The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Road legal race car

Steve Sherwood

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for comments it's nice when people that know about cars appreciate your work. The car is jointly owned by me and my son adam he does most of the work I pay for most of the expensive bits. I did most of the engine build this time he did the body work and wiring.

The paint is Lamborghini arancio atlas 1995-2002

paint code: 4002m. We have not weighed it yet it should be around 1350-1400kg. Should be at Supra POD with drag sliks on but it will be more of a test day for us.

• 4 months later...

Got the car on the road at end of summer so is now road legal.had a list of changes to make after running it at supra pod.

The car had been on the dyno but never run down the road or track supra pod was first run out. It showed up a few problems as you would expect after a full re build.

Rear geometry needed work car wanted to go sideways when it broke traction. Its a lot better now rear camber is nil with 30min toe in this is for stright line grip mainly without totally ruining the handling. It will still need work I think the rear springs are a bit too stiff as we have taken so much weight off the back, tyre pressures still need sorting ended up at 10 psi in drag tyres and grip was getting better started at 12 psi.

Had to stop running at pod as throttle cable melted and jammed throttle, we used the boot release cable to make up a throttle cable but nylon liner was not heat resistant and melted jamming throttle. Have now replaced it with heat resistant cable.

Wheel speed sensors did not work, we had to remove original rear ABS sensors as they would not fit uprated drive shafts we also had to remove sensor mounting from hub. We had new rings made to fit new drive shafts and alloy mounting brackets for sensors. Ryan helped us out with advice on sensor gap and wiriing. We adjusted gap to 2mm and rewired with twisted pairs of wires. Solaris now reads the sensors so we should be ok with traction control and any other systems that require individual wheel speed sensors.

The fuel pumps are progressive and need a 0-5volt feed we had them controlled by the solaris 0-5v output via a map sensor when boost came in output went up. This worked ok but pumps blew fuses on start up. the pumps have their own 5v output and input wiring this set up includs prgressive start up so we re wired the pumps using this setup via a high/low output switch fuses are now ok.

Common rail nitrous looks good but having tested it I would not use this system on my engine. The first outlet gets most of the nitrous and it gets less as it progresses down the rail the last outlet gets almost none. Also the stainless pipe with alloy nuts tend to leak, the nuts onto the jets only have a few threads to hold them they strip before they seal. we changed to distribution blocks and braided hose its a temporary setup at the moment untill we can test it. The solarois could not run the solenoids as they draw way too much power, we will change the solenoids for hipower systems ones and use a highpower systems external controller.

The motor made 800ps @ the hubs on zero oxygen race fuel but would not make any more as boost went up past 2 bar. this was less than we hoped for. Having spoken to Ryan and Andy the dyno guy we came to the conclusion that the overlap on the cams was too long and the VVTi could not reduce it enough to prevent blow through. We had the exhaust cam set with 5 degrees of retard that gave more overlap we adjusted the exhaust cam to reduce the overlap untill we had 5 degrees of advance this gave much better power the turbo came in sooner and the motor made 790ps @ 1.8 bar 8500 rpm. I am confident that it will make 900ps on the turbo with oxygenated race fuel and over a 1000 with zero oxygen fuel and nitrous.

Hope to get a lot more use out of it next summer.

Supra2009 006.jpg

Supra2009 001.jpg

003.jpg

supra parts 001.jpg

supra parts 005.jpg

Are you going to enter the HKS drag series, seems a shame not to run the car properly. !!!;)

Not sure about the HKS series have to think about that. I want to do the straightliners top speed days, one aim is to top 200 mph. Trying to pesuade Adam to make a top speed day bumper with small opening. Would like to do a decent 1/4 mile time as well. If TOTB is on this year would like to have a go. In the past we have had a spot on road map but never a race map that worked we always had to change back to the road map on race day. The main aim is to have reliable race maps, with Ryan mapping the car and a Solaris ECU I am confident that we will get there.

Not sure about the HKS series have to think about that. I want to do the straightliners top speed days, one aim is to top 200 mph. Trying to pesuade Adam to make a top speed day bumper with small opening. Would like to do a decent 1/4 mile time as well. If TOTB is on this year would like to have a go. In the past we have had a spot on road map but never a race map that worked we always had to change back to the road map on race day. The main aim is to have reliable race maps, with Ryan mapping the car and a Solaris ECU I am confident that we will get there.

Well that way you get to run on a prepped track so less chance of any dramas half way down, there are 2 TOTB planned this year but only 1 will have top speed, you are welcome to come to Bruntingthorpe with us if you want and see what she will do, it should p##s 200mph dude you will not need other friont ends etc, my old car hit 211 with Dimitri mapping it and all we did was put race fuel in all the mirrors wipers etc were in place.

Well that way you get to run on a prepped track so less chance of any dramas half way down, there are 2 TOTB planned this year but only 1 will have top speed, you are welcome to come to Bruntingthorpe with us if you want and see what she will do, it should p##s 200mph dude you will not need other friont ends etc, my old car hit 211 with Dimitri mapping it and all we did was put race fuel in all the mirrors wipers etc were in place.

I'll have a look at the HKS series may have a go at it. Bruntingthorpe sounds good need to test the car at high speed.

Did not intend to use the car until spring don't know when all these things start.

I daren't think how much you have invested both time and money wise in that. Very nice indeed.

Thanks Chris its nice when people appreciate your work especially so when they're proffesionals. I could have bought a good second hand Bently continential GT or DB 9 for the money i've spent on it inthe time i've owned the car. I often question my sanity in putting that much money into a 1998 Toyota. I just wanted to build something to a high standard in my garden shed, time will tell if it was worth it.

The article you posted on drag racing setup was very interesting, one of the problems with taking weight out of a Supra is most of it comes out of the back. The info they gave on using ths cars inertia off the line to trasfer the weight from front to back was useful.