The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting and running problems (renamed)

Guest zeeok

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's either igniter, disi pickup coil, or wiring issue between the igniter / disi / ecu.. After messing with no spark engines you often need to sand blast or renew the plugs to get them to start, after the no spark issue is corrected. Reading the correct pages in the workshop manual would make diagnosis a lot easier for you....

It's either igniter, disi pickup coil, or wiring issue between the igniter / disi / ecu.. After messing with no spark engines you often need to sand blast or renew the plugs to get them to start, after the no spark issue is corrected. Reading the correct pages in the workshop manual would make diagnosis a lot easier for you....

There's already a new dizzy, igniter, coilpack and plugs in chris. Going to try new ht leads and if that doesn't work, then it's off to a car electrician to get wiring checked

It won't be the HT leads unless the king lead (disi to coil) is *W I D E* open which can check in 3 seconds with a cheap multimeter. Needs a scope on the disi trigger coil, then on the igniter, then on the coil trigger side. To be honest many of these none start issues could be identified by a decent garage in next to no time. Factor in your time (which you MUST do, unless you have rewritten the economics books) and swapping stuff out ad hoc is more costly than paying a pro.

It won't be the HT leads unless the king lead (disi to coil) is *W I D E* open which can check in 3 seconds with a cheap multimeter. Needs a scope on the disi trigger coil, then on the igniter, then on the coil trigger side. To be honest many of these none start issues could be identified by a decent garage in next to no time. Factor in your time (which you MUST do, unless you have rewritten the economics books) and swapping stuff out ad hoc is more costly than paying a pro.

It's still throwing up a code 12, so it's been booked into a car electrician to get the wiring checked. There's no such thing as a decent garage up this way that I would trust on a supra tbh, that's why we do it ourselfs

Bloody `ell, and you want independence? ;)

If I couldn't find why there was no spark in half an hour I'd offer to go dry over Christmas....

No race car places that do Motec or other high end ECU installs.? Should be simple for such a gaff to sort it.

No mate, AFAIK there's one place that "does" that, but they couldn't store a base map onto an apexi ecu!

It's still throwing up a code 12, so it's been booked into a car electrician to get the wiring checked. There's no such thing as a decent garage up this way that I would trust on a supra tbh, that's why we do it ourselfs

Very true. I could not find a good reputable garage anywhere in Scotland. Thars why I DIY

Very true. I could not find a good reputable garage anywhere in Scotland. Thars why I DIY

That's why we're trying everything before resorting putting it into a car electrician to check all the wiring :(

I don't mind getting my hands dirty but when it comes to electronics i don't touch lol

• 2 weeks later...
Going to share this with us? My bet is, it was the disi, (reluctor coil issues).... ???

Had to put in another new distributor cause the one i first got had cracks on the metal shaft that goes into the engine, so replaced that it still wouldn't run! Luckily drift_bear bought a spare ecu just incase, so put that in and boom she turned over perfect!