The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garage Whifbitz Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

The turbo I'm using is a GT4094R with a GT42 compressor wheel in a machined out GT40 housing. Its not an off the shelf Garrett unit but available to buy through myself of course, list price is about £1600 + VAT approx.

There should be a dyno sheet on this thread somewhere?

thanks pal, will take a look.

plans to rebuild a new engine for our supra next winter. but still looking around for a good turbo with nice spool and power.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, not that good news really. We were at Knockhill in the 2nd round of our 2010 Time Attack campaign. In qualifying all was going well, getting faster and faster and just about to turn up to full boost. There was a red flag so came into the pitlane and noticed it was running rough. Turned it off, had a quick nose around under the bonnet and couldn't see anything wrong so tried starting it. Sounded like it had no compression so we pushed it back to our pit garage(tent!), had to have a sit down after that as it was uphill. Anyway, took the spark plug cover off and found the cambelt sitting right on the edge of the cam pulleys with no tension on it. Stripped the front down further and the cambelt tensioner pulley bracket had sheared in half. By this time we had an hour to the finals. Now, sitting right next to my car was Supradoopa's, I had no spare tensioner pulley so the only option was to take it off his car! But before I started anything I had to find a crank pulley puller and someway of compressing the cambelt tensioner, luckily the boys from Buddyclub had the tools and gave me a hand to, thanks again for that! It was all to no avail though, by the time we got it off and started putting my car back together we had 5 minutes left before the session started so gave up. I then spent an hour putting Supradoopa's car back together in the pissing rain! At I tried though.

At the moment, I have no idea if the engine is ok or not, I'd imagine 24 bent valves but wont know until I put the front back together and do a leak down & compression test, I've got all my fingers crossed.

Also, the brakes are still playing up which is really starting to annoy me now.

Traction control is now working a treat, absolutely the nuts now, I'm now a 100% Syvecs fan.

I'll post a picture of the broken tensioner bracket when I get back tomorrow. Anyone running high revs, by a billet one, I'm going to get a few made up ASAP and will be fitte to all our race engines from now on. All part of R&D.

I saw you come in to the pits Paul. Looked like you where really going for it before that red flag. Thought it was you who nearly hit the streaker on the track that caused the red.

Steve came in early on the finals too what happened to him. He posted a good time tho but got pipped to the top by that Scottish lady in her R32.

Hope you get the car sorted for brands hatch.

I had a really good day out. Cant wait for round 3.

I saw you come in to the pits Paul. Looked like you where really going for it before that red flag. Thought it was you who nearly hit the streaker on the track that caused the red.

Steve came in early on the finals too what happened to him. He posted a good time tho but got pipped to the top by that Scottish lady in her R32.

Hope you get the car sorted for brands hatch.

I had a really good day out. Cant wait for round 3.

Yep, just winding it up for a quicker lap, shame I reckon I had another second to come out of the car approx. And yes, what the hell was that twat doing running across the track in front of me, I didn't let off the throttle though!

Steve ran out of fuel, he was running the car on thin air I think, light as possible, even went to the toilet before he went out :)

Ah bad luck Paul, I certainly hope the damage is a lot less than you expect.

If its any consolation I had my own girl out on track Friday and between your bushes, Chris' suspension and a 4.27 diff I was glued to the apex of evey corner (with some serious oversteer) and well up into triple figures at the end of the 500m start/finish straight.

Actually I know thats no consolation but I just had to tell somebody!

Best of luck with the tear-down.

Has anyone actually broke a standard one on here before though?

Yep, a couple of times but mainly down to old age I think as they were standard cars.

The guys in the US started using them as they had failures over 800hp.

I think I've got a few bent valves. Valve clearances were spot on, compression test was perfect but leak down test wasn't to good on cylinder 2 & 3 and the engine sounds a bit tappy from that area.

Going to drop a VVTi head off to my head guy tomorrow, time to go VVTi me thinks. Not the way I really wanted to do it but there you go.

I think I've got a few bent valves. Valve clearances were spot on, compression test was perfect but leak down test wasn't to good on cylinder 2 & 3 and the engine sounds a bit tappy from that area.

Going to drop a VVTi head off to my head guy tomorrow, time to go VVTi me thinks. Not the way I really wanted to do it but there you go.

Commiserations on the need to rebuild a head - but please keep us posted on the results of the VVTi flow bench! Am super keen to see, as I am planning to build mine sometime soon-ish.

Commiserations on the need to rebuild a head - but please keep us posted on the results of the VVTi flow bench! Am super keen to see, as I am planning to build mine sometime soon-ish.

Its a bit annoying yes, I really wanted to do a proper back to back test as the car is now and then VVTi but that obviously wont happen now. I haven't got a proper dyno run as the car stands now unfortunately.

Well, suppose we'll just have to be satisfied with the flowbench before/after on the VVTi head - and a rough correlation after tuning with previous dyno graphs. I would think that assuming the same dyno and tuner are used, that we'd see some decently comparable results regardless?

Well, suppose we'll just have to be satisfied with the flowbench before/after on the VVTi head - and a rough correlation after tuning with previous dyno graphs. I would think that assuming the same dyno and tuner are used, that we'd see some decently comparable results regardless?

I can take it to SRR but the only thing we'll see is if it improves low down bhp/torque/response.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for - improvement of low-end & mid-range over non-VVTi but without loss of top end.

I was hoping for improvements at the top end as well. I'm going with Titan 280 9.9mm lift cams and this will be the first engine to run them so it will be interesting to see what they do.

Also, got another customers car that is being mapped early next week by Ryan. Thats running Titan 272 9.3mm lift VVTi with one of my single gate manifolds and Borg Warner S366(91/79) turbo, really looking forward to seeing the results as there's never been any decent lift cams available for the VVTi before now.