The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DAW build - Dressed to kill- full carbon wide body

Rob_Mitchell

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a right build this, showed a few of the guys who could never work out why you went auto last time all impress this time around.

the grey with the gold will go perfect.

heading the right way to being the forums best this id say.

Obviously people who have no idea about supra's I guess?

• 2 weeks later...

Gold plated the PHR billet top water neck which will hopefully clear the frame of the turbo now. I have yet again changed the cam pulley cover design as something was just not right and was bugging the hell out of me. I think it was the fact it was too much gold in 1 area on the engine, smack bang on top too. soooo, i got some 2mm aluminium and made a sheild/plaque to go on the top, this ill have engraved with scroll work and then chromed. Ill simply just rivet it on once finished and i think this will be the look im after. Get rid of any motif too as i quickly out grew that idea and looked cheap

Also just mocking the top rad hose up, will 110% be getting shorter black rubber joiners

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

If you do take it on track just a quick 1 about the brakes, the calipers you have suffer terribly from pad knockback so you may want to install some check valves in the lines to combat this.

why would this be the case on these callipers in particular? i have used a few different K-Sport kits on different cars (as well as the big names like AP, Brembo and Stop-Tech). I have never had any problems from any of them on road or track.

***I only ask as I have a new 6-speed on the way and was going to go k-sport on it as i've never had and issues and with the right pad and fluid set up found them to have as good a "feel" and same stopping power as others***

Edited by TOMMO-RH9 (see edit history)

why would this be the case on these callipers in particular? i have used a few different K-Sport kits on different cars (as well as the big names like AP, Brembo and Stop-Tech). I have never had any problems from any of them on road or track.

***I only ask as I have a new 6-speed on the way and was going to go k-sport on it as i've never had and issues and with the right pad and fluid set up found them to have as good a "feel" and same stopping power as others***

Bignum is not referring to them being inferior to other brake kits, his is referring to the K-Sport kits being vulnerable to pad knock back. Under some conditions the pads can rattle and push the pistons back into the caliper, so when you go for the brakes the brake pedal will just hit the floor as the pistons are just taking up the slack of where they have been pushed back into the caliper, so no braking whatsoever! A check valve needs to be fitted to prevent this.

AP brakes have springs behind the pistons (so I'm told) to prevent this, I assume Brembo calipers have something similar.

Bignum is not referring to them being inferior to other brake kits, his is referring to the K-Sport kits being vulnerable to pad knock back. Under some conditions the pads can rattle and push the pistons back into the caliper, so when you go for the brakes the brake pedal will just hit the floor as the pistons are just taking up the slack of where they have been pushed back into the caliper, so no braking whatsoever! A check valve needs to be fitted to prevent this.

AP brakes have springs behind the pistons (so I'm told) to prevent this, I assume Brembo calipers have something similar.

Yeah exactly what I was asking. Wanted to know whether Bignum had had them on his car and had had this happen, or whether it was some forum chat or negative reviews that I missed. As I said I have used many brake kits including K-Sports (currently have 380mm set on the front of R34 that i'm selling) and never had this issue on the road or track? If this has happened to him then I may have to reconsider my choice for the incoming 6-Speed...

Yeah exactly what I was asking. Wanted to know whether Bignum had had them on his car and had had this happen, or whether it was some forum chat or negative reviews that I missed. As I said I have used many brake kits including K-Sports (currently have 380mm set on the front of R34 that i'm selling) and never had this issue on the road or track? If this has happened to him then I may have to reconsider my choice for the incoming 6-Speed...

It's not a negative review of the brakes at all, in fact I wouldn't hesitate about fitting K'Sports to mine in the future as I use my brakes hard, and a good friend has them fitted and they are a very good upgrade. It's just down to the design of the caliper that you have to fit a check valve to prevent pad knock back. It's not just forum chat or a bad review, as I've seen the outcome of the pad knock back on these calipers in a high speed crash without any stopping power, and that's what brought it to light. The positive about it is how well the shell of the car that crashed held together from the impact, it was scrap, but you wouldn't have known front doors back if you couldn't have seen the ripples through the whole floor of the car lol Great cars!

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Not really updated for a while. I managed to get new mechman alternator from SRD (polished version) very happy with the quality and looks, miles better than stock looking alternator. I also got a new billet cam belt tensioner bracket and idler pulley, cam belt and tensioner.

I decided my super rare greddy oil cap wasnt good enough for the build, so i managed to win a bid on a genuine rolex dial face and bezel/glass. Was very tricky to accomplish as the greddy recess was 38mm and the watch bezel was much greater, so i had to set up the lathe and bore it out correctly. something different and a nice talking point on the engine. not something i have seen done before.

I have a feeling, even though I don't know u at all... Your strive for perfection may have you in the near future add a mechanism and hands to that Bessel [emoji51]

Dooooo it. I'd try too, although mine would of started out as a Casio G-shock ha.

All, looks crazy good. [emoji1360]