The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supercharging an N/A, need some advice

Guest MrRob

Hi everybody

Need a few questions answering if you can help me...

I've been a bit dissapointed with my N/A in terms of performance since I got it, and now I'm on a quest for a bit more power. As every N/A owner is probably...

I know the N/A is difficult to improve without going down the forced induction route, and I'm simply not in a position to spend a few grand on a TT or upgrading mine with a single turbo conversion.

But, I'm considering having a play with a supercharger, and have been looking at various types and they dont seem to be too expensive. I know the work is going to be making it fit and connecting it up to the car, but i'm not too worried about that..

I'm thinking along these lines..

-Making fit a supercharger (Ive seen Eaton 45's 90's and 112's at reasonable prices) using a tensioner and longer auxiliary belt to drive it

-Connecting up the inlet pipework incorporating an intercooler of reasonable size in the front bumper

-Fitting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator

-Fitting a piggyback ECU (Dastek) with boost controller (not sure what the boost controller side of it does though) so the car can be mapped properly

-Utilising a wastegate/dump valve

Some of the questions I have are..

1- Am I being silly?

2- How much power are the stock N/A injectors good for?

3- How much power is the stock fuel pump good for?

4- I know the bottom ends are strong, but how much boost can the N/A handle before dropping the compression to 8.5:1

5- What do I need to do about the MAP sensor, could I use one of a TT or does the TT use an Air Mass Sensor?

6- What else do I need to consider? Ive probably missed out something blatantly obvious!

My goal is to get 300-320 Horsepower at the flywheel, Id be happy with that. Is this achievable do u think?

Hope u can help, because I really do quite fancy the whine of a supercharger coming from under my bonnet :)

Cheers:)

Hi mate, thanks for that. 310 pretty good result!! What did u do to the fuelling and ECU side of things. Ive ordered a mappable piggyback ecu and looking into adjustable fuel pressure regs...

NO stay away from the light

Barneybredan had a spot on setup IMO

But cost would be comparable to a tt transplant in the end, superchargers do come up fairly cheaply but can be a false economy, centrifugal compressor like a rotrex would be the route I'd go down as they are far simpler and more reliable, tend to be more costly second hand compared to twin screw tho

Trust me, if you can't run to a TT conversion you can't run to a supercharger UNLESS you have your own excellent fabrication facilities and skills, and your own basic machine shop. If that's the case do a really nice job and productionise it. It's tricky, hard work and time consuming. A basic single turbo install is far easier and probably far cheaper. Cheaper still is to sell the N/A and buy a TT all done and developed by Toyota.

Trust me, if you can't run to a TT conversion you can't run to a supercharger UNLESS you have your own excellent fabrication facilities and skills, and your own basic machine shop. If that's the case do a really nice job and productionise it. It's tricky, hard work and time consuming. A basic single turbo install is far easier and probably far cheaper. Cheaper still is to sell the N/A and buy a TT all done and developed by Toyota.

Sounds like the best advice right there

Supercharged conversion will take alot of time and money, swapping the head for a big single head isn't worth it, financially if you could afford all that business and lowering compression with engine rebuild pistons etc etc etc you probably wouldn't own an NA and would have bought a TT.

Read brendans thread, he had 310 meaty BHP that pulled like a train. Aim for that and your be a happy bunny.

Thanks for all your input guys, everything you've said has been taken on board. Yeah, a buying a TT seems the easy way out but I quite fancy the challenge so Im still thinking I might give it a go. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice :)

and p.S thats not a "f*** you Im doing it anyway statement" lol I just like the idea of a Supercharger and fancy a bit of a project thats all.. whether I succeed or fail is another thing haha..

Thanks for all your input guys, everything you've said has been taken on board. Yeah, a buying a TT seems the easy way out but I quite fancy the challenge so Im still thinking I might give it a go. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice :)

Go 1JZ-GTE route, easy to convert NA to 1JZ and engine is more rev happy and generally more lively than 2JZ :)