The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Started to wrap the dash panels

Guest blueangel

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blueangel
That looks VERY well done. Is it heat shrunk after the glue app? Or just take it slow and smooth it over the panel? what prep is needed etc....

its just a take it kinda slow job fella but not too slow lol or the glue dries, mine were painted before so i just roughed them up with 180 paper to give the glue a key and worked it on slowly lots of glue thou and have your fabric cut first.

looks amazing

question - this stuff comes in a roll like fabric? so its it a fabric feel or?

my mate does carbon fiber work and fiberglass. i just bought a half carbon trd spoiler and i gave him my end caps to do a carbon wrap over the fiberglass, again he uses a roll of carbon fiber but then has to apply resin over the top to harden it to get that smooth shiny look over the top?

Is it possible to wrap something as a fender which have alot of corners? and can you use it for exterior? I'm thinking about wrapping my dads Lotus super 7. Its only 4 fenders and 2 headlights :p But is it possible to make it stretch without it folding?

http://www.agencybusinesssystems.com/L7/CycleFendersPair.JPG

you can wrap anything. like i said my mate done my trd side bits so thats exterior, he said he can do any thing as its just putting material around what ever is being covered then just putting resin over that

thats why i asked this stuff he is using for the dash, does it have resin over the top or is it just a material finish?

looks amazing

question - this stuff comes in a roll like fabric? so its it a fabric feel or?

my mate does carbon fiber work and fiberglass. i just bought a half carbon trd spoiler and i gave him my end caps to do a carbon wrap over the fiberglass, again he uses a roll of carbon fiber but then has to apply resin over the top to harden it to get that smooth shiny look over the top?

Seen the same thing too. Normally a fabric material that needs a clear coat on top to make it look like the real thing.

Very impressed with the results. Probably the best home job I have seen so far. So do you think you will need to put a clear coat on top?

Edit: Also I love the steering surround. Get a trader app in soon so you can do mine :D

The stuff used in this thread is a textured vinyl fabric to look like carbon fibre, you couldn't use resin on top as it would probably melt it and wouldn't look good anyway. As I've said I've seen examples of it being clear coated and it doesn't work.

The 'material' that has resin over it is normally proper carbon fibre cloth and the process is called carbon overlay, alot harder to achieve good result than this.

If used on exterior parts I'm not sure how well what's been used here would hold up, there are 3M type self adhesive vinyls that are very similar to this and are designed for exterior wraps.

I've got a small sample of the silver and it's a textured soft vinyl with a soft sheen appearance, not like material or cloth. It's more like what the door cards are covered in but with a different look and texture.

Edit: as you can tell it's difficult to describe!

Guest blueangel

it is a difficult feel to decribe guys when its not stuck to anything it feels almost like a very fine rubbery feel but very flexible then when you stick it down it feels diff yet again like the soft touch rubber that is normally on the dash but its also waterproof and wipe clean so should be easy to keep clean and tidy.

Guest blueangel

right hold fire guys lol this does look awsome when first done but problems here now lol,

Gonna research some glue now as we had some sun this morning and some of the bits under pressure have lifted when the dash got hot.Gonna have to find a better glue methinks something that sets harder maybe.

Its not too bad as it sticks back down again if you push it and smooth it over but not brilliant in the long term to keep having to do that.

Edited by blueangel (see edit history)

right hold fire guys lol this does look awsome when first done but problems here now lol,

Gonna research some glue now as we had some sun this morning and some of the bits under pressure have lifted when the dash got hot.Gonna have to find a better glue methinks something that sets harder maybe.

Its not too bad as it sticks back down again if you push it and smooth it over but not brilliant in the long term to keep having to do that.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/angel984/supra%20mk2%20darkangel/007-11.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/angel984/supra%20mk2%20darkangel/009-6.jpg

?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3m-Barley-Headlining-Kit-Heat-Resistant-Spray-Glue_W0QQitemZ310147469531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH?hash=item48363ad0db