The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting and running problems (renamed)

Guest zeeok

Guest zeeok

hi

i have a 1993 supra N/A auto

this started a couple of weeks ago

i was driving along the road and when i put the foot down the car just coughed and spluttered and my engine management light came on

low revs it was fine then the light went off

yesterday (first time id used it since) on way home from work it started to cough and splutter (like a miss fire) without putting the foot down

i went to start the car today and it wouldnt starrt so i opened the bonnet to take a look and there was a air sensor (am just guessing at this point lol ) i geuss hanging beside the air box and a hole so i put it back in......car still wouldnt start. i took the sensor thingy back out and wiggled it a bit then put it back in and the car started.......i have no idea if it was with what i was doing or just coincidence ...i was driving home and the put the foot down a little to overtake someone and the car just died again....then away it went so i limped home]

Any ideas appriciated

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of which will be costing you power and response.

Yes I now understand this is the case but I will be putting the standard airbox back on soon when I remove my first cat and reinstalling the air temp sensor ........none of which helps th OP with his problems ...

• 5 weeks later...

ok update.....a mechanic has plugged in a dianostics machine gave him 2 error codes and 3 errors.....can anybody give me some advise

CODES

code 12

code 24

ERRORS

crank shaft position sensor

air temp sensor

distributor start circuit module fault

can one of these make the other show up?

cant find these parts local so suggestions as where to buy would be good also

Thanks

went to toyota yesterday and at first the guy told me this was a distrtibutor problem....new £450

i went home took some pictures of my engine and emailed them to him now its a throttle body sensor problem ....new £450

the guy at toyota has told me that there is no listing for a cam/crank porition sensor ...although they are availible to buy on internet

any help on this would be much appriciated

thanks

Well, firstly yes Toyota have the diagnostics etc but if you let them work on the car it will be super expensive!

Have you checked the above what people have told you?

Water in the spark plugs at the top of the engine could be the issue but it would run crap all the time.

If your confident Toyota have diagnosed it right I'd pm Keiron on here and see if he has the parts you require

Guest Budz86

As people have said, try keron for parts or Steve Manley at Toyota Oxford (do a search for him on here).

With any form of car diagnostic like this the first things you should investigate is fuel, air and spark. Sounds to me like it could be something to do with that dizzy cap as it might be fine at low rpm, but isn't able to fire fast enough when you want to put your foot down. Try cleaning the contacts with a bit of emery paper and see of that helps, also check the spark plus but they are a pita to get at on the NA's!

Alternatively, where in the country are you based? Any of our traders close to you? Far better knowledge and cheaper than Toyota! Lol

i see what people have said on here about spark plugs and fuel it was a mechanic that hooked up a machine and gave me the abover results so i didnt think it would have been plugs or fuel

the guy at toyota didnt even see the car i just told him the results of the dionostics test and that was what he said was wrong with it

could a dodgy dizzy cap or lack of fuel or spark plugs be bringing up these errors?

i do appriciate the help guys its been 4 - 5 weeks without my car now lol

Hi Bud,

I reckon contacting one of the Deen members might be your best bet, they are pretty clued up and could probably find the problem. Obviously if they are free, try Monsween (Kieren).

I would not be buying £450 sensors just yet, as Toyota dealerships (mostly) are not all that clued up on our cars. This might sound really silly but have you checked the battery terminals?

Ahhh I see, you need to be a full member to be able to use the PM system.

Sometimes when the terminals are loose or not connecting fully with the battery it can cause juddering and it can cause the car to cut out, its less likely to be this issue, but its always nice to check it off the list.

O2 (Lamda) sensors can cause some very strange issues with regards to response and chances are that they are due a re-fresh if you have not done these yet, NA having 2.

Maybe have a think about joining the club as a fully paid member bud, you will get access to the classifieds sections, and once the fault is found you will most probably be able to source the bits needed from a member. Might even pay to be a member with the savings :thumbs:

Guest Budz86
Get ya wallet out mate £10 and the forum will open up for you.

I've saved thousands on here £10 is nawt

:yeahthat:

With an average of 10% saved on oem parts alone its worth it. And that's forgetting the free advice from some very clever people that have done everything possible with these cars......and us lot! :D

Mine rarely goes to the garage unless it's for mods, the little stuff is all done at home thanks to this place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump, mate just got this and were trying to sort the problem. It drove back to his on Monday fine with no hassle, the description we got sounded like the distributor was on its last legs, Just changed the distributor and it's still cranking but won't turn over. Just away to check the spark plug chambers 3and 4 like craig suggested above

Any ideas?

Edit

Just checked for stored codes and it's coming up with codes 12, 13 and 24

Edited by drift_bear (see edit history)