The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto or manual

Guest BHP>MPG

Guest Luke Hero
So on the auto box, can you change up and down gears by pulling the lever back and forth in manu mode? Like a tiptronic sort of?

Could someone with an auto fill me in on this pleaasee :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Luke Hero
If you are so desperate to manually control the gears then you should have thought about it before going for an Auto......:blink:

lol read my sig. Im just curious about it, want to get as much info before the time to buy comes around :)

I just wondered if you can manually shift through the gears if you want to on the auto. Its not to much to ask is it seeing as theres hundereds of people on here with an auto :) :p

Anyone? :)

Stick in D and just drive it full auto or stick it in Manu. Start off in L - this will give you first gear to redline, Then shift to 2 this will give you second gear to redline, then shift to D. Overdrive will not work in manu mode. So yes for a more spirited drive use manu. I always use D with OD on on dual carriageways/motorways but if in and around town etc I use manu.

For a more indepth explanation Luke click this ---> manu

There are alot of haters of autos and I have not owned one till I got my bpu TT. I tell ya though more fun to drive than my Cosworth ever was:) so a hater im not

Edited by scotty71 (see edit history)

Guys I know it must have been asked before whether one should get a manual or an auto.

I haven't seen people ask how hard it is to get used to an auto though which is what I want to know.

So.....how hard is it to learn to properly use the autobox?

By properly I don't mean getting the car going from A to B, I mean getting the fastest gear changes and the best out of the car.

CHeers

mate have you found a mint uk auto and wish it was a manual.

Guest BHP>MPG
mate have you found a mint uk auto and wish it was a manual.

Still looking so not really...haven't got my eye on any specific Supras yet.

It's just autos are so easy to come by that I would love it if I could include them in my search....I guess I'm going to have to just test drive one and see if I can get any sort of feel for it.

If I can figure it out in a test drive then I will surely be able to master it in ownership.

But back to the auto to manual conversion......how much does this cost and how hard is it to do?

Cheers

Edited by BHP>MPG (see edit history)

But back to the auto to manual conversion......how much does this cost and how hard is it to do?

It will cost at least £3k including fitting to convert to a getrag 6speed, though full conversion kits can be quite hard to find. A clutch may be extra.

You can do this DIY, I wouldn't say it's easy, but it's also not out of the capabilities of a competent DIYer. Just make sure you are well researched, have the correct equipment and take your time to do it right.

However, I still find the deals available from the tuners the best available when all factors are considered. The conversion costs are often included in the price and you have a warrantied setup.

Try AFR or Keron as they seem to get these in on a regular basis, though I believe you will need to join a queue.

I think comments in the way of; the manual is more of a drivers car, autos are lazy, there's no control with an auto....etc....etc - are all boll**cks. The auto box in a Supra is a corker - especially if you like using it as a GT car.

Yes an auto box and manual box are completely different, but the are both in place to serve the same purpose. At the end of the day, Toyota designed a very fast car and they equipped it well with both options of gearbox.

I think the best thing for you to do is to drive both. The first time I drove an auto I was blown away by: how quick it was, how fast and smooth the gearchange was,and by how violently it kicked down when you wanted it to go.

I think you'll be please with whatever option you choose, but it would be worthwhile remembering that the auto box has it limitations. If your future plans include a big single turbo conversion, then the manual would be the best choice.

Guest BHP>MPG
It will cost at least £3k including fitting to convert to a getrag 6speed, though full conversion kits can be quite hard to find. A clutch may be extra.

You can do this DIY, I wouldn't say it's easy, but it's also not out of the capabilities of a competent DIYer. Just make sure you are well researched, have the correct equipment and take your time to do it right.

However, I still find the deals available from the tuners the best available when all factors are considered. The conversion costs are often included in the price and you have a warrantied setup.

Try AFR or Keron as they seem to get these in on a regular basis, though I believe you will need to join a queue.

Cheers for that. I was only considering it for if I got an automatic and REALLY REALLY disliked the gearbox.

At that price though (IMO anyway) it really is a case of pick a gearbox and stick to our decision.

Extensive test driving to follow :cool:

Cheers for that. I was only considering it for if I got an automatic and REALLY REALLY disliked the gearbox.

At that price though (IMO anyway) it really is a case of pick a gearbox and stick to our decision.

Extensive test driving to follow :cool:

No problem. BTW it is a LOT more than just a gearbox swap, the gearbox is the simple bit, it's everything else involved that makes it not-so-easy. The trans tunnel mod (which involves cutting out a 2 foot section from the top of the tunnel) and the clutch pedal installation are the more involved parts.

Either way, drive a few of each versions before you make your decision, it's far cheaper and easier to buy a TT6 outright than to convert an auto to 6 speed.

Guest BHP>MPG
Auto's are faster.

On paper aren't they 1 second slower to 60? I may be wrong and obviously don't know much about Supras but that's what I thought.

On paper aren't they 1 second slower to 60? I may be wrong and obviously don't know much about Supras but that's what I thought.

If you leave the stick in D, then that may be true, but do the gear changes yourself, and it's a lot faster. Well, it feels a lot faster anyway! ;)

Oh yes it is!! (Well you do have to get over 1 bar!!)

Well it isn't really, it'll go into overdrive when you hit the top of 3rd, but when you slow down and return to sensible speeds it'll stay in 3rd.

I've only managed to hit the top of 3rd on an airstrip, it's not exactly a license friendly speed. :D

Edited by AlexM (see edit history)

In full auto, with the OD button in (meaning you have OD), the box will do all the changing up or down for you all the time, if you want to go V-quick in this mode press your foot right to the floor, then you will hit the down change switch (look on the floor under the peddle, the box will drop a gear and you will be in Wide Open Throttle, zip...

The auto from 0 - 60 is quicker than a manual because the gear changes are quicker.

If you put the system in Manu mode you use the auto shifter a little like a manual gear, you use the change button every time you change, and you start off in L (1st) then change to 2 (2nd) then D (3rd), no OD in manu. This mode is good for a bit of controlled speed for fun.

You can also use it in auto but using L - 2 or D, for example, if you were in 2 then the system will only use 1st and 2nd up or down, this meens if you dont want to go too fast but you want a good sound out of it at 3 or 4,000 rev's then 2 is good.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers.

Bob.

I really dont think the auto changes gear faster than a manual does it?

I have never driven one so im going off vids and sounds here but they still seem to have a slight pause for the gear changes.

Flat shifting in a manual is surely going to be faster.

If anyone wants to take me out in a auto to show me what they are like then i can show them what a manual driven by a knob can do :)

I really dont think the auto changes gear faster than a manual does it?

I have never driven one so im going off vids and sounds here but they still seem to have a slight pause for the gear changes.

Flat shifting in a manual is surely going to be faster.

If anyone wants to take me out in a auto to show me what they are like then i can show them what a manual driven by a knob can do :)

We are talking tenths of a second here, does that really matter on the road? As much as we would like to think, we are not racing drivers.