The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Miami GT SMIC

jayssupra

Hi

Just had my new Miami GT SMIC fitted today and fits exactly where the stock one was, it uses all the same brackets and mounting pionts so theres no need for any drilling, but the best part was the performance i had the car on a rolling road before and after and there was a 28 bhp increase, not just that the car pulls a hell of a lot better, with all this hot weather my car has only been boosting at 0.9 bar but after i fitted the new intercooler it hits 1.2 bar, so if anyone has a old intercooler and has been thinking will it make any differance i can tell you Yes it will, and i would recommend the Miami GT SMIC, i have posted some pictures below so you can see how well it fits.

PS a very big thanks to paul at Miami GT

Image026.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boost from 0.9 increases to 1.2 either you had a really really knackered IC or a boost leak which has now been corrected.

I was going to mention this but couldn't be bothered earlier ;)

Now, though, I will comment and agree: a new IC cannot increase boost, unless the old one was leaking. What it CAN do is increase the cooling efficiency when the turbo's are working harder.

After installing my FMIC, I saw no change in boost, but did see a significant gain in power above 5k rpm, due to better IC efficiency. This is the same sort of thing you'd see with this side mount.

Nice replacement SMIC to keep in mind. Good work Pauls guys. :)

Out of interest, in the top pic there's a loose connector hanging down to the right and below the lower horn. Anyone have any idea what that is? I noticed it on mine yesterday and was a bit worried until I saw that pic.

OK, I'm 'non-car-techie'... this would be the same as a front mounted inter cooler, but a smaller side-mounted unit?

do peeps have them on both sides then? or does one suffice?

Why would peeps do this over the full front one? price? or are these for stock TT's and the front ones better for BPU?

think we need one of Mawby's sticky boxes for these... :)

Nice replacement SMIC to keep in mind. Good work Pauls guys. :)

Out of interest, in the top pic there's a loose connector hanging down to the right and below the lower horn. Anyone have any idea what that is? I noticed it on mine yesterday and was a bit worried until I saw that pic.

isnt that to do with the radiator??

hmmm very interesting. So just to confirm, this is a high quality replacement for the oem unit (and may be better than it, certainly better than an old tired unit) but it does not have an uprated core like the CW ones?

Paul does uprated ones, with uprated cores, 4 layers....these ones are stock replacements - not bad for half the price though.

CW ones are uprated ones too.

Paul does uprated ones, with uprated cores, 4 layers....these ones are stock replacements - not bad for half the price though.

CW ones are uprated ones too.

Uprated is a nasty word. Uprated means better and these are not better than a brand new stock SMIC. These cores from the pics I've seen arn't as good as stock or Chris Wilson's but they are cheap and do at least fit...I'm sure they're better than a knackered stocker!

The stock unit is VERY efficient, but people don't want to pay for a new stockone cause they are very expensive....quality costs...you get what you pay for.

you get what you pay for.

true but up until now you'd have to spend £575 ish for any option.

There is now a budget option, thats better than running around with a fubar'd stocker.

I don't think Paul has made any claims that this particular IC is uprated its just a replacement.

He makes 'uprated' claims on other more expensive IC's he sells, as do other traders.......

"Uprated" in which operating conditions exactly?

The answer might be a loooong story, as these are usually trade-offs amongst conflicting requirements - typically you gain some heat exchange at high air speed at the expense of low speed. This can vary for internal or external airflow.

By the looks of it (can't say for sure without weighing it first) it might be slightly uprated in heatsink capacity.

But I, too, hate using the 'U' word willy-nilly.

Uprated rad caps (simply because they have a different pressure setting?),valve caps (aluminum) etc...It's a marketing word meant to convey 'betterness' when an item is simply 'not stock'.

Then it breaks:innocent:

Hey i'm with you on the uprated thing, just like i'm with Alex on the stock IC being very good/efficient.

I just commented on the IC being put forward here and the fact that no claims have been made as it being uprated, as i thought Alex had got slightly the wrong end of the stick.

IMO for people running stock or stock'ish power, then it fills a gap in the market between, a discounted stock replacement (still £600+ i'd imagine), a CW Greddy etc one, or just 'getting by' with the old and flakey one thats on at the moment.........

Hold on guys.

The SMIC discussed in THIS thread is being marketed as a stock replacement - normal price £295

Paul does an "UPRATED SMIC" for £450, he is marketing this as an UPRATED SMIC.

I should have one of those by the end of this month, will drop it in my car and youll have the dyno plots to see the difference IF ANY.

will be good to see how the uprated one fairs too

agreed this unit is at an excellent price, cheap unit that looks well made, ideal to replace a shagged stock one and will be what a lot of people need when then don't want to spend £600+ on 'uprated'