The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Potential newby subject to solving major problem - Could earn yourself a small reward

ady_supra

The insurers have obviously got your postcode as a high risk area so they dont want your business hence the very high quotes.

I'd move or register the car elsewhere if that can be done legally ofcourse ;)

Do you mean registering it with the DVLA at a different address and how do you mean legally.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm They really are trying to take you to the cleaners. Do you have a parent that maybe able to insure it and put you on as a named driver. If they are over 60 you could get a great deal. i have an import n/a auto, insured with "direct line" who i thought would not touch the car but its well under the £1000 mark.

A UK spec NA!?! the UK spec will be more expensive as your requesting a quote for a TT :)

Not true. :) It's not the power of the car that affects insurance premiums at this level (a 220bhp NA car can do as much damage as a 330bhp TT one), it's the perceived difficulty in finding replacement parts for a car that was never sold in the UK. The insurer's worst case scenario is to have to get parts shipped over from Japan. We know that almost never has to happen, but they like to cover their own @rses.

PS note to the OP: you probably know this already but there's no such thing as a UK NA mkIV supra.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Hi mate

Just did an online quote with them and it came out with £2164.02 and that is a UK spec Supra with no modifications. Import would probs taken it near the £3000 mark, shocking :(

Ouch!

I do live in a decent postcode though :D maybe thats why mine is under 1k. I really feel for you though insurance companies are robbing bastards NOT THAT I WOULD ADVISE THIS but from watching all those cops with camera programs it seems that uninsured drivers get off with hardly any punishment when caught one bloke eventually given community service after his 5th time caught uninsured, you fancy joining the 10% of people that unfairly push our premiums ever higher year on year!

Failing that pal if its not your daily driver and you can pay for safe storage out of that postcode, maybe have it as a wknd car until you can move out of bradford.......

Just a thought

I just feel like i'm being discriminated against as some people with similar age, no claims bonus etc, but on a different postcode are paying under £700 on modified twin turbo Supras.

Well, I don't know if you can call it discriminating... if you live in a high risk area then it costs more to insure. Insurance is entirely based on risk.

It just sounds a bit extreme that i'll have to move out of Bradford in order to drive a Supra.

Think of the excuses to drive back into bradford if you did move though, especially for a good chinese or indian takeaway an excuse to drive further in the supra is one thing you will come to understand if you do get one. Hell a 5 mile round trip to the shops turned into a 150 mile cruise a few weeks back :D

Honestly it seems like the quotes are based on where you live so no matter the model of car, insurance will be pretty high, paying for storage or renting a secure lockup wopuld probably brings the costs down significantly either that or chose the highest excess you can afford based on the crossed fingers approach that it will never happen to you.

Unfortunately you live in the 7th highest area for car crime in the UK. It's 65% above the national average so you're going to get stung.

Your choices (none of which you're going to like) are:-

1. Move to a safer area. (Swindon has the lowest car crime. But it would mean living in Swindon.)

2. Pay the money. (After all you're trying to buy a car that cost as much as £40,000 when new, and if sold nowadays would probably fetch around £55 - 60K. You've got to expect to pay out!)

3. Buy a lower insurance group car. (You would still get stung on that because you would still be living in a high risk area, but at least you'll be able to afford it.)

As I said, you're not going to like the choices but there they are.

Unfortunately you live in the 7th highest area for car crime in the UK. It's 65% above the national average so you're going to get stung.

Yup. For reference:

August 2009

1. Chislehurst, south east London

2. Wingate, Durham

3. Redbridge, east London

4. Hatfield, Doncaster

5. Manchester city centre

6. Banwell, Somerset

7. Bradford city centre, West Yorkshire

8. Arbourthorne, Sheffield

9. New Tredegar, Newport, south Wales

10. Romford town centre, east London

Yup. For reference:

August 2009

2. Wingate, Durham

4. Hatfield, Doncaster

6. Banwell, Somerset

Martini it states next to your Avatar that your in Manchester City Centre which is rated 5th. How have you managed to get insured?

Thanks

Ady

Martini it states next to your Avatar that your in Manchester City Centre which is rated 5th. How have you managed to get insured?

I'm not exactly in the centre but pretty close.

As for insurance, I am paying through my arse. However, the car is securely locked away and I only drive her at weekends - not a commuter car, and have estimated under 5000 miles use per year.

I did a lot of phoning around and am on a plan that caters for Japanese cars with body modifications (I have side skirts and spats).

Do you mean registering it with the DVLA at a different address and how do you mean legally.

It would be bending the rules i think unless you actually kept the car at the registered address so ignore my comment.

I'd move mate as it sounds like unless you break the rules you wont get a decent quote.

I wouldn't call moving out of Bradford extreme, I'd call it self preservation ;)

:D

:D

Indeed Supra is better than Bradford.

Most things/places are better than Bradford.

Yup. For reference:

August 2009

2. Wingate, Durham

4. Hatfield, Doncaster

6. Banwell, Somerset

I'm Surprised not to see Leeds on here. A few years ago, it was considered one of the worst areas in Europe for car crime!

I don't know what all the fuss is about, you would only have the car a few days before it was stolen anyway so are you not best just to rent one for a few days as it will be cheaper and achieve the same end result.

I thought most people in Bradford drove without insurance anyway! and normally in a "borrowed" car.

Hello all

I'm new to this site and hoping to buy a manual non turbo import Supra very soon subject to work arrangements.

Atleast you havent gone out there and bought the car already.

Look for the cheapest insurance which you are already doing. Whatever the amount factor that into the price of the car (annual basis) and see whether you can afford it.

I used to pay 1600 to insure a honda prelude......

I don't know what all the fuss is about, you would only have the car a few days before it was stolen anyway so are you not best just to rent one for a few days as it will be cheaper and achieve the same end result.

I thought most people in Bradford drove without insurance anyway! and normally in a "borrowed" car.

LOL! i would liken owning a Supra (or any nice, desirable car) in that sort of area, to going on a night out in Bradford centre dressed in pink and wearing large gold chains, without carrying an AK47 or being a member of the local mafia.

The type that do get stolen are likely to be cheap ones just for a joyride or more expensive ones that can be sold on as a whole or for parts. I can't really see anybody targeting a £3500 Supra that has Cat 1 security. If it didn't have any security then its a lot more likely. The street i live is generally safe although there tends to be mainly UK cars parked but some of them are quite highly valued.