (fist job I ever had when I was 12 was being a paperboy).. she was blown away and thought I was lying...

My money is on the omission of the "r" rather than freudism, lmao. Dont tell your parents your "fist job" was when you were a paperboy :D

He's simply a badge snob.

I welcomed my mid-life crisis at about 25 years old. It came early. I was delighted.

I'm now 42 and it seems to not be going away. Splendid.

It's a lovely disease to have.

Think that midlife crisis has kept you looking quite youthful sir! :D