The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

I'm also reconsidering the engine choice... I'm seriously tempted to purcahse a much cheaper, lower power carb engine similar to that used by rxv8 on his conversion (Who has been a great help finding some nicely priced motors!). It'd mean only about 300bhp, but I'm not that interested in out right power during the first phase of the conversion... decisions, decisions!

Total spent so far: £504.98

Does that not mean stupidly bad fuel economy? I would say turbo one of those engines / supercharge it otherwise it'll feel slow but I'm guessing it's gonna be single figure mpg territory. Not that a Supra is very fuel efficient in the first place, but I think it'd be noticeably worse.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does that not mean stupidly bad fuel economy? I would say turbo one of those engines / supercharge it otherwise it'll feel slow but I'm guessing it's gonna be single figure mpg territory. Not that a Supra is very fuel efficient in the first place, but I think it'd be noticeably worse.

The older carb engines can still be modified to delivery very respectable power without need for forced induction, though supercharging is the obvious long term goal. Either way, the final power should be much the same whichever route I take.

Though it'd be nice to have, fuel economy is not really a concern as the car is only intended as a weekend/track toy. From what I can find even the old carb motor should deliver more than 14mpg, so it's not so different from a single.

How about the hemi lump? are they expensive? what with all the 300c's i see around here you might even pick a lump up in a scrapy:)

Good suggestion Jamie. The Hemi 300c is extremely rare over here, but it's something worth checking into.... The only issue is the 6.2 Hemi *should* be worth about £10k 2nd hand, so way out of my budget.

put an rb26 lump in it :lol:

Lol, that'd upset a few folks! :D

I'm in contact with them already :) The final delivery price would be about £9k once taxes and shipping are included :(

LS1 from the same company works out about £5k, LS2 £8k, LS7 £10k, Viper £12k

The older SBC is about £1-2k, so I'm sure you can see why it's tempting :D

was at a nsra hot rod swap meet last sunday and there was a guy selling a sbc carb engine nearly the same spec as mine except it had dart iron eagle heads,and mine are ali but anyway the the wanted 2500.00 ono dynod at 480hp and ran mid tens in his pop...and was complete right from the carb to the sump...and if say you want the bottom end refreshed john sleath will do that for 500.00 of the folding type...bargain...i dare say ls would be a heck of a lot more...

was at a nsra hot rod swap meet last sunday and there was a guy selling a sbc carb engine nearly the same spec as mine except it had dart iron eagle heads,and mine are ali but anyway the the wanted 2500.00 ono dynod at 480hp and ran mid tens in his pop...and was complete right from the carb to the sump...and if say you want the bottom end refreshed john sleath will do that for 500.00 of the folding type...bargain...i dare say ls would be a heck of a lot more...

That sounds worth a look, if you go to any more V8/rod meets let me know bud.

How about this then? low miles LS1 lump, rip the lump out and maybe the Diff? and flog the rest, got to be the best cost option, if i go for an rx7 i think this is the way id do it.

simple http://www.rapid-gb.co.uk/ remap and free flow exhaust and that be 400bhp and SC later:cool:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/341825.htm

I think this is a LS1 also.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/434859.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got an hour free today to do some work on the car..

Front discs, calipers, pads and lines are now installed

The car came with no front brakes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=75298&stc=1&d=1210617074

Hope the discs are on the right way round!

attachment.php?attachmentid=75299&stc=1&d=1210617074

attachment.php?attachmentid=75300&stc=1&d=1210617074

Had another go at the rear passenger suspension, but everything is on there so tight I failed again to swap the hub :(

Forgot to add - after selling some more parts the total spend is now at: £474.98

Image048_.jpg

Image049_.jpg

Image058.jpg

rover v8's are cheap enough to buy and give good hp with a little bit of fettling

Nah mate, they are no way near capable of the sort of power I'll be eventually aiming for. Needs to be SBC ;)

Just a shame I'm poor this month as Jamie came through with an incredibly well priced built SBC :cry:

sbc? short block?

have a look in classic american or custom car mag homer might be of help m8

Small Block Chevy. Already got all the help I need so far (from the people that build the cars that end up in the mags), just need to put some money aside to start the work ;)

Nah mate, they are no way near capable of the sort of power I'll be eventually aiming for. Needs to be SBC ;)

Just a shame I'm poor this month as Jamie came through with an incredibly well priced built SBC :cry:

From the sound of things its been there for a while as he has not bothered advertising it so with a bit of luck it may be there in the next month or 2.

Guest mattsupra

hmmm interesting homer

my dad started the whole donny custom car show in 1980 with cliff moore so ive been around a bit you could say lol

Woohoo - Suspension and brakes are finally rebuilt and finished :)

The PITA passenger rear brakes and suspension are now finally rebuilt and assembled.

Here's the reason for swapping the hub. One stud snapped, three of the others were welded on but had snapped/bent. Dude had fitted much longer studs at some point (probably for drag wheels). The driveshaft was also permantly connected to the hub and the dust sheild had been cut away.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75564&stc=1&d=1210969189

All removed

attachment.php?attachmentid=75565&stc=1&d=1210969273

Old hub assembly top, salvage one below (with chopped off handbrake line and ABS sensor - sensor was a PITA remove, had to drill it out in the end)

attachment.php?attachmentid=75566&stc=1&d=1210969390

Dissasembled the salvage brakes, fited the handbrake cable checked the shoe wear. Pic of it here back in one peice

attachment.php?attachmentid=75568&stc=1&d=1210969585

Finsihed

attachment.php?attachmentid=75569&stc=1&d=1210969643

Also refitted the fuel supply lines so the car is now free to be rolled around after 2 months on the drive.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75570&stc=1&d=1210969820

Hope to pic up the dash panels tomorrow at Japfest so will get those painted and installed to complete the interior in the next coupld of weeks.

1Image049.jpg

1Image063 (2).jpg

1Image063.jpg

11Image065.jpg

11Image066.jpg

11Image068.jpg

supe011.jpg