The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lui's Single Turbo build

lui

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Lui :) Had to laugh at the "answering all Lui's questions" comment hehe your enthusiasm knows no bounds :cool:

Ryan - I see you nailed the AFRs at the transition point in the end, I knew you would :) How did you find the EMU? Did you use my base map in the end or start from scratch?

I'm a bit surprised that the power started to tail off at about 6200rpm with the 264's in, any thoughts on that?

-Ian

Hi Ian

Yh used Charlie’s map as a base and it helped lots with the scaling you used as really enables you to get the fueling at that point spot on. Having the use of the dyno also helped as could load cell hold it at the points it liked to go lean and then trim the fueling to suit.

Have done about 6 EMU’s now and they are easily the best piggyback unit available, having looked at others like the map ecu 2 it does really come into it’s own being able to trim the fueling without affecting the airflow which changes timing as well as fueling.

Yh the power tailing off also surprised me as well with the 264 cams at first, adding timing at the top didn’t change it as well. When viewing the road speed vs tractive effort you could see it wasn't gaining any speed at this point so was like the Autobox was getting ready to change and creating a soft limiter. Dont forget the rpm is most likely wrong as we couldn't hold it in gear to teach the rpm without the manual mode. Might be the TC slipping also. After this we decided to leave it there as worried about the box.

Still worry about the fueling changing about abit with the EMU on boost which is why I also like to keep them abit richer and luckily lui’s prefered that. But have to say you can get the fueling pretty linear with the EMU as you can see on the prints.

Good to see you around though pal

Ryan

Just fitted my Brembo 20 groove 3G rear disc tonight courtesy of Gaz @Envy for supplying them great fit & new pads only took 1.5 hr to fit looks great & now matches my front discs ;)

Sorry for poor quality of pics only had crap camera phone on me :(

Was meaning to go single long time go when had engine re-build with Mark @ Phoenix due to cost & having good deal with set of hybrids at time decided to go hybrid route was please with it at time till done 5,000 miles & hybrid's had seals going back in august to be honest thought they would have lasted much longer.

Then car went to James at ToyotaGT to have them stripped out & fixed under warranty thanks to Gaz @Envy for sorting them out.

While car was stripped down turbo side had great offer by another member to buy my hybrids / injectors + resistor pack that could not refused then decided time to go single.

Done my research on choice of kit to go for & decided on the PHR Street Single Kit.

As my car was already fully BPU'ed with all quality goods did not need much to get turbo kit supplied by Joe at PHR / set of 650 PE injectors + few others small bit's & bobs here & there.

Was so impressed with all work carried out by James@ToyotaGt 10/10 for all they done could not ask for a better install well done guy's not one drop of water / oil leak no hoses popping off there really took 100% care of my car throughout duration of it being there.

Finally picked up my car in November & just driving it off boost for mot + new tyres & blistien shocks fitted.

Then it come to mapping session with the magical man Ryan G & Charlie@SRR & after 1 hour of fiddling with laptop & settings they totally transformed my Supra into a animal with very big wow factor could not ask for better kit to be fitted I am now one very happy person car goes like a rocket & sounds like a euro fighter with after burners switch on :eyebrows: Great unbelievable power, Superb Torque factor, Perfect AFR's, low EGT's & no lag at ALL

Well clocked up 300 miles now since conversion has been done & all I can say is WOW !!! what a difference another one of the best mods that I have done & highly recommend kit & everyone that has worked on my supra can't say enough thanks to you all.

Best bit of drive so far was going through Hatfield tunnel on boost 500+ BHP / Blitz Nur Spec-R double 3" de-catted roaring away / wastegate screaming a sound I will never forget.

The missus had said she will never go it my supra again due to non stop attention & AWESOME power + sounds it has now :D:d:d

One thing i suggest to you all if thinking iof going single is to do all your pre-checks to make sure engine is fine don't cut corners on parts & you won't be disappointed of the end results just puts big smile on my face every time I'm in it now to beyond believe.

And make sure you have a decent fitter & mapper too!!!

Have look in my garage for full set up of what i have to reach this awesome street powerfull car that not many cars out there now will have no chance

My Supra is just a AWESOME street car now with no lag at all & loving it.

Will keep you all updated of how she running with 1000 miles clocked up.

Also looking forward to see what I get on full tank of full & if better on consumption than twin set up but not in one way bothered as everything well worth it if it only done 100 to tank full.

Just new set of wheels & custom seats to do now.

Edited by lui (see edit history)

Been reading with interest Lui:)

I am hoping by this time next year i will be single as well, im trying to use good quality parts and thinking about the little details as i go along:D

Yours, Jamie's and the other threads have/will be invalueable...

Great car and i hope to get i test ride in it next year;)

J

well you have convinced me to go single route mate! already in saving and planning to start work in new year and have mine back ready for japfest!

You wont be disappointed Lee mate just don't cut corners on parts for install & make sure your engine you getting has all necessary test done to be up for it & nice to see ToyotaGt going to do install.

Been reading with interest Lui:)

I am hoping by this time next year i will be single as well, im trying to use good quality parts and thinking about the little details as i go along:D

Yours, Jamie's and the other threads have/will be invaluable...

Great car and i hope to get i test ride in it next year;)

J

This kit is now always putting a smile on my face ;)

Nice writing Lui.

Your thread will be really helpful for people struggling with their single route decision. ;)

Regarding the fuel consumption, I do around 300mls with on tank ... without driving on full throttle all the time (... however often) :D

Always nice to get good picture thread on the go with the help of James@ToyotaGT for doing a fantastic install not one fault & Ryan G with his magical mapping skills :eyebrows:

• 3 weeks later...
Lui judging by your reaction, the single turbo is a vast improvement over hybrid route (which I was thinking of taking a bit later on).

Also - are you still on the auto box - did you need to do any mods to that if so?

Just loving the single highly recommend PHR Street Single kit & still on auto box all running fine just added a Mocal decent 19 row cooler to keep temps down

Just loving the single highly recommend PHR Street Single kit & still on auto box all running fine just added a Mocal decent 19 row cooler to keep temps down

Your thread has inspired me to seriously consider this kit, is there anything you wished you had done different?

IanC- on the cams, how much difference would JDM/JDM or JDM/UKex or 256's make to Lui's torque and power curves?

Your thread has inspired me to seriously consider this kit, is there anything you wished you had done different?

IanC- on the cams, how much difference would JDM/JDM or JDM/UKex or 256's make to Lui's torque and power curves?

Cheers mate,

Your answer is no very pleased with all that is done & as for getting pure results on torque curve with cams had trouble keeping it 3rd gear on rollers due to man switch on gearbox intermittent so could not lock in 3rd gear but then finished it off on the road & now VERY VERY impressed & Supra is VERY quick no lag at all with the performance IMO no more needed for road use very happy with set up & power as it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Good feedback Lui and thanks for the call on Thursday.

Two questions for you:

- how are you finding the 3G brakes? are they better (more hard wearing) than toyota ones?

- the heatsheild you use in your engine bay (behind the turbo) where did you get that from?

many thanks

Good feedback Lui and thanks for the call on Thursday.

Two questions for you:

- how are you finding the 3G brakes? are they better (more hard wearing) than toyota ones?

- the heatshield you use in your engine bay (behind the turbo) where did you get that from?

many thanks

Hi imi mate,

I presume Brembo 3G brakes are much better than stock one's but to be honest im not of one of these drivers to keep at speeds & braking very late.

With heat shield stuff pm Heckler as he gave me some spare of what he had.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this :) All that waiting to be told "I don't know" haha

I'm a big fan of the 256/264 combo and the 264/264 does good things as well. The difference above 5500rpm is highly noticeable, and the difference at the low end isn't. No dyno tests to back this up though, it's all arse-dyno :)

-Ian

1000 Miles done now since conversion & loving it not one problem so far except small wiring issue to injector but hopefully all solved now + once again cannot thanks James@ToyotaGT & there team for doing great install & Joe@PHR USA for doing us great deal on there PHR Street Single Kit.

• 3 months later...

Well 3000 miles has now passed since doing single conversion so went of to James@ToyotaGt for oil filter change & whilst up there quick check over all is 100% fine & so pleased with what they have done never stops putting a smile on my face every time driving behind the wheel highly recommend PHR Street Single Kit once driven would never want to go back to twins, power & sounds are just AWESOME !!!

Well done all once again James & his merry men @ToyotaGT for turning my supra into a powerful beast & doing a great not one problem install.