The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Potential newby subject to solving major problem - Could earn yourself a small reward

ady_supra

Have you tried the usual insurance companies that people use on here?

Lancaster insurance

Sky insurance

Greenlight insurance

Brentacre insurance

A-plan

Adrian Flux

Chriss Knott

Hi mate

I've tried them all but all coming in expensive minimum £2200, one of them mentioned that if the Supra was a twin turbo then it could be as much as £6800, simply shocking. Its like they are confident that the car will be stolen or crashed within the first years of ownership.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ady, I've get in contact with Ollie on here, username: SkyInsurance. I know you mentioned you have spoken to Sky but he might be able to sort you out a deal and with the no claims and your age I thought the postcode would only be a slight difference (20% tops I thought).

I am 24, with 6 Years NCB living in East London (Which is regarded a high risk).

Though I do leave right nearer Canary Wharf which is slightly lower risk and its on my drive way.

Sky quoted me £950 TPFT with a Twin Turbo Import.

Are you able to have a drive way as that might help?

Ady, I've get in contact with Ollie on here, username: SkyInsurance. I know you mentioned you have spoken to Sky but he might be able to sort you out a deal and with the no claims and your age I thought the postcode would only be a slight difference (20% tops I thought).

I am 24, with 6 Years NCB living in East London (Which is regarded a high risk).

Though I do leave right nearer Canary Wharf which is slightly lower risk and its on my drive way.

Sky quoted me £950 TPFT with a Twin Turbo Import.

Are you able to have a drive way as that might help?

hi mate

sorry got not driveway as its a terrace house

How will they bring my quote down by so much as they quoted me £2900.

Thanks

hi mate

sorry got not driveway as its a terrace house

How will they bring my quote down by so much as they quoted me £2900.

Thanks

Hi,

I've been watching this thread but so far have not commented.

Bradford is a completely excluded area for us unfortunately.

Our hands are tied on this.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Hi,

I've been watching this thread but so far have not commented.

Bradford is a completely excluded area for us unfortunately.

Our hands are tied on this.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Hi Sky Insurance

Can i ask why all of the Bradford (BD) postcode is an excluded area. Would be interested to know why and whether or not it is actually fact or fiction.

Thanks

I insured my car as a classic when it was an n/a through sureterm direct, maybe worth a go?

Hi Vicky

How does the company declare it as a classic car, surely it will have to be something that was manufactured at least in the 80's or before that to be considered a classic, unless you have one of the earlier mark Supra's.

Thanks

Hi Vicky

How does the company declare it as a classic car, surely it will have to be something that was manufactured at least in the 80's or before that to be considered a classic, unless you have one of the earlier mark Supra's.

Thanks

Some insurance companies will insure a car from over 10 years old as a classic :)

Is that actual Bradford or all BD postcodes?

All 'BD' postcodes unfortunately. It is rare we 'band' postcodes together.

Classic policies - these are more about the customer than the car, eg (usually), must be a second car, kept in a garage, limited mileage etc

Trade policies - yes the car is insured on paper.. but if you crash, you'll get 'book' value if you're lucky.

Crikey, that's a shocker - I've had a few BD postcodes in the past but none of them were within 20 miles of Bradford (luckily), one of them was closer to 40 miles away.

I guess I won't be moving back in that direction with a nice car in a hurry :)

Classic policies - these are more about the customer than the car, eg (usually), must be a second car, kept in a garage, limited mileage etc

Trade policies - yes the car is insured on paper.. but if you crash, you'll get 'book' value if you're lucky.

There are 24 BD postcodes in total ranging from BD1 to BD24.

Surely BD23 and BD24 shouldn't be excluded as they are grouped as an A which is the lowest risk possible. (Same as Isle of Man).

The type that do get stolen are likely to be cheap ones just for a joyride or more expensive ones that can be sold on as a whole or for parts. I can't really see anybody targeting a £3500 Supra that has Cat 1 security. If it didn't have any security then its a lot more likely. The street i live is generally safe although there tends to be mainly UK cars parked but some of them are quite highly valued.

Far more effective than a Cat 1 security system would be a large sticker stating that "This Car Is Not A Turbo"

Have you tried Tesco as they used to insure my J spec TT?

There are 24 BD postcodes in total ranging from BD1 to BD24.

Surely BD23 and BD24 shouldn't be excluded as they are grouped as an A which is the lowest risk possible. (Same as Isle of Man).

We can only go by our underwriters claims stats, unfortunately we have little or no say when it comes to which areas are restricted/excluded etc. Each underwriter will have their own stats. We questioned one particular area recently and asked for the exclusion to be lifted but were told there was a significant level of fraudulent activity in the area and our request was denied :(

On a personal note, I find it frustrating and I have a similar problem. I live in St Albans, quite an affluent area. I live off the beaten track, and you have to go through an electronic gate to get to my drive way. My postcode is classed as high risk due to being in close proximity to Hatfield, which IS classed as high risk.

Also, and I have stated this before.. as a company it is hugely frustrating when you have a customer on the phone who is a perfect insurance risk and you have to say no or provide an expensive price on the basis of the postcode.

Also, we can quote in the BD area (as we have indeed done in this case) but usually we apologise and explain to the customer that it is an area which we really struggle with and we would be uncompetitive. Some people push for a price though.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Any further suggestions.

A Plan never rang me up, prob had a look at the .ostcode and decided it would be a waste of time.

Thanks

yes, do a search on the internet and find any companies that are known to insure Bradford post codes and give them a go. Then do a search for insurance companies that will cover high risk and give them a go, and then search for all insurance companies and phone as many as you can face until you find one that will cover you.

There is no simple solution to this, you need to put in the leg work to get what you want.