The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What car will be the next supra.

The Raven

Ok stay with on this.

When i was younger i saw a supra in the show room. 40k price tag. At the time that was big big money for a car. You could buy a house for less. I told myself i would never own one. The dream moved onto a Mk2 Mr2.

Needless to say everything dropped to the point owning one was simple. Massive amounts of aftermarket bits to add, great for tuning, awesome engine. Still commands looks and envy from most people. Even none car people say how nice they look.

I wonder what will be the next car to have this happen? I mean will the GTR have the same supra style following 15 years from now?

I thought about it when my nephew said he would never be able to buy a lotus elise that he seems to want.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing about new cars is they are unapproachable , the beauty of cars like the supra is that tuning them is doable by most people, cars are now so complicated I dont think anything but the exotic will have the same following

Current Porche 911 GT2 / Turbos?

You could say DB9 or Lambos or F430 if you take into account inflation from approx 15-18 years?

If you took into account earning £45k/year 16 years ago and had 5% inflation/year you'd have £98.2k now, which is DB9 money.

Nice post :thumbs:

I do hope to own a DB9 within 15 years :)

Current Porche 911 GT2 / Turbos?

You could say DB9 or Lambos or F430 if you take into account inflation from approx 15-18 years?

If you took into account earning £45k/year 16 years ago and had 5% inflation/year you'd have £98.2k now, which is DB9 money.

Nah! Look at the 993's of the supras day, and they don't have the same following. Just look at their prices for a start. The only cars I can think of is the current GTR and the 350/370z

Nah! Look at the 993's of the supras day, and they don't have the same following. Just look at their prices for a start. The only cars I can think of is the current GTR and the 350/370z

gtr I could agree, I admit exotics production numbers may nt create a huge Market, whilst I'd like to think db9 it's potentially unrealistic.

I don't think the 911 turbos of present day is unfeasable though.

Errr... :taped:

How come many 993 turbos still cost well over 50k for a stock example, the equivalent supra may be worth 1/5th of that max. They have one of the greater followings of all Porsches.

In response to the OPs question i'd probably say the Jag XKR will be the nearest equivalent.

You're agreeing with me...

I think the problem with a porsche is that although they are good cars they are far from outstanding. They are not value for money like the Supra was. You pay a high price for a Porsche and always have.

The thing with the Supra was that it its not a model that was constantly rehashed like the 911. Also value for money, yes it was expensive but not in comparison to the cars at the time to which it frankly shamed.

Nissan seem to be the strongest contender at the moment. The GT-R ticks all the boxes. Unique model, superb quality and tuning potential and importantly value for money.

I think the problem with a porsche is that although they are good cars they are far from outstanding. They are not value for money like the Supra was. You pay a high price for a Porsche and always have.

The thing with the Supra was that it its not a model that was constantly rehashed like the 911. Also value for money, yes it was expensive but not in comparison to the cars at the time to which it frankly shamed.

Nissan seem to be the strongest contender at the moment. The GT-R ticks all the boxes. Unique model, superb quality and tuning potential and importantly value for money.

Exsactly! Jap cars never hold their value like a Porsche will! I guess it's also got to be strong like the supra too. But I must admit I wouldn't like to work on these modern cars with all of their complex electrical gubbins, then again in 20 years time every diy mechanic will probably have his own laptop in the garage.

Exsactly! Jap cars never hold their value like a Porsche will! I guess it's also got to be strong like the supra too. But I must admit I wouldn't like to work on these modern cars with all of their complex electrical gubbins, then again in 20 years time every diy mechanic will probably have his own laptop in the garage.

Yeah, while technology is initially an inhibitor to tuning and home mechanics things move on and standards change. The market adapts accordingly. I don't this there will ever be a time when people wont at least have a go at working on a car.

It wont be any of the high end brands listed above. They would never be cheap to modify like the Supra is which has led to its popularity in recent years anyway.

I think as cars evolve and the technology changes to meet this they will become too expensive and complicated to play around with.

Coupled with the green zealots we will end up with some kind of green low carbon system in the uk to stop tuning of cars.

We dont need another one, kinda not what the question was.

Sorry dude, was not really replying to your post as such, more the answers.

I think the Nissan 350z and 370z might get similar attention, but it's likely to be the 911s and BMWs which will garner most attention from the aftermarket/owner's club scene.

It wont be any of the high end brands listed above. They would never be cheap to modify like the Supra is which has led to its popularity in recent years anyway.

I think as cars evolve and the technology changes to meet this they will become too expensive and complicated to play around with.

Coupled with the green zealots we will end up with some kind of green low carbon system in the uk to stop tuning of cars.

You could look back at how much things like fuelling systems, standalone ECUs, Turbos and the level of engineered parts you can buy now for affordable prices vs the price they would have been when the car comes out.

Any technology when it evolves over time the costs lower due to developments in production technology or higher yields or cheaper cost of materials with greater volumes. I would think the price of modding say a GTR now is a lot more than it will be in 10-15 years time. Heck when they just came out all the tuning houses of course had to start from scratch cracking and tweaking the GTR's maps and I bet that's a lot of R&D cost, which will be recouped over time.

So I think tuning for cars like that, as well as others with such volumes will come down. Yeah exotics like various italians etc may not fall as much due to the rarity and demand. Shame really. One day I'll own a lambo or a fezza. I am still trying to think of many cars bar porkas and the GTR that will come out in the right volume to drive costs down.

I agree with your last point though, I do wonder how the environmentally friendly people will go with car tuning, just got to look at what our friends in Denmark and such have to put up with now :(

I don't think anything will ever be as epic as the toyota supra, like people have said there is no other car that you can get for the money that still looks as good today as it did 17years ago, the only other car that I personaly like an think it still look good by todays standards is another jap icon the MK1 Mazda MX5 but then that isn't exactly super car like the supra is, maybe the RX7 also, I still see them and think yup yup like the supra. I think the GTR will date, the 350Z possible especially with a pair of turbos on it. Guess we will just need to revive this tread in 2020 to find out

I can see alot of people tuning the current bmw 335i in the futer when the price drops.

they have good potential for power and i hear of companys trying to develope tunig parts such as single kits fmics ect.

but the base for a tuned up beast is there , 3.0 l6 twin turbo, 6 speed manual version available. front engine rwd 2doore coupe. ..... sound famillier ??

I doubt it'll be 'the next Supra', but the FT-86 is going in the right direction for an enthusiast following & easy/cheap modifications (due to the use of a currently available engine which already has plenty of aftermarket parts available). I can't wait for its release!

I doubt it'll be 'the next Supra', but the FT-86 is going in the right direction for an enthusiast following & easy/cheap modifications (due to the use of a currently available engine which already has plenty of aftermarket parts available). I can't wait for its release!

:thumbs: bang on.

i would say that the lexus lfa is the new supra just instead of selling it as a alternative to the skyline under the trusty toyota badge they wacked a lexus badge on it and said they want it too be exclusive.

it reminds me of the 1994 Jaguar XJ220 S TWR a brilliant car just too expensive and not many built.

not very people will remember the lexus in 10 years i think

for the benefit of anal old men this is an opinion

however it does have supra like lines in a side on view

untitled.jpg

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

i would say that the lexus lfa is the new supra just instead of selling it as a alternative to the skyline under the trusty toyota badge they wacked a lexus badge on it and said they want it too be exclusive.

it reminds me of the 1994 Jaguar XJ220 S TWR a brilliant car just too expensive and not many built.

not very people will remember the lexus in 10 years i think

You've got that very wrong. The LFA is exclusively made for the Lexus brand and has nothing to do with a "modern supra". Its a £250K supercar that never was ment to be an alternative to the GTR (nor will be) and very few will ever be made. The supra was "just" a medium priced GT made in mass production. 2 different worlds.

I suspect that the Z06 Corvette might get very popular when prices are down

Edited by csa (see edit history)