The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

Quick update.

Finally got around to removing the engine and transmission yesterday. With the aid of my father, we had no trouble at all getting them out of the car. Didn't bother draining the 'box or splitting the units, and was very surprised how easy the job was in the end.

Next on the list is to get the car ready for painting, so need to remove the rear 1/4 glass and some other little bits and bobs. Then get onto GVN to book her in, hopefully this week.

Managed to get hold of a 6 speed diff from Paul at Whifbitz, cheers mate, so the only major parts left to get are the prop and o/s rear driveshaft. May get those new, but won't need them for a while as they'll be one of the last jobs I tackle.

Some pics, sorry about the geeky one of me.

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one. Toyota did a good job with that colour, although I'm having thoughts of a different one, now that I've been looking. Typical :rolleyes:

Yours wouldn't happen to be a silver grey colour, would it? I like your wheels if its the one I saw yesterday.

Might as well do a quick update while I'm here.

As you can tell, the car has gone to GVN (or G and N, I believe it is now), for an overhaul of the paint and some minor jobs. Removing aerial and filling the hole left, removal of rain guard things as one is cracked, de-badging, fixing the sill, new doortrims/seals, and fitting of zunsport grille. Left the rear wiper on as decided its quite handy in the winter.

Colour may be changing if they can find the formula that I want, but this is gonna stay a surprise for now :p

Picked up my brand spanking new getrag v160 from the docks last week, and the engine is finally ready to ship (thanks Eric :thumbs:), as you'll know if you've been following the sister thread. I expect the paint shop will have the car for a fair few weeks so its waiting time again, and when I get her back I should have all the rest of the parts for the manual conversion.

I really feel like I'm getting somewhere now, and I know I'll feel even better once she's painted.

Some pics.

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

i remember when i said i was going to do this swap that people laughed and said that "if it was that easy dont you think we would of all done it". are you following the same swap as thor racing did. thats the one im going for, the sc400 4.0l v8. are you doing all the work yaself, i look forward to seeing the fabrication for the engine mounts and if all is succesfull will be email you next summer with some advice questions if thats ok?

The early 1uz is the distributor driven old design toyota V8. It's been in service in the SC400 from 92-97. In 1998, toyota revamped the V8 and completely changed the head design. The ports are much more conducive to making HP on the new V8, and the coil on plug configuration changes the game. Also the valves are larger on the new V8's.

Here's a quick look at the differences between the models. There are more intricate differences but this will give a good overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UZ_engine

No problem fruity. Eric is the man when it comes to the technical side, he's the guy who has built my engine. At the beginning if this thread there's a link to engine build thread.

Once the engine arrives here I'll be doing the installation myself, but I will probably entrust the new loom fabrication to Thor racing. I'm not that good at electrical stuff and ecu's. All progress will be put on this thread and yes any more info you want just pm me.

• 2 weeks later...

Few more bits came in at the end of last week, all from Steve Manley at Inchcape Toyota. Thanks to him.

New 6 speed propshaft and rear driveshaft.

New heater matrix (as dash is off, thought I'd replace it).

New door trims.

Also, I had to order some replica oem side skirts, as my drivers side one was beyond repair. Thanks to Paul at Whifbitz.

Last time I was at G and N, the preparation for painting was well underway. Ariel hole and de-badging had been done and Jarad was busy at work sanding. Chose the colour at last, and have gone for a similar brown colour to the toyota one, except its slightly reddish and picks up the light better. Its a lambo colour and was created for a special edition VT diablo. Lambo made 42 of these 'VT 6.0SE' cars and painted 21 in gold, and 21 in this brown colour. Here's a pic of it. I think it will look great on the supra.

2001-lamborghini-diablo-v-9_1600x0w.jpg

...Chose the colour at last, and have gone for a similar brown colour to the toyota one, except its slightly reddish and picks up the light better. Its a lambo colour and was created for a special edition VT diablo. Lambo made 42 of these 'VT 6.0SE' cars and painted 21 in gold, and 21 in this brown colour. Here's a pic of it. I think it will look great on the supra.

That's a lovely colour!!

It seems to be coming together. So much to think about, the project has turned into a full rebuild really. I never intended for it to go this far, I just wanted some more power and a manual transmission. Still, hopefully I'll just be able to relax and enjoy it once finished, without the need to upgrade anything (yeah, like our cars are ever finished, eh?).

Forgot to mention, the interior bits should be ready for collection at the weekend and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how thats turned out. I'll post some pics as soon as I have them.

Called the body shop today to advise of the side skirts being delivered soon, and Gerald tells me the car has some colour on it. Couldn't resist popping in on the way home from work. Well, I can say with some assurance that the colour is stunning. Plus, there is more work to do on the finish. I'd be happy the way it is now so I think the final quality of the job will make me speechless. The pics are taken on my camera phone so not great quality. I'm going back tomorrow, so will take my Nikon. :D

Painted drivers side.jpg

Painted offside.jpg

Painted rear.jpg

Painted door.jpg

Painted close up.jpg