MarkR

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question: I've never seen one of these GT35R/HKS Manifold kits in the flesh and I was wondering how far back the downpipe goes? I know the answer is probably in the name, but I need to know if I'll still need the 2nd decat pipe I currently use, or would I need to buy/fabricate another? IIRC the one I have in is a 2.5" pipe, so I'm guessing I'd need to pop a 3" replacement in? Can you get aftermarket 3" pipes that join the downpipe to the cat back exhaust, or would I need something made to fit?

Thanks

you should be able to get a 3inch Midpipe, and if its a big name DP then most of the Jap brands should do

I defo wouldnt retain the 2.5MP

It's the HKS turbo kit, but with a GT35R turbo, so the DP would be HKS. The cat back is the RSR ExMag GTII (Knightrider has the same exhaust and turbo but custom manifold) (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1842)

What Midpipe (thanks for providing the correct name ;) ) are you using?

PS: I've always wondered, what is a bolarbag?

He is a God that communicates through me:d

A name that some kid came out with many years ago(probably on drugs) that just stuck;)

I'm using the Full-Race Midpipe, its 4inch and mates up to the FR DP and my HKS Ti quite nicely,

I'm pretty sure a HKS/GReddy/Blitz MP would mate up to your CatBack, it should be pretty easy to get one made up but its probably cheaper to just buy one off the shelf

The HKS downpipe fits to a standard 2nd decat pipe, so you are able to fit the second cat back come MOT time.

Cheers Nic

That's handy to know (except that my 2nd cat was in such a bad way that the car failed the MOT last time at BPU with only the 2nd one in, so had to pop the 1st one back in). Annoying :(

good luck with the build..i will be keeping an eye on this thread as iv bought the same kit from Nic (GT35R) with the PE650 injectors and the AEM EMS, so hopefully you will have all the answers to any problems i will have!!!

I think the answer to all problems in the case of singles is.... throw more money at it :) Do you have VVTI? If not, then I think you'll have an easier time. Are you auto or manual?

EDIT: Just looked at your garage: Manual... even easier :) Are you getting Ryan to map it?

ya im manual, so hopefully life will be a bit easier. im in Ireland so hopefully ill get Ryan to map it, he said he does visit Northern Ireland every few months for a few days mapping so i would like to time it with him.. just getting excited now for the bits to arrive.

i had an idea on a budget but there are alot of bits and pieces so i have stopped checking!!

I think Nic said he should have all my parts with him this week, so mine will be arriving soon. Still need to get an oil cooler, and I'm 99% sure I have a manual conversion lined up and waiting, so it's getting close to crunch time. Still undecided on ECU...

For the way you can control boost alone id go with the solaris

what is it that solaris does that can't be mapped in on the aem/motec e.t.c?

Gear dependant boost has been about for ages, I've not looked at the aem software in a while but can't you declare boost control using boost/rpm(or wheelspeed)/load?

Gear dependant boost has been about for ages, I've not looked at the aem software in a while but can't you declare boost control using boost/rpm(or wheelspeed)/load?

As far as im aware the solaris adjusts the boost to keep it at what its set to, with the aem i was forever having boost control issues,

Gear dependent boost is handy aswell, i was not aware the aem could do this?

Ah ok, you mean it controls boost more accurately then it may well do, but the difference between a working aem and a solaris shouldnt be that great, again, your WG and solenoid would have been further variables to consider on your last car

I'm hoping my Boost Control should be spot on:cool:

Major problems with distribution, struggled to find a good welder(end up one of my best mates is a cracking welder), wrong parts, broken parts on arrival, my own anal spec the list goes on, the majority of parts are here, but some key parts need returned and can't really go any further until their sorted

The engine has to come out this weekend to respray the engine bay, so I'm still advancing in the face of problems - albeit slowly

The Exhaust side of things fit nicely, its quite a sight:cool:, although its quite a greedy manifold in terms of space

I didnt want it to be one of those threads that lasted centuries, I personally dont have the patience to follow them so be hypocritical to do my own - and thank god I never - parts buying and sourcing has been a minefield

I will start a build thread soon, if not to confirm where I'm at to give my supplier a kick up the **** to get things going!;)

I'm using a Full-Race Gen2 T4 Manifold, FR DP/MP combo, twin 44mm WG's, HKS 264/264's, GT35R .82A/R

The tubby may be changed pretty quickly as I reckon I will gain similar response with a Turbo with a divided housing but the GT35R will do for now,

The AEM boost control works well when setup properly, but it only has speed based boost control with a high low switch.

The Solaris has gear based boost control with feedback which can also be modified with an 8 position calibration switch, in theory you could have 6 boost settings times 8 although in reality you wouldnt use this many.

Not on the AEM, with the AEM the wastegate duty is mapped via RPM vs LOAD, with feedback enabled you can then configure a target boost level against road speed, this works well as mine was setup like this.