The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Well another supra heads to the grave yard :(

Sean1933

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean! Nooooo! Oh my goodness, that's really awful. Just look what you've done to that bridge! ;)

I'm really gutted for you, and all the hard work you put into that car.

We were talking about you at the Sussex meet today, and what a nice job/colour you've done with it. :(

Glad to see you're alright though, and get back in another car as soon as possible, because you don't want to have a fear of driving. :)

Very sorry to hear this Sean.Glad you are ok though.

Cahps and chapesses, this serves as a timely reminder that the roads are lethal. Overtaking is particularly fraught with danger as I mentioned in my safer driving thread

When overtaking, be aware that when moving out, you may lose traction going over the centre white lines in the road.

So instead of flooring it and then moving out, position yourself behind the car infront at a sufficient distance so that you can see infront,check your mirror, then move out into the oncoming lane to see clearly infront. Have a good look for junctions and other hazards ahead, check and see if there is a stop over gap infront of the car you're about to pass if it's safe to go, then go, if not come back in.

White lines at this time of year have the potential to be a killer. Bikers know to avoid white lines but with high powered RWD cars, you can, unforunately be caught out by losing traction as you move out.

Take care out there guys.

Thanks for all the comments guys. And no i wont be charged for the bridge my insurer will, ruff guessing with the police we recon £8K to fix it.

I'm feeling worse this morning to be honest. Usual neck is killing me and pain in my left leg, must have banged it and not realised, lower abdomen also i guess from the seatbelt. The worst thing is the psych though to be honest, at the moment i cant think of anything worse than getting in a car and driving. I'm fine as a passenger though which is weird, its like i just dont trust myself which isnt good because i was considered by many as a good driver who could control a drift if i wanted to, now my 1.4 citroen seems too much for me. I cant stop seeing the wall and the front of my car, like looking through a transparent photo 24hrs a day, feel like a nervous wreck at the mo. And i just woke up from a 10 hour dream of reliving the whole thing over and over again. Not plesant.

Just goes to show how easy it is too be cought out. I've been driving high power supra's for the last 5 years and never had anything like this happen, its always been at a point of expected loss of traction that could be controlled with feathering of the throttle and a bit of opposit lock. From now on, if/when i get another fast car it will only be coming out on warm dry days as its just not worth the risk, front wheel drive all the way for everyday use me thinks.

Leave the supra at home & take the runabout, trust me.

Edited by Sean1933 (see edit history)

Just seen this thread & sorry to see it all happen :( glad your all OK though, cars can be replaced dead bodies can't

Once again take it easy out there not best road conditions for driving Supra on that's why I always have a second car

Blimey mate, lucky escape.

I think you were mad overtaking there on that road in this weather though to be honest, sorry. That road is lethal at the best of times, it's always slippery. And that bridge is on a crest so can be quite blind too.

Be a good learning experience though eh, hope you feel better soon.

And no i wont be charged for the bridge my insurer will, ruff guessing with the police we recon £8K to fix it.

£8000? Dream on, by the time the council's finished with that, your insurer will be looking at the wrong side of £100k.

£8000? Dream on, by the time the council's finished with that, your insurer will be looking at the wrong side of £100k.

100k for what? No wonder contracts are won by companies from abroad, who with the right mind would splash more than 5k for a job on this one.

really sorry to see this but glad your ok, i crashed my last p & j (not a supra tho), also hitting a wall on a road i had driven for years but weather conditions caught me out too, took me a good while to get over it and i'm still an uneasy passanger if someones driving fast but in the long run i was glad of the experiance, it really makes you think, i'm absolutely fine behind the wheel now but even a tiny bit of rain i won't risk overtaking, imo it's just not worth the risk.

Good to see your insurance should cover everything and after the initial shock you'll soon feel better and be craving to get behind the wheel of another supra, even if it doesn't feel like that now.

Ive driven FWDs all my life, so getting the Supra (albeit an n/a!) has been a bit of a culture shock. Also, getting the car mid-January probably isnt ideal timing-wise. At the mo, Im looking forward to dry roads (dont think theyve been completely dry since I got it) and some fresh new tyres.

Those white lines never gave me any probs in my Celica, maybe the whole FWD thing has its upsides...