The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garage Whifbitz Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

That difference is incredible :blink:

I can't get my head round why the twin WG setup alone would make any difference to spool - surely they are not doing anything until it's near full boost anyway? Could it just down to better exhaust flow in the manifold, collector design and pulse to the turbine?

The manifold paul is now using is twin scroll so it has two separate volutes within the turbine housing. The main reason for doing this is to isolate the pulses coming from each exhaust port and maintain more of the pulse energy from each cylinder all the way down to the turbine wheel. If you can maintian more energy at the turbine wheel it then will spool faster. The firing order is designed around the manifold also on most TS manifolds so each bank of the scroll gets a pulse equally .

The best way to control the boost is to have 1 wastegates of each scroll. This keeps the exhaust pulses isolated and maintains more of the energy. Pauls manifold has this... The Hks doesn't as it has one wastegate and all the pulses join in the collector.

Another reason why it will spools faster slightly i reckon is the thickest of the manifold on pauls is alot! more than competiors so it keeps the energy isolated more.

Only down side is it isn't light :D but i can never see one cracking!

That will be £20 thanks Paul :p

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the explaination Ryan, makes perfect sense now :) So, not just the manifold on it's own, but a mix of good manifold design and a twin scroll turbo housing.

Edit - Just a quick question (for Ryan/Paul), would the difference be noticable with a smaller turbo (e.g. "T67" size with divided housing?). I would imagine it being less noticable, but would it be worthwhile? Also, if the housing is divided would that mean a higher A/R thus negating the spool benefits? Sorry for the off topic Paul, can copy this to a seperate thread if you want, but might help you sell some more of these depending on the answer :D

Thanks for the explaination Ryan, makes perfect sense now :) So, not just the manifold on it's own, but a mix of good manifold design and a twin scroll turbo housing.

Edit - Just a quick question (for Ryan/Paul), would the difference be noticable with a smaller turbo (e.g. "T67" size with divided housing?). I would imagine it being less noticable, but would it be worthwhile? Also, if the housing is divided would that mean a higher A/R thus negating the spool benefits? Sorry for the off topic Paul, can copy this to a seperate thread if you want, but might help you sell some more of these depending on the answer :D

I would imagine it would make a difference with any turbo, only way to know for sure and thats try it out.

Some of you will like these. Installed all of my Ikeya Formula rose jointed suspension, proper bits of kit these. Rose jointed toe arms, lower arms and traction rods. Also front lower arms which have adjustable roll centre positions which is nice for setting up the suspension properly, I'm hoping this will get rid of some of the low speed understeer our Supra's suffer with. I'm using Superpro poly bushes in the upper arms for the moment, I'll probably get some Ikeya Formula rose jointed upper arms soon, which will also enable me to increase the track as well, I'll need some wider arches to go with them though. Just happen to have a set of Ridox arches here...

Edited by Paul Whiffin (see edit history)

Very nice matey, cracking updates, the grippy tape is a nice touch as well.

Have you weighed the car recently?

Not for awhile, I'm hoping to have knocked another 50kg off with the exhaust, heater, sound proofing and dash. But I've put a bit back on with the manifold and front lower suspension arms. So I'd be happy with 40kg weight loss, still a big chunk when your at the stage I am.

Finished off all the boost solenoid/wastegate piping. Done the whole lot in Goodridge fittings and braided hose, quite a few of them with the twin wastegates, took ages making them up. Then protected the hoses near any heat with DEi heat barrier tubing. Refitted the heatshielding to protect the master cylinders and the air box around the air filter to. Thats another job jobbed.

Pretty much ready to go to Oulton Park Friday now, few bits and piece to do tomorrow and we are off.