My VVTI GT35R Single Conversion

MarkR

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just caught up with this since the respray, love the combo of parts of the kit, it looks well cool, love the TS rear spoiler, I feel you may have started a trend here :)

Thanks :) Always nice to get compliments from someone with a great looking car. I think I may be the first in the UK with this rear spoiler and I'm very happy with it. It looks great in real life, especially from behind! :D It's also lighter which is always nice.

That's exactly what I need. I guess it'd add a bit of length to the exhaust though. How thick was it? Looks to be about 2" ? Did you need to adjust the exhaust mounts?

It did add a little bit. The part was about 3" long, but the exhaust tip never stuck out an extra 3". I never had to adjust anything, though v-bands helped quite a bit :)

Love it:D

A bit louder that my Apexi GT.....should sound even better when i finish my Single...lol

How long to you have yours finished now?

I'm still trying to find a 6 speed box at a reasonable price. I'm not going to get raped for one.... ;) Once I have that it'll be fairly quick as I have all the parts already (except clutch)

Edited by MarkR (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Quick small updated. Source a 6-speed conversion, so should be full steam ahead soon. I'd hate to be hanging around like Rob Sheffield for ages ;)

Anyone got any suggestions on which bits to replace from the conversion as a matter of course? Things that eventually need replacing anyway?

(No offence Rob......)

Right, so my 6 speed conversion has been arranged and paid for. Looking to replace a few bits while I'm in there to keep it reliable. Homer recommended changing the front and rear seals on the box and also the selector seal on the rear. All the bearings and rings for the clutch. For the rear diff the 3 main oil seals.

Any other input would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

My mate picked up my 6 speed conversion from Keron today. I will be taking it over on Saturday to install it. Then a few days driving to make sure the box is okay, and then the single install.

And so it begins..........................

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

Had a few issues. The propshaft was the wrong length. The rear section fitted the auto diff (slightly longer prop), but I had the manual diff installed. We're now swapping the manual diff to an auto torsen until I can get another propshaft. My original diff was A02A (not torsen).

The clutch also won't last long, so busy deciding on which new one to get. I'd like something almost as light underfoot as the standard clutch but with good life and power holding. Probably go with Exedy Twin/RPS twin (steel or carbon, undecided). Might also get TRD gearbox mounts.

Speed Sensor issues. The tiptronic box has 2 speed sensors (2wires each), and the 6 speed has one 3 wire sensor. Not sure what to do with this so any help would be great. The reverse light works :cool:

I drove it on Wednesday night (with a few brackets etc to get around diff issues) and it felt good. The box is in good condition so that's a plus. Obviously the speedo wasn't working during the test.

I also now need a facelift 6 speed dash panel as I currently have a pre-facelift panel, and a nice subtle looking gearknob.

Just back from driving it as a manual............. What a difference.

I'm torn. I prefered the auto/tiptronic box in terms of smooth power delivery, but the manual is more fun. I keep forgetting to change up though (as I'm used to the box doing it itself) and bounced off the limiter a few times :( Doesn't help that I have no speedo and the rev counter is reading wrong as the speed sensor is not yet connected. Red line comes at 5.5k but I'm sure it's actually revving higher. I also seem to have disconnected the boost controller, so I'm currently at 0.7 bar as I put the front cat back on after selling the decat and the RR is still in.

My missus has been driving in the car with me for 4 years. Now suddenly she's worried about me killing myself as she thinks it feels much faster. Maybe because I'm running the auto diff and the gears are quite short.

Anyway, still a little shaky from the adrenaline but loved it. 2 weeks on manual to sort out speed sensors and any other niggles and then I'll go single. Probably drop it in after I leave Brands Hatch on the 28th.

Quick small updated. Source a 6-speed conversion, so should be full steam ahead soon. I'd hate to be hanging around like Rob Sheffield for ages ;)

Anyone got any suggestions on which bits to replace from the conversion as a matter of course? Things that eventually need replacing anyway?

(No offence Rob......)

Only just seen that.

Although its taken me ages, i was never in any rush, and wanted things to be perfect. Could have finished it within about 6 months but i would only have been replacing things for months after so saw no point. Changing spec a few times didnt help, neither did working outside in the cold!

If i did it again there are things i would change, and many things iv learnt along the way, and now in the closing stages its all been worthwhile :)

However, with that said yours is a very nice car, will keep an eye on the thread.

Hi Rob,

I was in no way saying it wasn't the right way, and it wasn't meant to be a dig. I'd just read your thread when I posted that and realised that I've been collecting parts for over a year too without even realising how the time flew!

I think what you have done is completely awesome. I hope you didn't take my flippant comment the wrong way. I wasn't trying to offend you.

Thanks for the compliment (and helping out last week with the parts).