The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The supra skyline thing

DamanC

Guest RK500

haha yeah more than likely confused with scooby performance. no probs for the advice jamiep. plus with an early model you get the lightest gt-r about. have had my grey one on a weigh bridge half a tank of petrol and it was just over 1500kgs...still in full road trim and fully equiped. heavy some may think but when you look at the dry weight of a r33 gt-r being 1530kg.....it soon begins to sound light ;). as for early wise my grey one is chassis number 860...and as the rumours ran about the early ones were closer to being just detuned for road use to get them out and on the road for homoligation

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting point from SkyJawa earlier on - sad to admit more people get out of the way the few times I've driven my friends GTR then when I'm in mine!

Weird isn't it!!!

Its nice to see a Supra/Skyline thread on here thats not turning into a slanging match or just critisising the Skyline, good work fellas :)

i dont think a supra can be put against a 300zx.i think a 300zx is more in line with a mk3 supra turbo. have read loats of posts about skyline engines letting go.nephews mate bought a r34 and it went not long after he bought it.cost him a fortune to sort it out.

i been in my mates r33gtr and loved it.had twin plate clutch.he now gone for a rb30 conversion with internals and gt42 and loads of custom made parts.cant wait till he gets it back.going to be something special.

the r32 gtr`s dont do anything for me.most 33`s just seem to blend in and dont look nothing special.34`s look so mean on the road.well any other colour than blue.

at one time you hardly ever seen any skylines now they everywhere.remember driving in a mk3 supra turbo years ago and seen my 1st r33gtr and looked great.

Guest RK500

well dont get your heart too set on htat one matey......cause mate of mine is going up there this friday to look into buying it haha.

as for skylines vs supras and what not......its not about what is better or whatever for each car will be better than another for different reasons to different people. its like fashion...you get what you think is the best and in your taste where as someone else will do the same but your 'best' and their's will be different but it doesnt make either one of you better or worse than the other.....well thats just how i see it ;)

end of the day there is always someone faster than you :D

well dont get your heart too set on htat one matey......cause mate of mine is going up there this friday to look into buying it haha.

if i get one id get someone such as jurgen to import one for me at a much better price, but thats the sort of thing id be after;)

i dont think a supra can be put against a 300zx.i think a 300zx is more in line with a mk3 supra turbo. have read loats of posts about skyline engines letting go.nephews mate bought a r34 and it went not long after he bought it.cost him a fortune to sort it out.

Why??

Both 3 ltrs both come in a NA and Twin turbo, manual and auto???

Both around 300ish BHP in twin turbo trim, both RWD???

Sound pretty similar to me!! only advantage is most the supra's are several years newer than the 300's so suffer less

Dont get me wrong i love both the supra and the 300zx

also wasnt the 300zx (89+ model) one of the reasons toyota went back to the drawing board and developed the mark 4 supra??

Mike

if i get one id get someone such as jurgen to import one for me at a much better price, but thats the sort of thing id be after;)

wish i'd never got rid of mine :(

got offered silly money for it as it had 29k on the clock 2530 turbos and was just mint!!

Wasnt as mental as my T88 supra but sooooo controllable power :)

Mike

Guest RK500

thats the best way. told him i could get him in a gt-r from japan for a good price but he said he doesnt want to wait! muppet lol

They are technically engine and chassis wise a lot superior

Go on then Chris, I am calling your bluff.

An engine with several problems the 2JZ does not suffer from, and lots of weaker components. I think a *slightly* better head is the only thing better.

Chassis, from all I have heard (and can believe from my experiences) the JZA80 chassis is stiffer. It certainly pulls more lateral 'G's and better slalom speeds.

Fire away

Go on then Chris, I am calling your bluff.

An engine with several problems the 2JZ does not suffer from, and lots of weaker components. I think a *slightly* better head is the only thing better.

Chassis, from all I have heard (and can believe from my experiences) the JZA80 chassis is stiffer. It certainly pulls more lateral 'G's and better slalom speeds.

Fire away

i'm sure both engine have their flaws and strong points!! everyone has their own personel favorites.

Mike

Why??

Both 3 ltrs both come in a NA and Twin turbo, manual and auto???

Both around 300ish BHP in twin turbo trim, both RWD???

Sound pretty similar to me!! only advantage is most the supra's are several years newer than the 300's so suffer less

Dont get me wrong i love both the supra and the 300zx

also wasnt the 300zx (89+ model) one of the reasons toyota went back to the drawing board and developed the mark 4 supra??

Mike

know you into your 300zx`s but when i think of them as dated & i just think of a mk3 supra times.imo the mk4 in a different league.

all the cars have good and bad.

SKYLINE OWNERS - CANT DRIVE ,BUT THINK THEY CAN SO THEY NEED THIS CAR TO MAKE THEM FEEL BETTER AND SMALL WILLIES ONTOP

SUPRA OWNERS-KNOW THEY CANT DRIVE AND HAVE HUGE WILLIEs -thats why they cant drive , take me for example

thats my thoughts ...ugly cars aswell skylines .....so if you have both of these it irons things out :D

know you into your 300zx`s but when i think of them as dated & i just think of a mk3 supra times.imo the mk4 in a different league.

all the cars have good and bad.

yes i'm into my 300's and also supras and skylines

IMHO i would put the 300 and supra in the "same kind of car" bracket, wouldnt say there in a different league but they do certainly have a few things in standard form which are better though ;)

SKYLINE OWNERS - CANT DRIVE ,BUT THINK THEY CAN SO THEY NEED THIS CAR TO MAKE THEM FEEL BETTER AND SMALL WILLIES ONTOP

SUPRA OWNERS-KNOW THEY CANT DRIVE AND HAVE HUGE WILLIEs -thats why they cant drive , take me for example

thats my thoughts ...ugly cars aswell skylines .....so if you have both of these it irons things out :D

hmmm I see you've really thought this through, you make some good points there... ;)

I have owned both. I can’t really speak for performance reasons as I only had a na sup. And I have a gts-t but a rather special one full gtr look-alike including the rear flared arches which the gts always missed” not done by me a kid in Japan”.

I used to cruise around a hell of a lot through towns etc, Portsmouth, Worthing, Chichester etc. And I have only once got shouted at in the supra, people always gave the looks but that was mainly the ladies woohooo.

The skyline however I get kids, men shouting at me come on mate let’s hear it, wow skyline, come on launch it .And the ladies seem to hate the thing. I don’t get left alone in petrol stations either whether its some one else on the forecourt or the guy behind the counter , the most common question has to be what’s she running, they all assume skylines have huge bhp.

The skyline defiantly appears to have a much higher street racing cred than the supra. The annoying thing is I find other “spirited” drivers were always up for a race in the supra they would sit on my arse and flash or come up along side and thumbs up, in the skyline they just don’t bother they creep past they seemed scared they are going to get there arse handed to them just because it’s a skyline.

I love the supra styling its beautiful soft rounded in all the right places and well the interior compared to the skyline it’s a palace the skyline is very dull and not as well built, it looks the same interior as a s14 200sx and mines had the gtr interior put in id hate to think what gts standard seats are like. The skyline styling obviously has a more boxed shape, and to me and everyone else that makes comments on my car says that’s one mean looking machine.

The gts-t I have never had so much fun going sideways I know it has been setup for it by the kid in Japan but even so it feels so much lighter than the supra and sideways is a dream its effortless. I am so much less paranoid booting it and drifting round roundabouts in the skyline than I was the supra even thought I found my na sup would only do this in the wet due to the lack to tubbies it was still a handful.

I am planning to sell the skyline within the next 3-4monthys.I have always wanted a single turbo sup since seeing the videos and talk about them, but I want some one to tell me can you really drive them fast or is it all wheel spin? And is it point and shoot driving?.. I am tempted to go gtr just for the 4wd and get a torque splitter so I can choose the ratio of power so for some sideways fun put 80% to the rear wheels at the touch of a button. Since we have mostly wet weather the 4wd is really playing on my mind.

I gree with you guys, skylines are not even faster

performance info:

R34 GT-R

Max power 276bhp (claimed) 327 bhp (they say actual)

Max speed 155 mph

0-60 mph 4.9 secs

OUR SUPRAS TT's

Max power 326 bhp

max speed 155mph

0-6 mph 4.9 secs

but you pay twice as much to buy an skiyline what a waste.

check the poor supra that has been change into an skyline too:(