The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Miami GT SMIC

jayssupra

Call them what you like guys

We have done

1. A stock 'old' SMIC versus the Miami-GT Stock replacement dyno run

and when Imi gets his will be doing a

2. A stock 'old' SMIC versus the Miami-GT 'Uprated' stock replacement dyno run

Again, it's not uprated...it's just bigger and that's not necessarily better until proven. And it must be proven against a stocker in equal brand new condition.

Maybe I should rate all new products to cut through the marketing BS. :)

But at least they are better than a completely knackered 14 year old SMIC... :rolleyes:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Terry S
is it a genuine 28bhp from the intercooler tho, or assisted because the boost was increased at the same time?

Did this ever get answered?

Guest Terry S
LOL!

You really hate this dont you? It's getting a bit sad TBH

Dont worry we will get the results out for you to see mate.. in the meantime you will have to take an objective members viewpoint - gad that must hurt! :)

:taped:

I would love someone "technical" to put this whole intercooler debate to rest, as to what works and what does'nt...there seems to be so much debate over this whole intercooler thing thats been going, on and off now for a good month or so, ive decided to ignore all veiws and go on what I feel will work from my experience and research with a few pointers from people on the way, I say its time for people to make there own decisions on these products on what works and what does'nt work, traders on here are naturally going to market their products and say they are the best and you should'nt use anything else becuase they want you to buy them, I would love a neutral opinion from a technical member of different scenarios ie BPU with side mount, BPU with front mount etc etc so we have some diffinitive answers, testing would be the easiest way to do this but its not going to happen imo, maybe we should ask members who have a range of different setups to come to a rolling road event.....only difficulty is getting people with Newish setups

I would love someone "technical" to put this whole intercooler debate to rest, as to what works and what does'nt...there seems to be so much debate over this whole intercooler thing thats been going, on and off now for a good month or so, ive decided to ignore all veiws and go on what I feel will work from my experience and research with a few pointers from people on the way, I say its time for people to make there own decisions on these products on what works and what does'nt work, traders on here are naturally going to market their products and say they are the best and you should'nt use anything else becuase they want you to buy them, I would love a neutral opinion from a technical member of different scenarios ie BPU with side mount, BPU with front mount etc etc so we have some diffinitive answers, testing would be the easiest way to do this but its not going to happen imo, maybe we should ask members who have a range of different setups to come to a rolling road event.....only difficulty is getting people with Newish setups

It would be easy to prove which IC's are best/are an upgrade over stock....but it would take money...

We need 1 car...standard trim.

We need 1 of every intercooler in NEW condition inc stock.

We need about 3 days of dyno time.

I'm sure you can see it would take about 10k of investment to work it all out properly...obviously the kit could then be sold to get back most of that money.

Assuming you have a 10+ year old Supra on the original intercooler I'd do this;

BPU = CW SMIC or 2Row FMIC (GReddy/Blitz)

APU T61 = CW SMIC, 2/3 Row FMIC (GReddy/Blitz)

APU T67+ = 2-4Row FMIC (GReddy/Blitz)

If I was BPU and intended to go APU I'd just get the biggest I'd need for my application so I only had to buy 1 IC.

Absolutely - if you are looking to go massive single etc in the future then dont get a stock replacement

If you are staying BPU or Hybrids then you can, more than likely, get away with these or a FMIC two row

Large Turbo - Greddy Three Row?

Just makes sense...

I have never made any wild claims or marketed these an an 'elixir of life'

They cool air - they are an intercooler - they are cheap - they will replace your stock one and hopefully improve performance... end of... no big deal...life goes on... :)

If you took 10 intercoolers for instance

Cost (back of fag packet stuff here)

Av £500.00 each -= £5000.00

Dyno

5 cars avaialable - each testing 2 intercoolers each = 3 runs per I/C (if thats what makes someone happy! :))

2 days dyno £1400.00

Mechanic - 2 days (assuming helping out etc) £500.00

Problem will be

1. All that capital in stock tied up till sold

2. Recoupling £2000 of expenditure = min 12/15 Intercoolers sales required

3. No one will care anyway - and there will just be loads of arguements about how the tests were run etc

Maybe sell the idea to a magazine etc? J-Tuner perhaps - see if it's worth their while to encourage these as a regaular article?

On a dyno or RR you will not get a fair test of the side mounts.

The low pressure region created by the spinning front wheel coupled with the huge airflow forced directly through the sidemount ducting will not be present on a RR. The larger surface area and heat soak capability of a front mount will sway the RR results in favour of the front mounts in the proposed test conditions.

Howabout not relying on a HP figure ? - Which we'd know how that would end up. People would say that HP is not realistic .. blah .. blah .. etc.

So, how about basing the test on actual figures/readings/cycles etc of components in the engine that WOULD definately be effected by a:

a) GREAT INTERCOOLER

b) GOOD INTERCOOLER

c) OK INTERCOOLER

d) POOR INTERCOOLER

e) BAD INTERCOOLER

So, for example cooling temps is something (AFAIK) that would be the result of the condition of the core ? (is that right ?)

So, you've got all these figures/readings/ratings/cycles - from sensors that are located in areas that WOULD be effected using a), b), c), d) & e). And you've data-logged them.

Do some maths on them and you have rating - for that IC. Do the same road test for every IC.

And you'll probably want to use the same car.

Paul - donate some those SMIC's of yours. And the Winner get's one of your IC's for a discount.

That would be more of a fair test - whaddya say ?

• 2 months later...
Boost from 0.9 increases to 1.2 either you had a really really knackered IC or a boost leak which has now been corrected.

Jason's car only runs with a single (and not double) decat - this raise in boost is questionable...having spoken to Jason he is redoing the test Wednesday (of his own volition) same boost levels - same equipment etc

• 2 weeks later...