My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is probably going to be the last update here for quite a while as the car is now fully ready for the conversion.

This offensive article is the last bit to go from the inside :p

attachment.php?attachmentid=75950&stc=1&d=1211389928

attachment.php?attachmentid=75952&stc=1&d=1211390008

All the wiring is connected up and the dash panels installed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75953&stc=1&d=1211390117

Total spend: £499.98

2Image065 (2).jpg

2Image065 (1).jpg

2Image065.jpg

2Image065 (9).jpg

Good work, Darryl.

I can barely wait for this to be finished. You are realising my Supra dream. Please keep us updated though. Pretty please.

Thanks Martin, we share the same dream :D This is something I've wanted to do for a number of years and of course everything will be here, good or bad.

Looking good D - any further forward on a new heart for it?

Yes and No, after a few phone calls this week the spec is more or less decided. Just a few more decisions to make, then it's time to start handing over some money. I can't remember all the exact branded parts we agreed on, but below should give an idea:

1st stage:

Stock LS1 engine from Camero/similar (~340bhp)

Aftermarket/LS2 intake manifold

Aftermarket headers

Custom twin open exhaust (which is going to be tricky/expensive to build)

K&N air filter with no decent CAI (will need some fab. work)

Aftermarket clutch

Aftermarket clutch master cylinder and custom made lines

T56 6spd gearbox (shifter mechanism will need some plates to move it backwards)

Stock auto LSD

Custom made two piece prop

Probably a stock (remapped) ECU, but need to do some more research be confirming

Darryl, I have spoke to John (Dude), we had quite a lengthy conversation the other night, he seems very well, and I told him all about your project, how his Supra has been ressurected from the scrap heap, how everyone has put bits in from the Supra community and he was having a little chuckle so hope it brightened his day up.....

I will be going to see him soon, so will be sure to print this off complete with pictures for him to read over.....

Thanks Martin, we share the same dream :D This is something I've wanted to do for a number of years and of course everything will be here, good or bad.

Yes and No, after a few phone calls this week the spec is more or less decided. Just a few more decisions to make, then it's time to start handing over some money. I can't remember all the exact branded parts we agreed on, but below should give an idea:

1st stage:

Aftermarket headers

Aftermarket clutch

Stock auto LSD

Probably a stock (remapped) ECU, but need to do some more research be confirming

Well done Darryl, she's coming alomg nicely...keep it up...:D ;)

Darryl, I have spoke to John (Dude), we had quite a lengthy conversation the other night, he seems very well, and I told him all about your project, how his Supra has been ressurected from the scrap heap, how everyone has put bits in from the Supra community and he was having a little chuckle so hope it brightened his day up.....

I will be going to see him soon, so will be sure to print this off complete with pictures for him to read over.....

Really pleased to hear this Ash. To be honest I thought John would be a bit heartbroken with the story about his pride and joy, but good to know he's still in good spirits about it. The car was 2 hours from being taken to the scrap yard when I picked it up, so it was a very close call. It's an absolute credit to the members here that have donated parts to get it nearly back on the road :thumbs:

Please say hello to John for me when you see him next, hope to meet him again once he's on day release.

Really pleased to hear this Ash. To be honest I thought John would be a bit heartbroken with the story about his pride and joy, but good to know he's still in good spirits about it. The car was 2 hours from being taken to the scrap yard when I picked it up, so it was a very close call.

Please say hello to John for me when you see him next, hope to meet him again once he's on day release.

Phew...Bet you are glad you picked her up when you did Darryl lol! :D

1st stage:

Aftermarket headers

Aftermarket clutch

Stock auto LSD

Looks like a good shopping list to be getting on with.... what should that lot see power wise or is it that real power gains will only be seen with a more aggressive cam added?

Should be real fun regardless - when you say stock ECU, do you mean one out of a Camaro?

1st stage:

Aftermarket headers

Aftermarket clutch

Stock auto LSD

Id consider doing a mild rd cam if i was you aswell, stevie (with the supercharged granny) is a good to talk to and has tried most things.

Looks like a good shopping list to be getting on with.... what should that lot see power wise or is it that real power gains will only be seen with a more aggressive cam added?

Should be real fun regardless - when you say stock ECU, do you mean one out of a Camaro?

400bhp is a realistic figure with the header, intake change and a minor map adjustment. Cams will help, but for the cost of the parts it's not really worth it at this stage. I'd rather make the cam change further down the modifiction route and get something to spec for the rest of the engine at that time (which will likely include SC and larger heads)

I'm not sure on the ECU he was suggesting, but it wasn't one that was linked to the source car. I beleive it is a corvette one.

Have you been talking to the guy, Mark I think, from Japfest ?

Yep, him and a couple of others. But very impressed with Mark so far, he seems much more willing to discuss options and explain things than some of the other (rather arrogant) people I've spoken to.

That's the point, was Mark there at Japfest??

He told me last friday that he would be coming up in a Gunmetal facelift Supra but i didnt see him at Japfest though...

Different guy Shane. The V8 guy is Mark fro RapidGB, the guy you mean is probably Mark from Phoenix?

Id consider doing a mild rd cam if i was you aswell, stevie (with the supercharged granny) is a good to talk to and has tried most things.

Sorry mate, but who is Stevie? Is that the fella from the other place you mentioned - forgot their name!

Yep, him and a couple of others. But very impressed with Mark so far, he seems much more willing to discuss options and explain things than some of the other (rather arrogant) people I've spoken to.

He certainly seemed to know what he was talking about

400bhp is a realistic figure with the header, intake change and a minor map adjustment. Cams will help, but for the cost of the parts it's not really worth it at this stage. I'd rather make the cam change further down the modifiction route and get something to spec for the rest of the engine at that time (which will likely include SC and larger heads)

Different guy Shane. The V8 guy is Mark fro RapidGB, the guy you mean is probably Mark from Phoenix?

Sorry mate, but who is Stevie? Is that the fella from the other place you mentioned - forgot their name!

Oops yeh i was talking about Mark from Phoenix lol! :D

Is he the guy who owns that mental Granada? Think I spoke to him before at pod last year!

Thats him, he knows his stuff, as i said last night this V8 stuff is all new to me but like you im trying to learn as much as i can and figure out who to trust on advice is the tricky bit.:)

Thats him, he knows his stuff, as i said last night this V8 stuff is all new to me but like you im trying to learn as much as i can and figure out who to trust on advice is the tricky bit.:)

Absolutely. We're in the same boat, it's like being a newbie all over again :D Certainly helps with the enthusiasm!

Thanks again for the advice and links mate, it's been invaluable :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another little update... and temporary change of plans! The car is now getting a 2JZ GE NA and 5spd bx installed ;)

Posted this in another thread, but will copy it here for those who are following the build:

The V8 install is still the target, but there are a couple of reasons why I've gone this route:

1) The cars electrics, fuel system, well everything really was hacked to death. I had to completely rebuild it, but I still have doubts about some aspects of it. I would really like to test everything works correctly before sending the car for the (very expensive) conversion

2) It's going to be a good 6 months before the main conversion can start so this is a change to get some use out of the car and fix a few issues in the mean time

3) I needed to get the drivetrain parts, clutch cyliner, pedals etc off the scrapper anyway so it was only an extra couple of hours to get the engine and box out.

4) It was only £350 and it's something I can resell at a later stage

Now that I have a trailer and car load of parts thanks to a find in a scrap yeard, work can begin to get the car on the road again.

This picture shows the problem - the car was initially installed with the wrong number of pedals:

attachment.php?attachmentid=77111&stc=1&d=1213640742

Correct number of pedals now installed. Needed to replace the accelerator, brake and clutch pedal with mounting backet. The clutch pedal was a bit of a fiddle, needed to drill some holes in the firewall too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=77112&stc=1&d=1213640742

Clutch master cylinder installed

attachment.php?attachmentid=77113&stc=1&d=1213640742

Just ordered the new tranmission tunnel housing from Toyota (£56!!) which should be here Wednesday, after which I can get on and install the NA engine and 5spd gearbox.

6Image065 (2).jpg

6Image065.jpg

6Image065 (3).jpg