The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Top Gear - Lexus LFA

Supra-Brett

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You pay for the brand, the racing pedigree, history, glamour and being part of an elite few that can:

But you're not driving those racing cars, you're in a road car.. sure they're built by the companies that have that history, but here along comes a company who builds a car that outperform all these brands with the history and pedigree in their first attempt!

The fact that they all sold is no surprise either, like I've said before some people will buy them because its a rare car, and expensive, and no other reason! Just to add to their collection.

Add onto that, the car is bound to be reliable, well built and faster than a said Enzo or Zonda around the ring and isnt built like a tin can says quite a lot to me and no doubt those who bought them!

Its funny that Top Gear also bring up the price comparison with this car, I NEVER see it with other expensive motors to justify paying so much for a Zonda, or Bugatti etc over the likes of a Corvette or Nissan that do the same kind of jobs.

I bet they wont have it back in the dry as it'll probably be sitting very near the top of their list... and they couldnt possibly have that on Top Gear as they have a history of slagging off Toyota.

Needless to say, lexus produce some okay looking cars but are known for being a bit boring - a bit like volvo. Volvo as of late seem to be selling cooler cars, probably in an attempt to change their image a little.

The LFA is probably Lexus' effort to show everyone what they can roll out of their factory in a bid to change their "A-HAA" image.

Whats the betting that once they've shifted the LFA's and the world has recognised that they can build decent performance cars, they build something to rival the GTR based loosely on the LFA? same lights, wheels, dash, highly detuned version of the same engine, cheaper gearbox etc etc

i'm sure plenty of owners are lining up to trade in their veyrons for the new lexus LFA :innocent:

seriously, its a quick car, granted, but its 340K and its a lexus.......who is the muppet that would buy a 2.5K casio, come on , own up :D

If I had a VW Veyron then I would :D

I think one thing we do need to understand is the LFA actually costs something like £180K, its the Taxes in the country which push it to £340k. It does look unique & with it being in limited production they can afford to put a stupid price on it! No wonder they are all sold out.

So, this car which no-one will buy has sold out.

:D

500 units, hardly a success story.

If I had a VW Veyron then I would :D

I think one thing we do need to understand is the LFA actually costs something like £180K, its the Taxes in the country which push it to £340k.

doesnt the taxation equally apply to others too?

Not sure you're aware how the economics of car sales works, but when a company do a run of cars at a stated number and they end up with more orders than they have cars to sell, that's exactly what you call a success story.

I am well aware of how economics work and I maintain, hardly a success story, you can agree to disagree :)

Enjoy your purchase if you are one of those 500

At the end of the day I doubt Lexus are majorly worried what Joe Public thinks about the LF-A.

It doesnt affect anyone on here I'd assume directly so the fact they have sold their full stock propbably means it's a success to them.

They couldnt sell 600 after all if they only made 500 and obviously the price wasn't a factor for those who made the purchase.

A MKIV Supra in 1993 could beat the Porsche 928(last year of production in 1994; £72k) ,the Ferrrari 348,an Asto Martin DB7,a BMW 850 amongst others.The LF-A ?

Did you not notice all those porsche, ferrari, Aston Martin drivers trading in their cars to buy a quicker and much cheaper toyota....... :D

I like the car. It's nice to know Lexus/Toyota still have the ability to produce superb cars. Yes its expensive but who cares? Even if it were priced at £140K I couldn't afford one.

As for all the willy waving comments about its 0-60mph speed. Cars are more than the sum of this figure alone. It was much faster round the TG track in the wet than a £1M Veyron. Lets have some perspective here.

For me the exciting part is that all that research and technology will now filter down into new sports cars that they are looking to produce.

I read an article recently where the head of Toyota stated that he wanted to revitalise Toyota and produce a series of sports orientated cars like they had in the 1990's. The FT-HS or whatever it's called, is meant to be the first.

Think you miss my point IMI. A future buyer of a Ferrrari 458 , a Noble 600 or a Maclaren MP4-12S wouldn't trade their cars for one which costs up to twice as much and is slower.:D

Where is your actual evidence?

The LF-A is supposed to have lapped the ring in 7 mins 24 and is said to have done a 7 min 20... where are the actual figures for these new vehicles you mention? or are you just basing your comments on the fact these other cars have more power?

Like has been mentioned above, the Veyron had double the power yet was still slower around the track.

Also dont forget, like the Veyron this car is a daily driver contender, and built to last, unlike most super/hypercars.

Edited by Bobbeh (see edit history)

I was reading an article about this car and there is more to it than meets the eye. It is an expensive lexus yes.

But this car is a prototype for Toyota.

Being the forward thinking company that they are this is a test bed for mass carbon fibre production which Toyota are trying to perfect. Assuming it went well it will eventually wind its way down the production line.

Edited by colsoop
spelling (see edit history)