The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Road legal race car

Steve Sherwood

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can i ask is that a genuine top secret kit? thats the first top secret kit iv seen that matches the way the original top secret kit looks, spot on

Yes its a genuine top secret kit. We took moulds from the rear quaters and made new ones in thicker fibre glass, the originals are very thin and as they are bonded to the shell we did not want any cracking. we modifed the rear arch openings to take full size drag slicks and made the opening in the bumper larger to increase air flow through the rad.

Yes its a genuine top secret kit. We took moulds from the rear quaters and made new ones in thicker fibre glass, the originals are very thin and as they are bonded to the shell we did not want any cracking. we modifed the rear arch openings to take full size drag slicks and made the opening in the bumper larger to increase air flow through the rad.

seriously you can tell that kit is spot on good on you for going original. Iv seen replicas that look odd, yours my friend looks spot on like the original top secret:)

seriously you can tell that kit is spot on good on you for going original. Iv seen replicas that look odd, yours my friend looks spot on like the original top secret:)

I did buy a copy from an ebay trader the quality was so poor I complained to the credit card company and they stopped payment. The sellers eventually ceased trading.

I'll have a look at the HKS series may have a go at it. Bruntingthorpe sounds good need to test the car at high speed.

Did not intend to use the car until spring don't know when all these things start.

First HKS meet is March 21 then May 9th, go to the website for a list of rules etc, I will let you know when Bruntingthorpe is on dude and you can run it there for the day, we are also thinking about hiring the pod to get the car set up and will ahve some supras along to make up the numbers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Ryan has just finished the road map and traction control via ecu. We used BP ultimate fuel as Shell Vpower is not on sale in our area so power not as high, ultimate dosn't give as much power. The car now picks up very well and off boost and is quite smooth considering 1600 cc injectors. Turbo spools very well VVTi will make a big difference I think. Traction control and launch control both work well, it makes boost @ standsill with revlimit @ 4000. Should have race map done soon will be nice to see what it can do and how turobo spools with no restriction from wastegate

Scan10117.jpg

Scan10118.jpg

Ryan has just finished the road map and traction control via ecu. We used BP ultimate fuel as Shell Vpower is not on sale in our area so power not as high, ultimate dosn't give as much power. The car now picks up very well and off boost and is quite smooth considering 1600 cc injectors. Turbo spools very well VVTi will make a big difference I think. Traction control and launch control both work well, it makes boost @ standsill with revlimit @ 4000. Should have race map done soon will be nice to see what it can do and how turobo spools with no restriction from wastegate

Stronger wastegate spring and race fuel is going to be mental :)

Looking at the spool again you gotta love the VVTI system

We use HKS 264 VVTi inlet and 272 exhaust, I have had the cams for some time. HKS were the only ones on the market but I think Whifbitz can now supply some good uprated ones. We originally used a pair of 272 non VVTi cams modified to fit the VVTi head as no one had managed to build a program to run the Toyota VVTi at that time. We didn't know if the VVTi would make much difference @ high boost but I think it will.

We use HKS 264 VVTi inlet and 272 exhaust, I have had the cams for some time. HKS were the only ones on the market but I think Whifbitz can now supply some good uprated ones. We originally used a pair of 272 non VVTi cams modified to fit the VVTi head as no one had managed to build a program to run the Toyota VVTi at that time. We didn't know if the VVTi would make much difference @ high boost but I think it will.

Hi Steve,

I've got my 280 9.9mm lift VVTi cams arriving in the next week or so, put these in your car and you'll notice a massive difference everywhere. When I went from HKS 280 cams to Titan 280 cams I gained 20-30 bhp/torque plus 200-300rpm earlier spool up from just this alone. Going with the VVTi version of the 280 cams will obviously improve it all further, they will be available from stock to purchase in about 1 - 2 weeks approx.

• 4 weeks later...

Ryan finished the race fuel map today and at first we thought the results where below expectations. It made 818.9hp@ the hubs and 673.1 lb-ft torque, only around 30 hp more than @AET. I think the power is limited by the cams, the 264 HKS 264 VVTi cam does not have that much lift or duration. When you compare the two graphs there is a massive difference in spool up and power @ lower rpm, so in the real world the car will be much faster than before. Torque is up by 115.8 lb-ft and peaks at lower rpm. At AET it made 350hp @ 5000rpm today it made 650hp @ 5000, it makes around 800hp from 6500-8000rpm. The spread of power is very good it should pull well from much lower revs. AET DYNO RUN POOR SPOOL

Mail0059.JPG

Edited by Steve Sherwood
AET RUN (see edit history)

Boost was 2 bar I think, the turbo could give more boost but power did not go up so that is the limit the motor can flow with these cams. Its a balance between peak power and low spool. Its time to get the car to the track and run it, sort out launch and getting the power down engine play time is over for now.

Boost was 2 bar I think, the turbo could give more boost but power did not go up so that is the limit the motor can flow with these cams. Its a balance between peak power and low spool. Its time to get the car to the track and run it, sort out launch and getting the power down engine play time is over for now.

Its an impressive graph Steve, at 5000rpm you are 80bhp infront of my tdi graph, did you do any mapping with the nitrous on?

This a serious machine now, you should do some blinding times, cant wait to see it run:cool: