The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The supra skyline thing

DamanC

They are technically engine and chassis wise a lot superior, hold their value better, and are bought by people who actually use them to their full capabilities, ie, on track days in much greater numbers than Supras, which are more often to be found in small groups with their bonnets up, with owners discussing the colour of the hoses and the style of their latest ill fitting body kits

I agree with Chris. All the track days that we have done there always will be a couple of Skyliners and no Supra. Take Japfest only one Supra and more Skyliners. People get more impressed with some thing that is moving rather than a static thing. We are also thinking of buying R34 GTR.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and i forgot to say

You all go on about fast and furious??

wasnt it the supra which was in it more?? lol

tbh i think it did both cars more harm than good ;)

Anyone that had anything to do with those films should be flogged.

I've posted it once but I don't care, I'm going to post it again. Some pictures I took at the Omori factory in Tokyo on Sunday:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=55033&page=3

Now tell me you don't want one :)

It was my first ride in an R34 and I was starting to ask myself if it's time for a change.... Conclusion was no, I need a second car :)

I've driven my mates R32 and loved that too.

These were great examples that have had quality modifications and meticlously maintained.

have had my Supra for almost 2 years with virtually nothing to `fix`,

would i get away with that with a Skyline though??

maybe take my chances with this one......hmmmm:eyebrows:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3811/mp39jr3uz.jpg

SatSport - That's Bean's car, he gave me a lift :)

As far as reliability goes, I think they're much the same as Supra's, and most other cars. Service them properly and choose your mods & tuner with care and you'll be fine.

I've also had both (admittedly the R33 GTS-T not the GTR) but would say they are very different cars.

The Skyline has a more current pedigree to the Supra (although no longer in GT class so much as replaced by the 350z) it's history is FULL of racing victories and there are more variations all as capable as the early R32 generation.

What I will say though is the engines whether it be the RB25 or RB26(pistons mainly) on the Skyline is a weaker unit from factory than the 2JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GE units. I wanted to get 450bhp from the Skyline and was told I would need a complete bottom end rebuild at £7K to handle the power yet the Supe will have nearer to 600bhp with stock internals/bottom end once I go single.

Both are awesome machines that can be made VERY fast but the Supe allows you to get far more for your money and leave the very expensive bits till later than the Skylines do.

The fact the Skyline is also still made to this day (I am right there aren't I?! R35 model??) and offers 4WD and a host of other goodies may be why people choose them but it's personal preference for me!

The Supe looks like a Super Car the Skyline without any of the extra frills i.e bodywork, alloys, carbon this and that is a very understated car except the R34 GTR but that is still a mega £££££ model so not really in the equation!

I was put off by the need to dip into the wallet to such an extent so early into my ownership to gain an extra 100/150bhp when you can stick with the Supe internals up to 1000bhp (if you believe what some of the US boys are saying).

Just my take on the two!

Pete

different cars, different pros and cons imho

mkiv JZA-80 is quite unique (i.e. there arn't any other models in the range like it, or many cars in general that are like it). The skyline, any model is just a variant in a large range that all look similarly non-descript.

you get much more for your money with the supra, it is more tuneable for less money and modification

it looks infinitely better stock, it looks better with aftermarket parts too. You have to go a long way to even make a skyline look half way attractive in the first place.

for people that don't know, a skyline is just another car - this is both good and bad of course.

The skyline is an awesome platform if you want to go all the way with a race car, however you will need massively deep pockets.

for what you could want out of a high performance road car the supra has a heck of a lot to offer too, more than enough for most purposes

In many ways isn't the R32 the best of the skylines? The newer models trade one set of things for another and become bigger, heavier and more comprimised in many respects. The R32 is the most dog ugly of the bunch though, how can you get enthusiastic about an 80s styled box. Ok if it's purely racing you want at a professional level, who cares what it looks like. Don't think that applies to many of is though.

I know which one has the x-factor and is easy to get enthusiastic about. Out of a lot of petrol heads I know at least, the supra is not outshone by the skyline at all, more the other way around

but the skyline has had a lot of hype and promotion behind it, has had for a long time... some rubs off on the impressionable I guess

Engine wise superior? Show me a Skyline making 1000hp on a stock block.

Built engine wise then its up to the tuners.

I agree with the owners being more race minded etc, but that doesnt make the car better for it.. the best thing it has going for it imho is that it CAN put the power down easier onto the track than a big power Supra.. therefore making it a beast that can also be more practical. (GTR anyway)

I'd love an R34.

Bloke at work I spoke to said Scooby owners want Evos, Evo owners want Supras, and Supra owners want Skylines!!!

He has a Scooby. :p

I now have an Evo VI an love it to bits :D Totally different drive :eyebrows: , and TBH i'm not so sure i'd go back..... although I do miss the build quality ;)

It's not all about motorway/straight line power ;) :p

Cheers,

Paul (Capt.) :D

Its not all about ugly 4 door boxes either, but gotta respect the cars handling ability and engine :)

Each to their own. BTW I think the quickest evo engined car is running in the 6s in the US, so they're not bad either :) )

True, mate. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder and all that :)

It may not be pretty, but i am beginning to love the aggresive looks of the VI. My switch was one forced by an addition to the family. A sensible 4 door family saloon was on the shopping list and that what I bought :eyebrows:

I can't complain :D

Also, i think this year will be interesting regarding the 1/4 mile shootouts... Simon Norris' snot rocket is a bit of a tool:eyebrows:

See y'all at the shows :D

Cheers,

Capt. :D

untrue about the RB26 engine being weak!! its good for upto 600 bhp then tbh its more the box which is the weak point or the syncros i should say

450 is more than fine on a skyline engine and i'm sure theres just as many people out there claiming 1000 bhp on a stock bottom end?? tbh i cant see the point?? if your spending that amount of money to get 1000 bhp then why not replace the bottom end with something more bomb proof!? but it seams to be some kind of bragging rights in the USA of who has got more out of the OEM pistons/rods etc personally i think its BS but then again its in the US and i dont believe half of the power ratings they say ;)

Mike

I'd love an R34.

Bloke at work I spoke to said Scooby owners want Evos, Evo owners want Supras, and Supra owners want Skylines!!!

He has a Scooby. :p

Lad that I know claims his dream car to be a TT Supra and he currently drives a R33 GTS-T. I think if he had a R34 GTR it maybe a different story.

I agree they look mean as fook and that is one thing i do love about them and why i keep thinking, "well maybe ill got one instead of another supra", then i see a nice supra and think, "nah what was i thinking". Besides it would have to be a GTR for me and they still cost as much as my left kidney and testicle combined. Neither of which im prepared to part with to buy one.

LOL - with ur kidney worth about 3k, how much u getting for 1 of your testicles?:p

I like them both !

I was torn between the two when wanting to sell my impreza but as alot of my friends have skylines i wanted to be different !.

Ive only been in a R33 gtr and a R34 gtr and the power delivery compared to a tt supra is vastly different.

Skylines tend not to have as much low down power but have the edge on grip and ability to be driven right to the edge on the track and the road.

I am still in awe of just how fast a modded skyline can hunt for the horizon its breath taking stuff !!.

Dan

Guest Flat4_ire
They have loads of power (not quite as much as the Soop though) and are usually 4WD, which is why people like... but I've heard their engines are a bit weak and not as good to mod as a Soop (in terms of bomb-proofness)...

Skyline was 'the' easiest car to drive in every version of Gran Turismo, hence their popularity I think....

the RB26 engine is regarded as one of the best/strongest engines ever made

the RB26 engine is regarded as one of the best/strongest engines ever made

So is the 2JZ-GTE. Depends on who you talk to. But stock RB26 cant take the power the 2JZ-GTE can.

Difference is, ones revvy and the other has more torque, but things can be done to both to up the rev limit and displacement... kinda like that Supra on Supraforums killing that motorbike, his rev limit was raised to 9k.

I do love Skylines too, I would always consider one as an alternative to a Supra if something happened to my car.

Guest RK500

ello :). well to run over 450 in a gt-r you do not need to uprate the internals. can easy run over 500 without hassle. also many say you need to change the fuel pump but if you have a very early model R32 GT-R '89 then the fuel pumps are good for 600+hp. Darren of RK Tuning is running about 650 in his yellow one and has never changed the pump. My grey one is running 500+ and no problems with the fuel pump (still standard internals too though pistons need changing but thats because i messed them up from doing something else lol!.....no was not laughing gas). if you are thinking of going for a GT-R then source the earliest R32 GT-R you can find and you will not be disappointed ;)

ello :). well to run over 450 in a gt-r you do not need to uprate the internals. can easy run over 500 without hassle. also many say you need to change the fuel pump but if you have a very early model R32 GT-R '89 then the fuel pumps are good for 600+hp. Darren of RK Tuning is running about 650 in his yellow one and has never changed the pump. My grey one is running 500+ and no problems with the fuel pump (still standard internals too though pistons need changing but thats because i messed them up from doing something else lol!.....no was not laughing gas). if you are thinking of going for a GT-R then source the earliest R32 GT-R you can find and you will not be disappointed ;)

thanks for the advice:thumbs: