Paul Whiffin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. We had a very successfull weekend at the 1st round of our 2010 Time Attack campaign, you can read all about it here http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=216410

The car itself performed very well with 4 seconds being knocked off the lap time from the previous year. The best part of the car is now the power delivery, the difference between this time last year and now is amazing.

At Oulton Park circuit last year I was having to use 2nd gear in some places creating wheel spin and unsettling the car with downshifts. This year I was only using 3rd and 4th gear, only having to downshift twice each lap which in turn makes it quicker on a lap. The car is so tractable now, pulling out of bends low down in 4th gear riding a tidle wave of torque, so a very good debut for our new twin wastegate manifold setup.

Suspension wise, definately noticed a difference with the Ikeya rose jointed suspension arms. When I had the alignment done at Wheels In Motion we managed to get 7 degrees of caster, the most we can normally get it is 4, this was down to the Ikeya front lower arms. This gave the steering a lot more weight and made the car felt very pointy, a bit to much as I found out early on the practise day with an enormous tank slapper! Made some adjustments to the low speed rebound on the rear and changed the tyre pressures on the front a bit and found a nice balance.

The worst part of the car was the brakes, having a soft pedal braking into druids wasn't the nicest of experiences! I will be given them an inspection this week to hopefully find the problem, dont want another repeat of this at the next round at Knockhill in a couple of weeks.

The worst part of the car was the brakes... I will be given them an inspection this week to hopefully find the problem, dont want another repeat of this at the next round at Knockhill in a couple of weeks.

Fair one!

All sounds great, Paul. Well done to you and the team!

Paul, what seats and subframes do you and Steve use, I have sold my Sparco Corsa and bride frames and looking for something else.

I currently use Recaro Pole Position, which are super comfortable and look good but let me move around a bit to much. Might be putting in some Cobra Evolution S in soon though I think http://www.cobraseats.com/evolutions.htm

Steve has Recaro Profi SPG's.

Paul which time attack track is your favorite when driving the supra.

Its a tough one that. I love Brands Hatch but it doesn't bring out the best in the Supras. Same with Oulton Park but I'm still learning that one! Haven't been to Cadwell Park yet and Knockhill I only did 8 laps in the wet last year before my turbo died.

Snetterton is my favourite at the moment I think. It suits the Supra really well, it has slow, medium and fast corners with 2 long straights for it to stretch its legs. Plus I really seem to be able to push the car to its limits around there, plenty of run off! I always come away from there knowing I got the most out of the car.