The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto or manual

Guest BHP>MPG

We are talking tenths of a second here, does that really matter on the road? As much as we would like to think, we are not racing drivers.

Nope and to be honest i wouldn't mind an auto sometimes on the road.

For me i just feel i benefit the manual more than i would an auto. As good as the auto is, i just couldn't bring myself to buy one.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

auto is good, but I do want my gear stick back. Manu mode is crap, it doesn't feel like you have more control of the car at all and I think it is totally pointlee so never use it.

You have no clutch to control of the gears doesn't feel like you actually have control if you get what I mean.

The auto box is good, lazy fast car. Then I drive my ford Kuga and forget to push the clutch down at roundabouts haha.

I will change my gearbox to a 6sp when I can afford it.

I love my auto box, but i am certainly no racing driver and believe that an apex is mystical dragon that is covered in monkey fur.

I will say that it pays to play around with the all the things you can do with an auto box if you are just taking one out for a test drive, or get somebody who has been driving an auto to take you out.

As a daily driver and after getting stuck in traffic for half an hour this morning the supra with an auto box is nice compromise between thrash about fun and relaxed in town driving.

Disclaimer: I drive an n/a i am just presuming that a TT box acts in a similar way.

Guest Carsten
I really dont think the auto changes gear faster than a manual does it?

Remember: On Autos you don´t have any BoostCut between the gear changes :)

Guest BHP>MPG
In full auto, with the OD button in (meaning you have OD), the box will do all the changing up or down for you all the time, if you want to go V-quick in this mode press your foot right to the floor, then you will hit the down change switch (look on the floor under the peddle, the box will drop a gear and you will be in Wide Open Throttle, zip...

The auto from 0 - 60 is quicker than a manual because the gear changes are quicker.

If you put the system in Manu mode you use the auto shifter a little like a manual gear, you use the change button every time you change, and you start off in L (1st) then change to 2 (2nd) then D (3rd), no OD in manu. This mode is good for a bit of controlled speed for fun.

You can also use it in auto but using L - 2 or D, for example, if you were in 2 then the system will only use 1st and 2nd up or down, this meens if you dont want to go too fast but you want a good sound out of it at 3 or 4,000 rev's then 2 is good.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers.

Bob.

Haha cheers but as much as that all informed me it equally confused me too. It's hard for me to understand the flow of driving a Automatic Supra as I have never been in a Supra.

Let me try and grasp this again

So I can be driving along with MANU off, and OD on. Can I then switch into MANU while I'm driving along? And when I'm done playing with MANU can I turn it back off again while driving?

Are MANU and OD both buttons?

So I can be driving along with MANU off, and OD on. Can I then switch into MANU while I'm driving along? And when I'm done playing with MANU can I turn it back off again while driving?

Are MANU and OD both buttons?

Yes to both. ;)

Please don't get me wrong Manual drivers, I have driven manual cars for over 30 years and I thought I would never drive an auto but having had this one for three years and as an everyday car I realy can't fault it.

BHP>MPG, you realy should try to get to a meet and have some one take you out in both, either way they are both stunning.

Cheers.

Bob.

I really dont think the auto changes gear faster than a manual does it?

I have never driven one so im going off vids and sounds here but they still seem to have a slight pause for the gear changes.

Flat shifting in a manual is surely going to be faster.

If anyone wants to take me out in a auto to show me what they are like then i can show them what a manual driven by a knob can do :)

I'd rather get home in one piece :p

Guest BHP>MPG
Please don't get me wrong Manual drivers, I have driven manual cars for over 30 years and I thought I would never drive an auto but having had this one for three years and as an everyday car I realy can't fault it.

BHP>MPG, you realy should try to get to a meet and have some one take you out in both, either way they are both stunning.

Cheers.

Bob.

Yeah that's a good shout, over the summer I think I might have to trickle along to one if I'm welcome.

Hopefully I will be well on my way to getting one by then.

I can see they are both great cars (auto and manual) and I'm sure I will be happy with whatever I got even if I flipped a coin to choose a gearbox.

The fact that the Auto let's you control the gears makes me think it has the best of both worlds and is the better choice

Will have to take you out in mine and show you what the auto is like. I'll take the roof off as well as it makes it feel faster lol

I will take you out in mine then we can compare and then come on here saying how much better each others car is than our own lol

Auto, manual, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things. with all the problems in the world today I would say there is more important things to consider......like the best colour......which is silver....in case you were wondering