My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spent the afternoon at QSD Performance Spares & Silverstone garage getting nearly all the remaining parts for the car.

First of all I would like to say a HUGE thanks to Jezz for spending the entire afternoon removing all the parts. Not only did he give up his afternoon, but the price for the parts make me feel like I'd stolen them :D Top bloke :thumbs:

List of parts picked up today:

- Drivers door card

- Drivers window regulator and mechanism

- Door speaker pods

- Rear seat bolts

- Both complete rear hubs

- Rear lower suspension arms

- Upper rear suspension arm

- Front and rear brake discs

- Large plastic boot door panel

- Upper dash panel, including wanring modules

- Steering column plastic covers

- Instrument cluster

- Heater controls, dimmer switch, mirror swictyhes & lighter

- Stereo cage

- Ashtray

- Front brake lines

- Bonnet catch

- Centre console

- PAS full cooling pipework

- Fuel pump hanger & fuel pump

- Lower rad mounts

- Expansion bottle and pipework

- Bonnet washer jets and lines

- Various fuses and relays

- And all the grommets needed and a ton of screws & bolts!

So, now only need to source:

- Front calipers

- Clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder

- Aerotop pillar panel

- Wing mirrors

The total spend so far is £369.98

Got my eye on this as i would like to upgrade my brakes very soon.

Weekend of losts of fitting up. Someone is going to be tired on monday.

Great, your front ones are UK spec right? Would be interested for sure, keep in mine the scrooge budget :D

Was going through an old copy of jtuner the other day and found a pic of the car with Dude driving from totb3

:cool: Thats a nice pic of it Bromy, thanks mate :thumbs:

Hopefully it'll be back on the drag strip next year, but there's little chance of it doing any more 10s quarter miles :(

I've got a video of Dude Vs Leon (who he?) at Shakespeare County Raceway (I think!), if anyone wants it? I suspect a few willhave it as it was posted up here many moons ago. 10.927s @132.48mph he posts.

I never got to meet the ledgend himself, he erm... 'left'.... just as I was joining. :(

Darryl, which 6 Spd are you using, the Supra one or a GM one?

The "plan" is for a T56 GM transmission from a Corvette (amoung others!)

I've got a video of Dude Vs Leon (who he?) at Shakespeare County Raceway (I think!), if anyone wants it? I suspect a few willhave it as it was posted up here many moons ago.

Yeah, I have that vid here Steve, I'm sure it's posted here somewhere! Might youtube it if I can't find it. Was it the one where he ran a 10.9?

Yeah, I have that vid here Steve, I'm sure it's posted here somewhere! Might youtube it if I can't find it. Was it the one where he ran a 10.9?

That's the one - just edited the post after I watched the vid again. Makes me smile every time, I love the noise when he backs off after the burnout. :)

Makes sense. GM engine, GM box :)

That and a LOT cheaper :D

TBH, the main reason is the ready availabilty of the bellhousings for the T56, it make is possible to mount pretty much any GM V8 to one. Getting a GM motor to getrag housing would mean some major work and expense. I also believe the GM box is much smoother, though not as strong as the V160

That's the one - just edited the post after I watched the vid again. Makes me smile every time, I love the noise when he backs off after the burnout. :)

Edit - thats compressor stall, your new car will probably do it a fair bit. It sounds good, I never got tired of it :D

That and a LOT cheaper :D

TBH, the main reason is the ready availabilty of the bellhousings for the T56, it make is possible to mount pretty much any GM V8 to one. Getting a GM motor to getrag housing would mean some major work and expense. I also believe the GM box is much smoother, though not as strong as the V160

the t56 box is easily as strong as the v160...:tongue:

Another little update as a few minor jobs were completed today.

Nearly finished the door (still think I am missing a window stabilzer whatever that is!) but the window is in and works, handles fitted and door latch is installed. Also alligned the door a little better. Door card has been added back in for now.

Also removed the Clifford alarm components from the rear door card, fitted the steering column surrounds, instrument cluster (from a UK manual), floor bungs, stereo cage, heater contol unit, upper dash panel and temporarily fitted the new centre console.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3593/interiorupdatehc3.th.jpg

oh and washer jets fitted, but am still missing a bit of the line to connect them up correctly

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2484/interiorupdate2nz9.th.jpg

Also added the fuel pump and hanger, removed the dual batteries and their (very heavy!) wiring, added in a new hanger cover and gave i a bit of a clean. Still needs a proper going over and some anti-rust in the wheel well area. It seems water has got into the boot over the past few years and some surface rust has appeared in the well. It's pretty minor, but will try and sort this out in the next few days.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5370/bootupdatecp9.th.jpg

Fully secured the spoiler this time round :innocent:

Does adding a bung to the already missing wiper count as 'rear wiper removal'? :D

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3733/hatchupdatevc8.th.jpg

Made a start on the engine bay clean up. Replaced the damaged front brake lines, removed all the NO2 lines and solenoids, removed most of the CO2 lines and solenoid, removed a some of the aftermarket battery wiring, removed the remains of the alarm, refitted the fuse box (inc missing relays and fuses), changed the box tops for stock ones, removed a whole load of fixings & holders for the wiring loom, plus a load of other little bits. Still need to start figuring out the engine wiring loom so see what needs to be retained (if anything), then get rid of that.

The pic below is at a half way stage, I forgot to take a final one before finishing for the evening.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1066/enginebayupdatehv0.th.jpg

Also, more thanks for forum folks today after picking up more parts:

Jazz1 for donating a stock front bumper free of charge! Really pleasant chap too, good to meet you :)

Wez for donating the rear seats, boot carpet and boot polystyrene bits, again, free of charge! :)

Can't thank you enough gents for your help.

Seeing as the weather was nice, here's yet another update

Fitted the rear seats, boot plastics, toolkit, boot carpet, tailgate plastic (Huge thanks to Wez for donating much of this for free!). What I didn't realise was that the aero boot carpet is different to the hardtop, so need to chop it up to get it to fit. Thats a shame as it's a mint condition carpet :(

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7387/bootfloorsi9.th.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2199/rearseatssl4.th.jpg

Fitted the upper glove box and used some mild mildew/mould remover on the entire cabin. Most of the plastic had a little bits of mould growing where it's been fairly open the elements over the last few years. Also gave it a coat of armor all to help protect the finish.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4039/interiorupdate3qr7.th.jpg

Also fitted the front bumper (Huge thanks to Jazz1 for donating this for nothing):

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9990/frontbumperfittednf4.th.jpg

Until now I've been pretty lucky with the colour match, the doors and spoiler are the same shade as the shell, the bonnet a little different (probably as it's quite well polished where as the rest is hasn't been cleaned/polished in years). The front bumper is a litte off colour/faded, but I am hoping that after a full machine polish the colours will match up better!

Also fitted the rad clamps (Thanks to Jevansio for providing for free!) and removed yet more from the engine bay wiring. Forgot to take a pic again but will try again tomorrow if there's any progress made.

The total spend so far is £394.98