The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting and running problems (renamed)

Guest zeeok

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well spark is one area to check. So check water on plug wells. This can be very intermittent to constant.

The check for fuel.

Remove the battery for a while or main fuse, google which, that will remove codes and u can go again. But water in the Clark chamber brought me 3 faults entirely unrelated to the water. Cleaned it out and everything went away!

Well spark is one area to check. So check water on plug wells. This can be very intermittent to constant.

The check for fuel.

Remove the battery for a while or main fuse, google which, that will remove codes and u can go again. But water in the Clark chamber brought me 3 faults entirely unrelated to the water. Cleaned it out and everything went away!

I know to disconnect the battery and that will erase all the codes so I can then recheck. Cause we can't get the car to my house I'm doing this in the street between snow showers :( it's going to be a long day

Code 12 is the Crankshaft position sensor. When this goes wrong you'll have starting and running problems ;)

A lot of the problems in this area in the past has not been due to the sensor itself, but the sprocket it reads coming free from the crank.

Code 12 is the Crankshaft position sensor. When this goes wrong you'll have starting and running problems ;)

A lot of the problems in this area in the past has not been due to the sensor itself, but the sprocket it reads coming free from the crank.

I asked keron a few weeks back for a crankshaft position sensor and he said the NA's didn't have one :think: where about is it located ian? Am I able to fix/clean it or do I need a new one?

After getting the issue about crankshaft position sensor on an NA sorted, I went back and checked over all the connections, timing and plugs. Everything seemed to be ok until I noticed the plug on the side of the distributor wasn't on proper, quick push together and I'm getting some progress!

Now instead of the engine just cranking and nothing happening, it's now cranking and trying to turn over fully but not quite making it! I took of the oil cap and there was a little smell of fuel in it. This would of been caused by the excessive turning over/cranking the last few days by my mate and a couple of times today by me.

Tonight once my mate gets home from work, we're going to check how healthy the battery is and put in some more fuel (it's currently on the last line before empty). Anymore ideas on what to check?

Make sure the pump's pumping dude. And also when it does run, have a sniff at the back of the car. If it smells mega fuelly it could be a ECT sensor flooding it up. Spray a bit of easy start up the air intake and if it fires up, it's a fuel problem, not ignition

Make sure the pump's pumping dude. And also when it does run, have a sniff at the back of the car. If it smells mega fuelly it could be a ECT sensor flooding it up. Spray a bit of easy start up the air intake and if it fires up, it's a fuel problem, not ignition

Going to do a check on the fuel pump that homer told me about to test if it's running proper. There's fuel getting to the chambers cause when we took the new plug out of chamber 1 to do the timing I checked to see if you could smell fuel on it

How much fuel though? Bear in mind that although fuel evaporates quickly, the smell may not.

I bridged the +B and FP in the diagnostic port to check the pump is working and then turned it over using that method, still no luck !

Is the rotor arm in the dizzy in the correct place?

Yeah te rotor arm is pointing to 1 on the dizzy, we set all that up with Craig (dr_jekyyl) yesterday dude.

Just checked all fuses and everything is ok, done an error code check again and it's still throwing up code 12