My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are yuo going to get rid of the AC altogether mate? If you pull the compressor off will you weight it please? :)

It needs to be removed for the engine install so will weigh it for you. At a rough guess I'd say it's about 8-10kg. I want to retain the AC, so will probably reuse the compressor on the Corvette engine

When you've finished can you build me a car please?

Lets see if this one doesn't end up a masive fireball on first startup :D

Oh and I forget to mention that I sold some parts from the car that weren't needed so the build cost now stands at:

£374.98 :D

now this makes the £10 membership fee per year seem very good value if it gets discounts like this....:D Fair play mate!!

It needs to be removed for the engine install so will weigh it for you. At a rough guess I'd say it's about 8-10kg. I want to retain the AC, so will probably reuse the compressor on the Corvette engine

Cheers matey - it would be interesting to confirm the weight as everyone says "air con weighs LOTS".... but how much is lots? 10kg is less than I thought. :)

Cheers matey - it would be interesting to confirm the weight as everyone says "air con weighs LOTS".... but how much is lots? 10kg is less than I thought. :)

The total system will be a lot more. There's a few heavy duty pipes involved and the AC rad itself. 20-25 kg for the lot probably isn't far off, thats a lot of weight to lose from a car, especially from from the front :)

The total system will be a lot more. There's a few heavy duty pipes involved and the AC rad itself. 20-25 kg for the lot probably isn't far off, thats a lot of weight to lose from a car, especially from from the front :)

Doh! :(

Oh well If I tell myself it won't make any difference to lap times, I can ignore your last post. :innocent:

You what? The 2JZ is 185kg heavier than a LSx engine?

sorry i meant pounds...

old school chevy

575 Pounds = 260.81561 Kilograms...all iron block and heads sbc

525 Pounds = 238.13599 Kilograms...all iron block with ali heads sbc

500 pounds = 227 kilograms...all iron block with ali heads/intake and carb

new school supra

311 kgs= 685 pounds supra 2jz

311kg!!! Is that including the box?

Where did you get the figures from? I keep finding 233.

Given that a BMW S54 engine (alloy head, iron block) is 210kg the 2JZ isn't going to be much heavier with the turbos, pipework and intercooler.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not had much time to work on the car recently (work commitments, car crash, house refurb, etc), so have mostly just been collecting parts.

The final bit of cabin wiring is now finished. For some reason wiring for the front seat had been cut off (possibly related to the interior fire Dude had a few years ago, you can see where the carpet padding melted in the pic). This was replaced from a spare loom. (1st pic)

Wez supplied a stock black carpet at a fantasic price, so fitted this. It was the easiest job yet on this car! (2nd pic)

Refitted seats, albeit temporarily (3rd pic)

Dash panels are purchased now, picking them up at Japfest. Also found a replacement set of sunvisors and a rear view mirror, so not only need to source the two trim bits along each door and thats the cabin finished.

Also thanks to Suprasuzuki for dropping off a full set of brakes on Friday

I'm also reconsidering the engine choice... I'm seriously tempted to purcahse a much cheaper, lower power carb engine similar to that used by rxv8 on his conversion (Who has been a great help finding some nicely priced motors!). It'd mean only about 300bhp, but I'm not that interested in out right power during the first phase of the conversion... decisions, decisions!

Total spent so far: £504.98

oImage045.jpg

oImage046.jpg

oImage047.jpg