The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The supra skyline thing

DamanC

Now im sure im about to open one huuuuge can of worms but what the heck the forums quiet.

Why is it people go on about skylines and not supra's?

when people need to speek of a fast car they tend to say "skyline"

Everyone wants to buy something such as a skyline

"I love skylines"

"when i grow up i want a skyline"

Skyline posters etc etc etc

i could go on, but i hope you get what i mean.

They just seem more popular than supes. Now excuse my ignornace (i dont know much about skylines) but are they not fairly equil power wise? apart from the little difference of lighter and revvier at the expence of tourque and stability, but only by a little AFAIK

Is it simply there are more of them than the supe?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive always been under the impression that skylines were more modded engine wise and because of that people tend to think that they are a more powerful car. I dont know, but one think i do know is that the only reason people buy skylines is for power, there ugly as sin!!!

The Supra's powerful and gorgeous. When looking for a new car just over a month ago, i my heart never skipped at beat when looking at the Skylines. That only happened when i found my supra. I think i wet myself the first time i laid eyes on her! My GF got jealous, she said i never look at her like that!! lol

They have loads of power (not quite as much as the Soop though) and are usually 4WD, which is why people like... but I've heard their engines are a bit weak and not as good to mod as a Soop (in terms of bomb-proofness)...

Skyline was 'the' easiest car to drive in every version of Gran Turismo, hence their popularity I think....

They are technically engine and chassis wise a lot superior, hold their value better, and are bought by people who actually use them to their full capabilities, ie, on track days in much greater numbers than Supras, which are more often to be found in small groups with their bonnets up, with owners discussing the colour of the hoses and the style of their latest ill fitting body kits

Is that contentious enough for you :) Most of that is tongue in cheek, with a smattering of truth thrown in!

I've never understood why they seem to hold their value better, when they're not quite as reliable, nowhere near as good looking (though not ugly by any stretch), and much more expensive to insure. Comparing the price of an R34 GTR to a similarly aged TT Supra. Were they that much more to buy originally?

:looney:

Must admit the only other car really (within reasonable price range, obviously a Koenigsegg would tempt me) to tempt me away from owning another supra would be an R33/34. However when i really think about why it would, i always end up thinking of the supra. In terms of power, yes they are fairly equal, but the Liner does have the 4WD, but does not compare in looks to the supra. Plus i think the older Liners, and the GTS's are getting a little bit like the old Scoobies and Evo's, with Chavs buying them up left right and centre and turning them into sheds. In my opinion there isnt another car out there, for the money that compares in looks and power to the supra. And tbh let them keep raving about the Skylines, it means ours remain rare and will turn more heads than them.

I've had both! :D

Horses for courses - different at doing different things well. And while a Skyline might not be "pretty" like a Supra it does look mean as fook and its surprising how many cars get out of your way because of it!!!

I agree they look mean as fook and that is one thing i do love about them and why i keep thinking, "well maybe ill got one instead of another supra", then i see a nice supra and think, "nah what was i thinking". Besides it would have to be a GTR for me and they still cost as much as my left kidney and testicle combined. Neither of which im prepared to part with to buy one.

I've had both! :D

Horses for courses - different at doing different things well. And while a Skyline might not be "pretty" like a Supra it does look mean as fook and its surprising how many cars get out of your way because of it!!!

P.S. Which one made you smile more when you drove it and looked at it?

I guess the GTR skyline is the one we are discussing?

The 4wd, 4ws and all the clever "gran turismo" style computers must help I guess. The capacity for a big power yet easily drivable car must be a big attraction, as must getting traction off the line.

Some people say the GTS-T is a better skyline tuning/racing-wise due to the 2wd config, but 9 out of 10 people in the market for one of these must surley have considered a supra?!

The only skyline I would buy is the R34 GTR, a highly developed very well built Jap supercar. You just have to see Jeremy Clarkson giving one a road-test to see that :)

They are technically engine and chassis wise a lot superior, hold their value better, and are bought by people who actually use them to their full capabilities, ie, on track days in much greater numbers than Supras, which are more often to be found in small groups with their bonnets up, with owners discussing the colour of the hoses and the style of their latest ill fitting body kits

Is that contentious enough for you :) Most of that is tongue in cheek, with a smattering of truth thrown in!

Typical skyline owner comment. :tongue:

;) :D

Quite why people always assume all Skylines are 4wd i don't know. last time out, at Oulton, in the *issing rain, someone came up to me after having a sound thrashing, and said that being 4wd was so much of an advantage in the wet that it wasn't a fair match. He was even more irked when I said show me a front diff or driveshaft! The rear wheel drive GTS-t's are very cheap, very underated, and very good fun.

I sold a zero miler R34 GTR, one of the last 3 UK cars, for 48k, so I think they were dearer than the last of the UK Supras?

I guess the GTR skyline is the one we are discussing?

The 4wd, 4ws and all the clever "gran turismo" style computers must help I guess. The capacity for a big power yet easily drivable car must be a big attraction, as must getting traction off the line.

Some people say the GTS-T is a better skyline tuning/racing-wise due to the 2wd config, but 9 out of 10 people in the market for one of these must surley have considered a supra?!

The only skyline I would buy is the R34 GTR, a highly developed very well built Jap supercar. You just have to see Jeremy Clarkson giving one a road-test to see that :)

the computers actually don't make it that much easier to drive, its still easy to get it wrong - and as the limits are higher due to the Intel Inside ;) it can go very wrong. The 4wd mainly comes in for launching, it backs off heavily to RWD on the move and in cornering.........but helps for wet grip :) Alot of people lock out the 4ws - its very un-nerving when it happens and when you aren't used to it, feels like the back end has broken loose but it hasn't!

I wouldn't say either were particularly nice looking cars, not compared to some coupes. Lancia Gamma coupe was a stunner. Dire enegine, pretty dire gearbox, shocking bodyshell rot, but gorgeous to look at. S15 Silvia is a LOT prettier than Skylines of all models, and the Supras, IMO.

So you're saying Supra owners are posers and Skyline owners use their machinery? :p

Well that also figures if you look at the cars styling. The Supra IS much prettier therefore will attract a person more concerened with looks. The Skyline is purposeful looking and a great performer for those more interested in performance aspects.

I think alot is down to tuning and what i mean is tuning companies that develop products and work on the cars so as the GTR was available from 1989 it had many years on development ahead of the supra. From hanging around the supra club over the last 2 years ive seen the development of supra tuning go leaps and bounds which says it all really. I mean how many supras had say 500+ bhp 3 years ago?? i would guess not that many but theres plenty now but you go back 3 years to the skyline club and there would have been plenty!!

What i would say about the tuning is its amazing how the supras are in my opinion about the best bhp per £££ you can get!! i dont think theres many cars out there that for under £3k you can go single and make over 500 bhp!!

Just need the same thing to happen with the 300zx's :D

I mean how many supras had say 500+ bhp 3 years ago?? i would guess not that many but theres plenty now but you go back 3 years to the skyline club and there would have been plenty!!

Thats true but you'll find a lot of that will also be down to how the prices for Supra's are now cheaper leaving some cash for mods, plus now tuning has got better in the UK its cheaper to do than it used to be which will also account for more people doing it!

I've posted it once but I don't care, I'm going to post it again. Some pictures I took at the Omori factory in Tokyo on Sunday:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=55033&page=3

Now tell me you don't want one :)

It was my first ride in an R34 and I was starting to ask myself if it's time for a change.... Conclusion was no, I need a second car :)

I've driven my mates R32 and loved that too.

These were great examples that have had quality modifications and meticlously maintained.

Well ive had a supra, R32 and R33 GTR's so heres my opinion of them all

The supra was by far the best put together but its a toyota ;) ive never driven a pretty standard one so hard to tell but my highly tuned was was very much a handful lol

The R33 was stage 1-2 so about 400 bhp and tbh felt very slow and a little boat ish and to get it to the next level was going to cost alot of money but theres no doubt the 4WD was amazing round bends and you found yourself going faster and faster round them and felt confident

The R32 was running 550 ish bhp so a different animal to the 33, felt alot lighter and nimble and with the power was dare i say it pretty unbeatable on the road??

In conclusion i will be going back to a skyline but out of the RWD cars the supra would be my choice and what people are forgetting is there 2 completly different kinds of animal, the supra is more matched with the 300zx and RX7 rather than the skyline GTR

Mike