Garage Whifbitz Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm surpised Paul that you were not running a billet tensioner bracket from the beginning as it's a known fault on high hp / high rpm engines. My friend broke one even on stock twins but he was lucky that he had stock cams.

I've been running without one for about 11 years now, built countless engines, etc, etc and never had a failure so didn't see it being neccesary. Obviously feel differently now!

Small update, I dropped the VVTi cylinder head off at my porting guys last week. The new 280 deg 9.9mm lift Titan Motorsports VVTi cams will be with me early next week so should all be ready for me to put back together when we get back from Le Mans.

This is unchartered territory with these VVTi cams as the only company offering anything before was HKS and they were quite mild in comparison. So I'm hoping for some impressive results.

Should be very interesting this, Paul - does the VVTi head bolt on to a non-VVTi block ok and then just need the wiring for the VVTi to work (and then remapping I'm guessing?)

I have a VVTi block in my car but you can use it on a non-VVTI block, just need an oil feed for the VVTi solenoid. As long as you have an ECU like Syvecs that will control the VVTi its a pretty simple conversion.

• 4 weeks later...
Just screwing this all back together right now, hopefully it will all be ready for this weekends Time Attack at Brands Hatch, should be unless I come across any problems. Its going to be hot work in the car if the weather stays like this!

how's the VVTi looking?

how's the VVTi looking?

Its not, basically Titan Motorsport forgot to order my cams and its going to be another 6 weeks for them to be made. I'll be having my own cams made now anyway but wont be for awhile now as I've put my old non-VVTi head back on and I'm not taking it off again soon!

Well, my bad luck is sticking around. After the first session at Brands Hatch I noticed some blue dust on the inner wing, traced it back towards the engine. Took the cambelt cover off and the belt had a big deep groove around it as if something was rubbing on it. So took the front off the engine and found a chunk of metal wedged between the cambelt and the oil pump. Then noticed the cambelt tensioner bearing/pulley had grease hanging out of it. Basically that piece of metal was the dust cover from the bearing. How random is that one. Luckily Sumo Power had a spare cambelt and bearing so got it running again but I was so close to another head full of bent valves! Got it running for the qualifying and final but was on the back foot a bit missing a session and bedding in new brake pads.

Full report coming on the whole event very soon.....