my supe came off road today

dublin lad

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bloody had the ex in car on our way back from inverness. driving past elgin on the lhanbryde exit roundabout 2nd gear about 20mph the car spun right around and stopped facing other way of traffic. ground was slightly damp. needless to say we both got a scare.

Sound to me like you need some new tyres!

checked tires m8 all fine one is slighly close to limit but its front o/s one. not exactly sure what happened but if any car was behind me it could have been nasty. but i will be looking in to new tires for car.

and wheel size check, and geometry, and a lesson on how to drive a rwd car :thumbdown: From your previous posts you come across as an utter twat "dublin lad", just hope you don't injure or worse kill anyone while you learn how to drive.

Very harsh Homer you grumpy ?. Had mine a couple of weeks now and seems stable enough to me reckon the geometry is important, previous owners have had mine done and it shows when you drive it.Get the feeling stock wheels, geometry,and decent tyres are important.Then again you ever noticed how much diesel and oil are on the road when it rains.All said and done you can only drive to the conditions.

and wheel size check, and geometry, and a lesson on how to drive a rwd car :thumbdown: From your previous posts you come across as an utter $#@! "dublin lad", just hope you don't injure or worse kill anyone while you learn how to drive.

That's what I was thinking. I'd already mind-written my reply before I reached Homer's response.

Anyone who gets the car to spin at 20 mph is either lying about how fast they were going or has something wrong with their car. I drove a TT for a few years EVERY SINGLE DAY no matter what the weather. I can only recall one incident of genuine steppyoutness and that was because I gave it too much gas turning right outside a garage in the rain. It was MY FAULT not the cars, not the fault of a diesel spill or auto-kickdown.

Defo check why you lost control at 20mph, like what homer said. Been there done that for me, RIP my black Supra TT.

I blame my crash on 19" fox alloys with cheapo brand tyres, it was bought from a dealer who don't really know much about supra. I don't know anything about supra back then and thought wow that looks cool... Thinking about it the alloys/tyres could be of wrong fitment as the front looks the same width as the back.

Take car and drive safe

Edited by China Man
spellings (see edit history)

That's what I was thinking. I'd already mind-written my reply before I reached Homer's response.

Anyone who gets the car to spin at 20 mph is either lying about how fast they were going or has something wrong with their car. I drove a TT for a few years EVERY SINGLE DAY no matter what the weather. I can only recall one incident of genuine steppyoutness and that was because I gave it too much gas turning right outside a garage in the rain. It was MY FAULT not the cars, not the fault of a diesel spill or auto-kickdown.

I can get my NA to slide out at 20mph :) And I do do agree with you though.

SteveR

tDR

Ian C

These guys have put a lot of time, money and expertise into providing us with the best information they can on suspension, geometry, wheels, tyres etc.

Well worth a read. You may not need everything but it's wise to do little bits at a time to improve your car.

Start with decent tyres. T.I.G.G.E.R provided some entertainment for us at a meet recently. He has Chinese tyres :blink: but he knows they're absolutely crap and drives accordingly. :)

I've only had one incident, that was down to worn tyres and a little too much boot in wet conditions.

Take it easy and learn. Watch some of Bignum's racing vids too see how well these cars can handle when driven properly.

I can get my NA to slide out at 20mph :)

The key words being 'can get'. I doubt very much if any Supra will slide of it's one accord at 20mph.

Then again mybe Toyota saved a few bob by not testing it's cornering ability at low speed. Who knows.

Mate, get the geo checked. I had a stock auto TT before my current beast, and that behaved beautifully everywhere. It was never a handful, and never slid out unprovoked. The supra is not a hard car to drive fast, it shouldn't be twitchy or dangerous. Even when the rear does slide, it's not snappy and should be relatively easy to catch.

Either your geo is way out, or you can't drive.

and wheel size check, and geometry, and a lesson on how to drive a rwd car :thumbdown: From your previous posts you come across as an utter twat "dublin lad", just hope you don't injure or worse kill anyone while you learn how to drive.

Ooh, sounds like Darryl's fingers have gone through the bog roll......:D

I personally can't understand how you spin an NA at 20mph??

I have difficulty getting my NA to step out in any weather and when it does it is very easy to control. Then again, I am the best driver I know.....:sly:

H.

Ive got rather wide 19's on my car and it doesnt do that in the rain, the cars had a bit of a makeover underneath though and isnt on worn out crap tyres.

13 + years of tt mkiv's and the only time ive lost my car was at Silverstone when i tried to leave my braking another 5 meters later than i should of :D i cant see how you can spin a mkiv at 20 mph unless its f****ed, your tyres are f****ed, your on ice or your on diesel.

I'd be interested to know the tyre makes and sizes.......the lower tread on one front may suggest a different brand on the same axle? - a big no no in my experience. Also turn your wheels from lock to lock to check the inside 1/3 of your tyre tread - they are often bald here when they look ok parked up normally.

A supra in the dry will behave very well up to enthusiastic corner speeds whatever rubber it has, when its damp poor rubber will make it poles apart from the good stuff.

I remember driving my early supras and not knowing what make of tyres i had on, it not something i'd really had to think about before then, but in a RWD car it should be. I'm not saying everyone without premium tyres should just change them tomorrow (although if they can afforded it they should!) but you should be aware of what tyres you have, do some research on how they fit in the performance car heirachy and then based on this possibly don't expect too much from the car in its current state.

So what tyre sizes and makes do you have on each corner Dublin lad?

The key words being 'can get'. I doubt very much if any Supra will slide of it's one accord at 20mph.

Then again mybe Toyota saved a few bob by not testing it's cornering ability at low speed. Who knows.

Hahaha, that is true, a fair few pounds have been spent on mine to get it to do that (well not really, but the 2way diff does have the side effect of that :))

Harsh Homer, but fair comment,there must be bad tyres/geometry or bad driving involved, i quite often spin turn my single (which is in effect an N/A at very low speeds) but as already said, i have to consciously do it, even in the rain.

When I bought mine I had all sorts of problems with the back wanting to jump out even at low speeds....the car didnt stick to the road. I had the wheels realigned and she seems much better now. I dont drive like an idiot.

Edit: there is one particular round about that RedM and michael would know on the by pass bteween menston and Burley in Wharfdale... no matter how slow I go there the camber of the road makes the back end want to swing out.... it used to do that with my Astra too.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)