The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the above job is done I'll install my new clutch and brake pedal. Hopefully that will be fairly straight forward and if all goes well I may even get to tackle the rear driveshaft and diff before I go back to work on sunday. As always I'll keep you all posted.

Just in case you'd not realised already do the clutch pedal while the dash is off and the steering column partially out of the way, it's a pig to get to the bolts otherwise. Not a difficult job though, but you will need a large drill bit to cut the hole out for the pusrod and securing brackets, thanksfully the shape and position is stamped into the firewall for you.. thoughtfull lot those Toyota fellas.

Yeah thats the plan, do the in car mods then move to the interesting bits. Thanks for the info. I have a little guide too that I found on the mkiv.com site. All the trim will be the last thing I put back as I don't want to ruin Vince's handywork.

I was replacing the heater assembly today and when I got to the crash bar I noticed a small, silver retainer type bar that I recall goes above the steering column and underneath the crash bar. However, I can't seem to see how it fits (or remember from yesterday!). Does anyone know off hand or have a pic of this area? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ed, loving this build and have a small question for you, what will/have you done about a tacho? as bebop used new dials? Keep up the fantastic work Tee

Eric's dials are great and it wasn't until I saw them that I thought what a great idea. However, I had already got my dash covered in rather pricey alcantara, so I'll be sticking with the standard setup for now.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of progress since last post.

Diff has been removed to be replaced with a cleaned up and painted 6 speed item. Rear left driveshaft removed to be replaced with new item, to match up to diff. See my for sale thread if you need some n/a spares. I had to order some new top support mounts as the ones on the car were shot. These should arrive tomorrow or saturday, so the job can be finished then.

2uz starter motor has been tested and works fine, so this is in the process of being cleaned up and painted/polished, as you will be able to see it clearly through the custom intake manifold.

Clutch and bearing headache still ongoing as I'm waiting for a spacer plate to fit between the flywheel and new clutch back plate. One arrived today but was wrong type :rolleyes: I'll get some pics of me building the flywheel/clutch up on the engine when the time eventually comes. It will explain things a bit better than my waffle.

Vince is nearly done with the seats so I'll also get some pics up of those when collected. They look great!

Oh, and the coil pack connector should arrive tomorrow so I can see if it fits. If so, I order 7 more and will be that bit nearer to getting my bespoke loom made up.

Cheers, Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another set back.

Installed the diff the other day but when fitting the driveshaft, I found that two of the bolt hole threads for the side gear shaft are knackered, on the right side (see pics). I'm wondering if I would be able to recut the threads without removing the gear shaft, what do you think? If not and it needs replacing, does anyone know if the side gear shafts are the same for the 6 speed as for the n/a. I have a spare n/a diff you see. I know I'll need a new c clip, oil seal etc, as I've just consulted the supra manual.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Side gear shaft.jpg

Side gear shaft 2.jpg

Since the diff is causing me problems, I turned my attention back to the release bearing issue, now that I have some extra parts.

First, I installed the flywheel and clutch to the engine, using these extra spacer parts, so that everything mounts up flush. I'll need some longer bolts when I finally come to fit it for good, but for the purpose of this exercise a couple I had would suffice to fix it temporarily. After some jigging around with various hoists and jacks I managed to mount the gearbox to the engine. Success!

Then, I carefully wrapped a cable tie around the input shaft where it meets the clutch fingers. This would allow me to measure the distance from the gearbox bellhousing face to the clutch fingers (81mm). Now I can calculate the thickness of the retainer plate that I need to be made up, in order to fix the bearing assembly in place. I just subtract the overall height of the assembly plus the working clearance, from the above figure of 81mm - confused yet? I was untill I called CW a few weeks ago, but its rather straight forward when one is doing it. I'll get some pics up soon to help explain. Hopefully the engineering place recommended by JamieP will be open tomorrow so I can take the measurements down to them.

Also, I got my coil pack connectors and repair wiring. Just need the other connectors now, which Steve Manley (Oxford Toyota) is sourcing for me. He's been really helpfull actually, can't recommend him enough for your oem parts.

More as and when it happens.

Nope. I'm being persistent trying to get this one to fit, as it was supplied to me. The one you have looks a little easier to fit as it appears to have mounting points on the assembly itself. Did you still have to get a plate turned for this to sit onto? Looks very well fixed.

img-52-0-large.jpg

Yeah thats a much more straight forward solution. Like I say, if 'd chosen the bearing myself I would have gone for the one you have. Much less headache, and I expect the engine and 'box would be in the car by now. Ah well, its a challenge.

On a side note, I may have a chap locally that can re-cut those threads we spoke about. However, if no joy I'll send you the part. Cheers.