The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Well another supra heads to the grave yard :(

Sean1933

Very sorry to hear this Sean.Glad you are ok though.

Cahps and chapesses, this serves as a timely reminder that the roads are lethal. Overtaking is particularly fraught with danger as I mentioned in my safer driving thread

White lines at this time of year have the potential to be a killer. Bikers know to avoid white lines but with high powered RWD cars, you can, unforunately be caught out by losing traction as you move out.

Take care out there guys.

Very wise words.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your anxiety over the incident is probably normal. When I was 17 I crashed into the back of someone due to driving too close in wet conditions. It shook me up & took me a while to regain my confidence at the wheel. It did however teach me a valuble lesson, and although I am fine driving now I never drive close to peoples arses and I am always super carefull in the wet. You'll get over this incident & it will make you a better driver :)

So sorry to hear this Sean. It seams you were genuinly unlucky to have the accident. The main thing is though mate you walked away. Could have been worse. Im pleased you're ok:)

Dont worry about the insurance etc that will all sort itself out:)

Ah sorry to hear about that dude...

I did the same thing but at much slower speeds...the damage didnt look seriously bad from the outside like yours but behind the bumper there was alot...

The insurance company wrote it off but I have repaired it for less than 1.5k .... but then mine wasnt structural damage... looks like yours might be :s

Heres what mine looked like... http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=170040

Guest SupralessDave

Sorry to hear that u smashed ur baby up, glad your ok tho mate lucky u didn't end up in the river! give me a bell 07976221886 dave watson...

Cheers guys. Yep shes got structural damage alright. Had another look at her today as went to get my pfx out. Was a bit annoyed i couldnt get my cd out the player as i thought the battery was ok...however upon close inspection it seemed the ali overflow tank now resided INSIDE the battery! Just the battery casing was left with no internals, hence no ignition power! ;) . I believe both chassis legs are bent to hell, cross member bent and godknows what else! Engine looks like its fine though, only damage was viscous fan was snapped off, possible waterpump cracked in that case but there not too expensive. Might be able to buy back the salvage for a few £k, if so then she will be stripped and sold off. TT6 gearbox conversion anyone?

Good to see you back on here Dave. Just going to eat my dinner then i'll give you a bell, be good to catch up!

Sorry to hear this chap, Glad you are okay - looks like someone was watching over you!

I know exactly what you are feeling with regards to driving and the constant 'flashbacks'.

I had a crash similar to this just before the start of 2008 - an idot pulled out of a blind junction on a country road in front of me and it sent the back end of my skyline into a spin as i swerved. I ended up going down the road completely side on before regaining traction and heading over a ditch into a tree at 40 mph!

I had injuries like yours, whiplash (hurts like a bugger looking down doesnt it lol) and the most amazing purple and yellow bruise across my abdomen from the belt.

The most problematic was the constant visions of the tree coming towards me day and night. Playing Stuntman ignition that i had got for christmas, lasted 1 minute before i had to turn it off.

It takes a few days but it will soon stop. Driving will be an overly cautious duty for a few weeks, but you've got to keep getting behind the wheel. I couldnt even be a passsenger for a week after mine without watching every tree and hedgerow with panic, so youre already ahead of me there!

Try and avoid playing any car games on the console and keep driving as much as possible and you'll soon be able to put it behind you mate. Hope things settle down quickly for you and you can just worry about the slow ass insurance payout :D

Edited by Reaver (see edit history)

The buy back price will be an absolute bargain compared to the price it'd go for at salvage. Provided the engine and box are okay you could make a killing if you part it out.

Recent example of a very nice TT6: buy-back offered at £1830, sold for auction at over £4k. Part out value if you're determined would be £5-6k. Your one has a lot of damage though so that would be reduced somewhat

6spd convertions are worth £2.5k, engines, wiring, etc around £1.2k (although some traders seem to sell them for more). Then you have all the other bits you can get rid of, you'd be suprised what they will mkae, you just need time, patience and some decent storage to do it and make a tidy profit.

With regards to the feelings you are suffering from now I had lots of flashbacks after I was involved in a serious accident. As col said its symptom of PTS. Mine lasted quite a while but they do fade in time, hopefully you will get back to your normal self shortly. I also found it very un-nerving the 1st time I drove again.

Guest thr33king5

Sorry to hear the bad news about the Supra, Craig told me the other day at work. Glad your ok.

Iv quickly noticed how tricky it can be driving my Supra in these current weather conditions, i'll be extra cautious now!

I managed to get some pics in the car park at work just a few days before your crash, probably the last pic taken of it before the crash.

Thought you might be interested:

Excuse the poor camera phone quality!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hear the bad news about the Supra, Craig told me the other day at work. Glad your ok.

Iv quickly noticed how tricky it can be driving my Supra in these current weather conditions, i'll be extra cautious now!

I managed to get some pics in the car park at work just a few days before your crash, probably the last pic taken of it before the crash.

Thought you might be interested:

Excuse the poor camera phone quality!

Cheers mate only just seen this, nice pic but a shame she wasnt clean, lol :D . Just trying to sort out the insurance idiots, sure you know how that is! ;)

Gutted mate, was a very nice sup. After I totalled mine out last year it took me a while to be able to drive without having flashbacks of the rear end of a jag :O When I got back into a Supra my haert rate would jump through the roof just going 40 haha, it will all pass in time. The insurance people tend to be idiots when it comes to mods, I had only had my kit on 4 days when it totalled and didn't get a dime back for it with full coverage, fight em to the death!